Same old same old Bills

PASabreFan

Sorry, gotta be Mr. Negative again. Where have we seen this before...

1. Can't protect the quarterback.

2. Quarterback can't protect the ball.

3. Can't smash mouth the football in short yardage situations.

4. Sloppy coaching -- not challenging the Jets players out of bounds on the "touchdown" return; not challenging the apparent catch by Josh Reed on the ensuing possession that was ruled incomplete; not going into a hurry up with the wind advantage late in the third quarter; weird play calls on the fake field goal and third and short at the goal line (Losman boot).

5. Fans filing out with seven minutes to go...

6. Finding a way to create a glimmer of hope in the last minute only to throw two negative yardage passes, then throw a lame pass toward no one in particular along the sideline. Only the Bills can make you give up on the game, make it interesting with 1:00 to go, then suck even harder than they did before.

Sorry, gotta be Mr. Negative again. Where have we seen this before...

1. Can't protect the quarterback.

2. Quarterback can't protect the ball.

3. Can't smash mouth the football in short yardage situations.

4. Sloppy coaching -- not challenging the Jets players out of bounds on the "touchdown" return; not challenging the apparent catch by Josh Reed on the ensuing possession that was ruled incomplete; not going into a hurry up with the wind advantage late in the third quarter; weird play calls on the fake field goal and third and short at the goal line (Losman boot).

5. Fans filing out with seven minutes to go...

All training camp and preseason I have heard how this coaching staff is smarter then the last. I have yet to see proof. One win against a very bad Miami team that could barely beat the Titans at home. ;)

Another thing that doesn't change: the sad sack, no personality head coach who puts on the vacant stare during games. Phillips... Williams... Mularkey... Jauron. Think about it. It's scary. I know not all great coaches are firebrands -- see Bill Belichik, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Don Shula etc. But wouldn't it be refreshing to see a Bill Cowher on our sidelines. Or Bill Cowher! He wants out of the smelly senior citizen holding center known as Pittsburgh. Get him in here! :)

One thing that would greatly help is to discover the simplest play in the book -- the QB sneak. A QB Sneak may have saved the game at New England, and would have made more sense than that play-action naked bootleg abortion we attempted on 3rd and very short. Tuck his head and push, get the first down and then the TD.

Heck, both the Pats and the Jets yesterday have converted 3 4th downs with QB sneaks, yet we keep thinking we've got a better way.

And, I've been a huge supported of this Losman kid, but every time he gets a chance to "step up", he steps backwards. I mean, special teams got him a gift "last chance" at the end of the game and all he comes up with are two overthrows on the HB swing pass, and a hideous pass on 4th down. He was in a tough spot and the weather didn't help, but you get the feeling that there are a lot of QB's on other teams that would have given it a better go than JP.

At various times yesterday it seemed the coaching staff was channeling Mike Mularkey & co., as there were more than a few questionable decisions - not throwing the challenge flag on either fumble or the Reed catch; the fake FG; the fake toss/rollout Spandrel mentioned; and suspect playcalling at different points in the game.

Reminded me of the Mularkey & Clements era where they tried to out-cute the opposing D instead of calling the ncessary plays to keep drives going and put points on the board. Red-zone playcalling needs to improve a lot, IMO, and Willis needs to learn how to CONSISTENTLY pass protect or he isn't worth having in the backfield on passing downs.

I'm not happy that they lost, but we're right about where everyone thought we would be at this point in the season, at 1-3. Granted, most thought the Bills would have beaten the Jets and not the Fins in Miami, but most also thought the Pats would have blown us off the field, so I am encouraged for the most part. I enjoy watching them, I think they (including Losman) are making progress, and it should be an entertaining season...

At least we have the Sabres.

Also, things could be worse. We could have the Houston Texans or the NY Giants.

Man, do I miss Marv Levy as coach! At least he actually knew what he was doing. The Bills have either been letting go of coaches or they've been resigning more times than a Civil War cannon has been fired.

