GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I really really don't wanna be a downer......but the shots after one period are: 16-3 for Detroit. Buffalo should be happy to still be in it. I'm sure they'll come out flyin next period as I'm sure Ruff is gonna light a match under some butts!!

He's been known to do that. I remember just how livid he was when Darcy Tucker kneed Jochen Hecht -- and justifiably so.

It's called A WEEK OFF! No legs to start. I expect a better final 2/3 of the game.

And how brutal is the ice??? OH my god the puck is hopping around like a bunny rabbit.

Seriously. The NHL needs to have stricter guidelines as far as ice conditions go. It is embarassing.

Great Shot by your cap'n. Great Goal. You guys totally earned that one. Both teams are playin good hockey :)

You're displaying quite a bit of class. I'm sure there's quite a few Sabres fans here who appreciate that -- and I'm one of them.

Question # 1 : Yeah the Joe Louis Arena is widely known for having the most lively boards. There are also a alot of bumps in the ice that players sometimes take advantage of.

# 2 : I wouldnt worry about the PP if I were you either. You're way too good of a team not to put some in the net. It just takes a bit for the team to get back to buisness and learn each other's tendancies. It took us a while as well. We sucked in the preaseaon.

# 3 : If I know anything about your coach (little, if any :) ) then there will be loud noises coming from the locker room. Hopefully there will be an even closer 2nd. It will make both teams try harder, and have better hockey for us fans!

Great Shot by your cap'n. Great Goal. You guys totally earned that one. Both teams are playin good hockey :)

you're either very polite or flat out nuts... :P

Horrible hockey on the Sabres part.

Can anyone explain the Peters fight to me? Was there bad blood between the two?

you're either very polite or flat out nuts... :P

Horrible hockey on the Sabres part.

Can anyone explain the Peters fight to me? Was there bad blood between the two?

It was a "We're down 2 goals and need someone to fire us up" fight.

Question # 1 : Yeah the Joe Louis Arena is widely known for having the most lively boards. There are also a alot of bumps in the ice that players sometimes take advantage of.

# 2 : I wouldnt worry about the PP if I were you either. You're way too good of a team not to put some in the net. It just takes a bit for the team to get back to buisness and learn each other's tendancies. It took us a while as well. We sucked in the preaseaon.

# 3 : If I know anything about your coach (little, if any :) ) then there will be loud noises coming from the locker room. Hopefully there will be an even closer 2nd. It will make both teams try harder, and have better hockey for us fans!

Thanks for the info. You Wings fans are alright.

Lindy Ruff is the Jack Adams winner, and knowing him your prediction is correct.

I am a little concerned that we seem to be coming out flat early in the games (with the exception of Ottawa). I will blame it on the week off for now.

It was a "We're down 2 goals and need someone to fire us up" fight.

Exactly right. An "Old Time Hockey" move that seldom gets used in this day and age. Nowadays, the team with momentum rarely sends out their guy because it works so damn well for the trailing club. Just another reason to hate Gary Bettemen.

They seemed to be getting their legs under them near the end, which is good. So much for the "luxury" of having five days off. I think the first five minutes of this next period will set the tone for the rest of the game.

An extended layoff is hardly ever good for a team, no matter how good they are.

I like to think of garbage goal as completely earned. Your team saw us collapse, and then crashed the net. Like I said... great goal.

For that fight, they interviewed Norton in the Detroit Feed and he said that they had a scrap a few years ago, but it was mutual respect when they were chirping at eachother in the box.

and to SabresInAL : thanks, I try to see things through hockey eyes, not Detroit-colored-shades. That said, I'm still a huge Wings fan :)

So what else is new? :(

Not much. Detroit is talented enough that they don't need the officiating inequity. If you're going to call the ticky-tack stuff, call it both ways. Lidstrom got his stick on Pom's hands on the partial break. That's a penalty. Pom was clearly interfered with at about 30 seconds left in the first, with a chance to create a chance. That's a penalty. The call on Spacek was crap. The no-call on Draper, followed by TWO penalties against us on the same sequence is crap.

Frankly, I'm getting a bit sick of it.

Why isn't anyone in the chat room?

You should have seen the Red Wings 1st game vs. the Canucks. Phantom calls, bad plays, etc.

I watched the second and third of that game. Wings were like 0-for-9 or something on the PP. Luongo was pretty damn good that night. Wings moved the puck pretty well during the time I was watching.

31-8 shots on goal (or something close to that), yet its 2-2 with the late tying goal by vanek... this is one hell of a good team. now they need to close out the 3rd period... play smarter hockey (i.e. cut kalinin immediately... do not even allow him to come out of the dressing room) and get some traffic to hasek. he's still got his reflexes, but he's way slow and if you can possibly get him moving laterally you may have the GWG. they just have to maintain focus and not take dumb penalties in the 3rd. Also, miller must continue to make smart decisions... "hasek batting" the puck, and the misplay that cost him the 1st goal were bad decisions... tighten up, move the puck, and we should all be blessed with some favorable results...

Why isn't anyone in the chat room?

I watched the second and third of that game. Wings were like 0-for-9 or something on the PP. Luongo was pretty damn good that night. Wings moved the puck pretty well during the time I was watching.

Hate to double post, but that was NOT the Wings that night. What you saw in the 1st period of this game was the Wings. Thats how we won 52 out of 82 games last year.

Like I said... Dont worry about your PP :)

But just a warning. The Detroit Red Wings are a THIRD period team. We will bring it in the 3rd. I hope the Sabres do too. This game really got interesting. And I expected NO less ;)

i'll throw that warning back at you... the sabres are the best 3rd period team in the NHL for the past year and 2 weeks... its going to be intense