Short Bus SabreTooth

That Aud Smell

In the same vein as the post about the in-game girl who apparently took the Why Guy's gig -- I wanted to remark on the new Sabretooth I saw in-game on Saturday.

Something's wrong with him, man. My buddies and I were trying to put our collective finger on it -- it's not just the color change, nor his inability to bang on a drum.

We resolved our distaste was the combined effect of the shorter fangs ("More like stub-tooth" my one buddy remarked) and something about his eyes ("Did Sabretooth used to have eyelids? Cos now he looks hopped up on meth now" another one of us quipped). The long and short, SabreTooth looked to us like he should be wearing a helmet at all times, if you follow my attempt at "PC" communication. Think "extra chromosome" Sabretooth.

Thoughts?

Oh the inanity!

Did anyone else notice that Doug Allen was not on the ice when he sang the anthem? Is this new?

Maybe Doug and SabreTooth went to the same plastic surgeon for makeovers, and only Doug's turned out? :)

hilarious, PA.

we had the same thought: why's doug over there in the 100s? there's a lot of that kind of tinkering with the in-game experience by LQ et al. -- some of it for good, some for bad.

based on what i saw saturday, though, they've made a few very bad decisions this year -- almost like they were sitting around brainstorming the in-game production, couldn't help themselves, had to make some changes no matter what in order to justify the lunch they had ordered in for the meeting.

as for the anthem singer somewhere other than the ice surface, WTF?! i mean, is it not enough that all anthem singers have traditionally trotted out on to the ice to sing for the past 4+ decades? (with the attendant comedy potential of a slip and fall (paging mr. tynan).)

that's just how everyone rolls, right? when the anthem's performed at its best -- i'm thinking of some of the canadian anthem singers like that guy last year in edmonton, decked out in his regalia, letting the crowd take over -- it's a cool pre-game rally for the fans, with attention focused where the game will soon be played.

putting doug up in the 100s makes him just another part of the in-game promotions -- and harkens back to the ill-fated key-tar organ guy they had years ago.

put doug back on the ice!

Oh the inanity!

Did anyone else notice that Doug Allen was not on the ice when he sang the anthem? Is this new?

Maybe Doug and SabreTooth went to the same plastic surgeon for makeovers, and only Doug's turned out? :)

Doug Allen is great! Just don't bring back the girl who told the crowd in mid song..."I can't hear you!!" or the guy who kept forgetting the words to the Canadien anthem.

PS They did this(anthem singer in the crowd) several times last year and I'm not sure what the logic is behind it. Must be the result of another one of Quinny's brainstorming sessions! :lol:

[edited]"That Aud Smell"...you and I must think alike. I didn't read your post prior to me writing about Quinny's brainstorming. :D

Did you Know I sat in the same aisle as Doug Allen and had a conversation with him between periods in the game 3 vs. Ottawa

He gets paid $50 to sing or he gets a ticket to the game...

I think he should get both but from what I am learning working down there, things aern't as they seem money wise with a Billionaire running the show

ha!

Did you Know I sat in the same aisle as Doug Allen and had a conversation with him between periods in the game 3 vs. Ottawa

He gets paid $50 to sing or he gets a ticket to the game...

I think he should get both but from what I am learning working down there, things aern't as they seem money wise with a Billionaire running the show

ha!

The money they save on this is spent on scouting travel costs....

No, that can't be right? We are doing scouting via videotape now, with 3 interns manning the shop. <_<

Seriously...could they throw a $100 bones AND a ticket to the game Doug's way for each game. Maybe the 3rd option was a coupon for a Happy Meal. <_<

Seriously...could they throw a $100 bones AND a ticket to the game Doug's way for each game.
My brother is the PA guy at Glendale Arena for the Phoenix Coyotes. Doug gets $50 for 2 to 3 minutes, my bro gets $200 for a couple hours of work. I'd say Doug is gettin' fair pay B-)

"Did Sabretooth used to have eyelids? Cos now he looks hopped up on meth now"

I just spit my water out all over the screen. That is funny sh#^t. We officially have Trailer Park Sabretooth.......No teeth, running a meth lab.

That's why he turned yellow.

Yeah. I like your avatar. ;)

That's very kind - much appreciated, Doo. (Or shoul it be "hickie"?)

One final thought on this before the season starts: Last night, I got a couple of images on my screen to compare the new and old Tooth, and toggled back and forth between them. My wife was looking over my shoulder and opined without prompting: "Wow. New Sabretooth was made on the cheap."

And that did it -- she hit it on the head -- that's the root cause of all the perceived differences that didn't add up to sum total. The old Tooth -- say what you will about his cartoonish nature -- looked like he was a legitimate mascot, at least from a craftsmanship standpoint.

The new Tooth looks like they got him off-the-rack at Big Lots.

Hey, Lar: Hope the savings of $5,000 was worth having a mascot who looks like he belongs in a minor league venue.

That's very kind - much appreciated, Doo. (Or shoul it be "hickie"?)

One final thought on this before the season starts: Last night, I got a couple of images on my screen to compare the new and old Tooth, and toggled back and forth between them. My wife was looking over my shoulder and opined without prompting: "Wow. New Sabretooth was made on the cheap."

And that did it -- she hit it on the head -- that's the root cause of all the perceived differences that didn't add up to sum total. The old Tooth -- say what you will about his cartoonish nature -- looked like he was a legitimate mascot, at least from a craftsmanship standpoint.

The new Tooth looks like they got him off-the-rack at Big Lots.

Hey, Lar: Hope the savings of $5,000 was worth having a mascot who looks like he belongs in a minor league venue.

Well they now have to watch where/how they spend their money. They are right up against the cap this year (a huge raise over last season) and are spending more then they took in last year so costs need to be cut in certain areas.

They saved money on a cheaper Sabretooth

They saved money getting rid of the Y-guy

They saved money by paying Doug in game tickets or $50

They saved money going to homevideo scouting

and They saved money using a discount logo designer (I thought I would throw that in for the logo fanatics)

I guess it was stay competitive and resign Briere or have those other Luxury's

Archived