As far as coaching tenure is concerned, the Bills need to look no further than the HSBC Arena and see someone who's been there for at least ten years. Ahem (while I clear my throat)! Hints, anyone??? :ph34r:

Listening to JP's comments after the game, it sounded like the play was predicated on the end continuing to crash down and catching them in overpursuit, and not someone missing a block. Maybe I am reading too much into his answer, but after hearing that, it came across as another instance of trying to get too cute. Plus, it was 3rd-and-1 on the 1-yard line. Healthy FB or not, there is no excuse for not getting one yard to get into the EZ; QB sneak, putting a TE into the backfield (the Jets did it to us on their last TD, IIRC), something...

Listening to JP's comments after the game, it sounded like the play was predicated on the end continuing to crash down and catching them in overpursuit, and not someone missing a block. Maybe I am reading too much into his answer, but after hearing that, it came across as another instance of trying to get too cute. Plus, it was 3rd-and-1 on the 1-yard line. Healthy FB or not, there is no excuse for not getting one yard to get into the EZ; QB sneak, putting a TE into the backfield (the Jets did it to us on their last TD, IIRC), something...

I didn't hear these comments and I haven't seen the replay in a while now, but it sounds to me like JP doesn't want to throw anyone under the bus for a missed block.

I didn't hear these comments and I haven't seen the replay in a while now, but it sounds to me like JP doesn't want to throw anyone under the bus for a missed block.

Actually, I think Losman is right. That was a naked bootleg, where everyone blocks right and the QB runs left. Not a bad call for a QB like Losman, but the execution was pretty bad. The fake handoff wasn't good enough to pull the DE inside.

This game was lost in the trenches and on turnovers. The Jets dominated in short yardage situations on both sides of the ball, and caused crucial turnovers.

I'd add the defenses inability to generate any pressure on Pennington to PA's original list. Considering that the Jets O-line had a couple of rookies, Schoebel's play was especially disappointing.

If this game was played in year 1 of the Bills rebuilding plan (on the fans' calendar), this game would probably be viewed more positively. Losman and McGahee had some big plays. Parrish looks like a legitimate threat. Evans finally showed up.

But since the Bills were unable to gain any real traction during the Donahoe reign of error, this game does feel like more of the 'same old Bills.' I guess the answer is, unfortunately, more patience. :(

When does the Sabres season start again?

At least we know Losman is actually capable of throwing for 300.

I'm actually excited to see what he can do in more favorable conditions.

Also, I forget how the drive ended, but Peerless dropped a long throw from JP early in the game that should've resulted in a touchdown. That one hurt.

The thing that bugged me most about the naked bootleg and aborted fake FG attempt is that they were way too complicated. When you've got a young team prone to making mental errors, you really have to simplify the gameplan as much as possible at the start and then build from that.

3rd and 1 on the 2 yard line? QB Sneak! Or bring in Thomas and pound it up the gut. Forget this mularkey of trying to "outsmart" the other team. We always wind up just outsmarting ourselves.

If I'm remembering that play correctly, it's probably a little harsh to say he "dropped" it. He "dropped" it the way Ronnie Harmon dropped that pass in Cleveland... It would have been a good catch.

Yeah, JP was OK. I love the fourth down touchdown at the end in "garbage time." If these are the 1986/1987 Bills, you're looking for that whiff of Jim Kelly, and I saw a bit of it right there. I think Losman is going to be fine. So many other areas to worry about first before spinning the QB wheel of fortune again.

If I'm remembering that play correctly, it's probably a little harsh to say he "dropped" it. He "dropped" it the way Ronnie Harmon dropped that pass in Cleveland... It would have been a good catch.

Yeah, JP was OK. I love the fourth down touchdown at the end in "garbage time." If these are the 1986/1987 Bills, you're looking for that whiff of Jim Kelly, and I saw a bit of it right there. I think Losman is going to be fine. So many other areas to worry about first before spinning the QB wheel of fortune again.

