GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

tonight the sabres were not the better team.

overall they may be.

If you can go into a (strong) opponent's house after a 5-day layoff, having just come from your city which has been nailed by a deadly snowstorm, and get ANY points, much less the win, you're the better team in my book. And that's after spotting them a 2-0 lead on boneheaded miscues.

If you can go into a (strong) opponent's house after a 5-day layoff, having just come from your city which has been nailed by a deadly snowstorm, and get ANY points, much less the win, you're the better team in my book. And that's after spotting them a 2-0 lead on boneheaded miscues.

ok, ok, i'm with you on that... the sabres pretty much sucked for half the game, however, they won despite mother nature and the schedule. they also beat hasek and the Things. therefore, they are the better team!

4-0-0 bi+ches!

imo the only pretty part of the sabres game tonight was obviously miller, & special teams. don't get me wrong, i would have been happy with a OT loss, or shootout loss, or just a hard fought regulation loss. not going to change my oppinion on the sabres skill.

but it doesn't take a genius to know the red wings overall played a better game than the sabres tonight.

Trust me, worse things than this were uttered on the ice tonight. I guarantee it.

I have nothing against the current version of the Red Wings, since now they actually have to play by the same rules everyone else does. When they were spending 300% more a year than we were, it was another story. Had Yzerman been in the shootout, it would have gone Assclown, Assclown, the Captain, Assclown.

Nothing to do with sportsmanship. I couldn't remember who shot first and didn't want to call him an assclown and leave his teammates out.

Thanks for the support :)

And I WILL be back. I have a lot to say about hockey, and a lot of questions too :o

imo the only pretty part of the sabres game tonight was obviously miller, & special teams. don't get me wrong, i would have been happy with a OT loss, or shootout loss, or just a hard fought regulation loss. not going to change my oppinion on the sabres skill.

but it doesn't take a genius to know the red wings overall played a better game than the sabres tonight.

Yeah, but you can also say that they didn't get the job done............. B-)

Thanks for the support :)

And I WILL be back. I have a lot to say about hockey, and a lot of questions too :o

Cool by me. Anyone who loves hockey and is intelligent is always welcome - regardless of who they root for (even Leafs' and Flyer fans - not that I've seen any evidence of intelligence with either).

oh come on, the sabres were terrible in the 1st... the 2nd was even, and the 3rd was marred by crappy penalties... if anything the matchup was even. I'm not saying that the sabres didn't deserve to win. 2 power play goals, a full 2:00 5 on 3 kill. and an OT penalty kill is very deserving. however, i think eveyrone can agree that the sabres did not bring their A game. I just hope it shows up against the rangers tomorrow. By the way, if we get 4 points out of this weekend, which i hope we'll do, it will be a great weekend.

Miller stole one tonight, and how good it feels to be able to say that again.

This was like a 1998-1999 Sabres game.

Just as a follow-up, despite how poorly the Sabres played, they STILL won. That my friends is the hallmark of a team that is REALLY good.

I can't wait until Connolly gets back. Assuming he can stay healthy.

connolly... damn...

we're kicking butt with jiri novotny... i can't imagine how good we'll be with connolly... FWIW, let the dude sit as long as possible... we'll just use timmy for the stretch run and playoffs

Ok, I had to manually record CI tonight because my TiVo picked up 636 which I don't get. The fuggin' thing stopped after 30 minutes!!! I watched through the 2nd - paused and came back to NOTHING!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Man, I am pissed.

Ok, I had to manually record CI tonight because my TiVo picked up 636 which I don't get. The fuggin' thing stopped after 30 minutes!!! I watched through the 2nd - paused and came back to NOTHING!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Man, I am pissed.

its ok... just another ho hum shootout victory over dominik hasek

Man, I am pissed.

Dude, remove all 600-699 channels that Sabres games may be on. That way, if you have the 700's in your channel listing, you'll get the games and not blank screen. Tivo always records on the lower channel.

Man, I am pissed.

weird. the same thing happened to me -- my tivo just randomly stopped recording after 54 minutes. Fortunately I was watching when it happened and was able to manually record the rest of the game, so I didn't miss it. But this episode definitely makes me concerned about getting screwed at some point in the future.