Can't agree more. Doesn't matter who the QB is if we can't block for him (o-line and RB's) and our "D" can't create pressure and force turnovers. I like that he came into the press conferrence pissed off at the loss, like he expects more of himself, the team and the coaching staff. I think he'll be fine, given time to learn from these kind of games and mistakes. Now, if we could figure out how to get Willis to run the other 14 games of the year like he runs against the Jets...

Also, I forget how the drive ended, but Peerless dropped a long throw from JP early in the game that should've resulted in a touchdown. That one hurt.

If I am thinking of the same play, that one immediately preceded the fake FG brain fart by the coaching staff on the Bills' 2nd possession. He also had an incomplete pass to Price at the Jets 5 on the next possession, which was immediately followed by the 1st sack-n-fumble...

Either way, the drop (tough catch, granted, but something we should probably expect from a well-paid veteran WR) probably cost us at least 3 points and maybe 7, which would have been HUGE at that point in the game... up 14-0 rather than 7-0

What was so bad about calling the bootleg? If someone actually does their job and blocks the guy, JP walks into the endzone. There was no one on the entire left side of the field.

The play is designed to let that player go free. The assumption is that your young QB can out run an old fat lineman. :o

Anyway.

Anything other then pound the ball into the endzone is a bad call. ;)

The play is designed to let that player go free. The assumption is that your young QB can out run an old fat lineman. :o

Anyway.

Anything other then pound the ball into the endzone is a bad call. ;)

I'll drink to that - we had enough cutesy-ness with Mularkey, Clements and co., and I cannot believe that we can't get enough of a push for WM to get in from 1-yard out.

But since the threat of WM pounding it in from 1-yard out isn't realistic, I can completely understand why the end didn't bite on the play-fake - plus the fake came on 3rd down, which is when most defenses are looking for a play-fake. That play probably works on 1st a& G from the 1, but not on 3rd...

i just want to say i'm glad the bills can be discussed over on this site b/c there are too many maniacs running around TBD. i had this feeling the discussion would be more civil on this site.

i do hope that people continue to exhibit patience with jp. i agree that the coaching may have gotten too cute, which is surprising with this staff. i also think there are a lot of teams in this league not happy with their coaching staff and their QB's. it all comes down to instant gratification. eli manning is still having problems with some of the things that jp is still learning. we forget this guy still does not even have a full slate of nfl game experience under his belt.

i just want to say i'm glad the bills can be discussed over on this site b/c there are too many maniacs running around TBD. i had this feeling the discussion would be more civil on this site.

i do hope that people continue to exhibit patience with jp. i agree that the coaching may have gotten too cute, which is surprising with this staff. i also think there are a lot of teams in this league not happy with their coaching staff and their QB's. it all comes down to instant gratification. eli manning is still having problems with some of the things that jp is still learning. we forget this guy still does not even have a full slate of nfl game experience under his belt.

There are some strange threads and opinions over there...I think some people on TBD start tailgating on Tuesday at around 4 p.m., and don't stop drinking until, well, I don't know if they do...

I am happy with JP's progression this year, I really am. He has shown the rookie-type mental gaffes and errors that we expected, but he looks 1000% more comfortable on the field, and he is showing that he can make mistakes and learn from them, and is starting to show us on a regular basis the physical tools that had the Bills and other teams intrigued before the draft. As a bonus, he looks like he is slowly starting to assume a leadership role on both the O and on the team, based on his comments to the press after Sunday's game. If he keeps progressing the way he has - a couple little steps here and there, then a medium-sized jump, then a couple more baby steps - we should have a pretty good QB in the backfield come November/December.

I, too, was surprised by a couple of the coaching staff's decisions on Sunday - it seemed totally out of character for a Jauron-led coaching staff. My feeling in regards to that is this staff seems willing to acknowledge when things don't work and will make adjustments from week to week (and hopefully at halftime each week) while staying patient with young players who are getting their first doses of regular NFL action and aren't being thrown under the bus for little things.

At the very least, it should make for an interesting 13 games...

Archived