Dude, remove all 600-699 channels that Sabres games may be on. That way, if you have the 700's in your channel listing, you'll get the games and not blank screen. Tivo always records on the lower channel.

DC Sabres -- on a scale of 1 to 10, how confident are you in this pronouncement? I have never noticed this, but it could certainly be true. Also, I'm not sure it would work for those of us in the NYC area, b/c I think when the Sabres play the Devils, Rangers or Islanders, the channel in the 700s is blacked out and you have to watch it on the RSN in the 600s.

What a great win. That freak goal really had us back on our heels. Peters singlehandedly changed the momentum and got us back in the game. Miller was extremely sharp and kept us in it. Detroit dominated most of the 1st, got the better of the 2nd (but it was a bit closer) and then it was pretty even in the 3rd and OT. Still, the play was in our end much more than it was in Detroit's.

A few observations:

1. Am I crazy, or did we see the torch officially pass from Dominik to Miller? I think Miller may have wrestled it out of Dom's gnarled fingers. Miller is officially a franchise goalie.

2. Max's last penalty was a phantom call, but his 1st 3 were bonehead penalties. Too many of those team-wide again tonight.

3. Good to see Kotalik pot the game-winner in the SO, even if it doesn't count in his stats. He needs to start filling it up.

4. A quietly very strong game, under heavy pressure, from Lydman and Tallinder.

5. It seemed like we had a number of problems on D playing the puck off the boards behind our net. I think the Wings really know how to work the bounces.

6. Detroit is really good. Even though they have 6 guys age 35 or older, they are still a fast team. Still, I can't believe they risked their season on Dom staying healthy. He seemed to get up slowly and gingerly a few times tonight. It's just hard to imagine him staying healthy for a deep run in the playoffs.

7. My 3 stars: 1 - Miller; 2 - Lydman; 3 - Drury.

8. Starting off 4-0 against those 4 teams, with 3 on the road, is pretty amazing.

Go Sabres.

What a great win. That freak goal really had us back on our heels. Peters singlehandedly changed the momentum and got us back in the game. Miller was extremely sharp and kept us in it. Detroit dominated most of the 1st, got the better of the 2nd (but it was a bit closer) and then it was pretty even in the 3rd and OT. Still, the play was in our end much more than it was in Detroit's.

A few observations:

1. Am I crazy, or did we see the torch officially pass from Dominik to Miller? I think Miller may have wrestled it out of Dom's gnarled fingers. Miller is officially a franchise goalie.

2. Max's last penalty was a phantom call, but his 1st 3 were bonehead penalties. Too many of those team-wide again tonight.

3. Good to see Kotalik pot the game-winner in the SO, even if it doesn't count in his stats. He needs to start filling it up.

4. A quietly very strong game, under heavy pressure, from Lydman and Tallinder.

5. It seemed like we had a number of problems on D playing the puck off the boards behind our net. I think the Wings really know how to work the bounces.

6. Detroit is really good. Even though they have 6 guys age 35 or older, they are still a fast team. Still, I can't believe they risked their season on Dom staying healthy. He seemed to get up slowly and gingerly a few times tonight. It's just hard to imagine him staying healthy for a deep run in the playoffs.

7. My 3 stars: 1 - Miller; 2 - Lydman; 3 - Drury.

8. Starting off 4-0 against those 4 teams, with 3 on the road, is pretty amazing.

Go Sabres.

Good call on Lydman - he was blocking shots left and right.

Not sure how thee do it but these guys are in every game. How do you get outshot like that and still come out on top? Amazing. And I didnt think that Peters would have much of an impact at all this year, but he got their blood flowing and after his fight they played decent hockey.

Miller - 1st star. He owned Detroit.

Lydman - 2nd star - just so solid back there.

Peters - 3rd star - momentum changer.

Sorry. Too busy to read all 120 posts. But from the posts I did read I am surprised Vanek isn't getting more talk. He scored a big goal and if a lesser goalie is in net he could have had 2 or three more.

I know it's only four games. But I think Vanek is showing flashes of what a complete player he can be. If he plays at this level this season and for the rest of his career this kid will be a superstar.