GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

MartyHavlatismyGOD

Heya Folks, its been a long summer, but finally winding down and getting back into hockey! I'll be heading to Scotiabank Place for the game tonight and will do my best to give an unbiased report afterwords on how the game went.

Why you going to Scotiabank Place? Shouldn't you be heading to the United Center? :P

Now that your screen namesake is no longer there, who's your new boy?

One last one. How do you think the changes to the roster will work out?

Welcome back.

Heya Folks, its been a long summer, but finally winding down and getting back into hockey! I'll be heading to Scotiabank Place for the game tonight and will do my best to give an unbiased report afterwords on how the game went.

MHIMG - how are you man?

Looking forward to your evaluation.

In other news, I am hoping that Max's knee isn't serious.

"Hamel, a 29-year-old left wing battling for a roster spot with the Senators after leading the AHL in goals last season with 56, scored three straight times in a 3:22 span of the second period. He began the run with an even-strength goal, added a power-play score and finished the hat trick with a short-handed goal."

Wow.

"Hamel, a 29-year-old left wing battling for a roster spot with the Senators after leading the AHL in goals last season with 56, scored three straight times in a 3:22 span of the second period. He began the run with an even-strength goal, added a power-play score and finished the hat trick with a short-handed goal."

Wow.

Good for Hamel, it sounds like he has FINALLY recovered from the leg injury he suffered against the Isles. I honestly believed that after so much time being a shell of his former self that he'd never come back.

Bad for the Sabres, but I hold no ill will towards him.

Sorry it took so long to reply to this, had to drown my sorrows a little bit after a not so depressing loss.

First to answer all your questions.

I would have definately kept Wade Redden as opposed to Zdeno Chara. In the series VS Buffalo last year it was apparent that Chara could not at all keep up with the younger faster guys in the game. While he was a good shutdown man when he could legally pick up and pile drive opponents, he was not nearly as effective down the stretch.

2. I would not have fired bryan murray just yet. I agree that he was outcoached by lindy ruff, it was not his fault for an early playoff exit last year, ill give him this year to see if he has any effect on the players.

3. I really cannot comment on Martin Gerber at the moment, every time he played the sens last year he frustrated me because he always eemed to have their number. He is the type of goalie that can be a game breaker, but won't always be. He is no *healthy* dominek Hasek, but probably more reliable in the end.

4. I'm not completely sure what the united center is about. But the Scotia bank place had a healthy 17 000 people tonight, which isnt bad for a pre season game that did not feature too many big names

5. I think my new boy is Patrick Eaves, he works his ass off every night and plays as if he is 60 lbs heavier than he actually is. the man is a machine, and young. He will be captain one day.

6. I really was not impressed with Corvo at all so far, but i can't judge this early, I think Hennesy will be good one day, but not for another year or two in the AHL. Martin Havlat had to go as he was being way too greedy and the arbirtration system seemed to be setting salaries way too high. So i suppose i agree with the roster changes. For now.

7. Gerber will likely have 60 starts or so while Emery will have the remaining. Although that is just Speculation as i am not actually a part of the Sens organization.

Will comment more on the actual game later on. Right now i just need some sleep (3:20 am)

Thanks for the report. No tv coverage here so was just relying on RJ's call last night.

Sad to hear about Corvo breaking his foot. Even though I hate the Sens I was looking

forward to seeing Corvo play. How is the depth on your blueline? I guess I just realized that

Pothier is no longer there, what happened to him, I thought he was pretty solid.

Good to see Denny Hamel back in form. I think if he gets waived somebody is going to pick him up.

It would be sad to see him spend another 50 goal season in the A.

Did you get a good look at Vanek last night? We are all hoping he is much more fit than last

year. Also wondering how you sized up Spacek?

I agree, with your comments about Gerber. He'll be a gamer, and I don't think the Ottawa D will play

nearly as much puck dumping as Carolina did in the regular season last year. I think Buffalo has Emery number - it still doesn't sound like he has the lateral movement - Buffalo loved playing the puck cross crease against him. I think we will see Gerber against Buffalo all 8 times.

Vanek has the potential to be a monster... A hat trick in the preseason is a major start... Hope he doesn't start out slow again this year.

also, welcome back mhimg... The united center comment was in regards to havlat playing in the united center as a chicago blackhawk.

RECAP

OTTAWA (AP) -Thomas Vanek scored three goals to offset Denis Hamel's natural hat trick for Ottawa as the Buffalo Sabres beat the Senators 4-3 on Friday night in an exhibition game.

Hamel, a 29-year-old left wing battling for a roster spot with the Senators after leading the AHL in goals last season with 56, scored three straight times in a 3:22 span of the second period. He began the run with an even-strength goal, added a power-play score and finished the hat trick with a short-handed goal.

Chris Drury pulled Buffalo (2-1-0) even with a power-play goal in the third, and Vanek completed the scoring on a power play with 9:19 left.

Ottawa dropped to 1-2-0 in exhibition play.

Alright, so now for the completely sober analysis.

Ottawa's blue line depth is very good, I am sure that Christoph Schubert will get the nod to play d while corvo is out. personally i do not like Corvo very much as he is too soft on the puck, a worse version of pothier. Speaking of Pothier, he signed with Washington for an absurd amount of money. (2.5mil/year i believe)

As for Vanek, not to take anything away from him because he did have a monster of a game with the hat trick. However he was an immature player last night, everytime he had the puck he attempted a move that would be best to save for Pond hockey in the winter. But that is what pre-season is all about. I didn't notice Spacek, which is maybe a good thing.

The big difference in the game last night was the number of penalties. Ottawa's lack of experience on the blue line was prevalent and so they took many dumb penalties (some warranted, others phantom calls) but thats what I have come to expect in NHL games now.

Buffalo's PP was right on, and set up nearly instantly as if it were mid season, while Ottawa's seemed to be lacking something.

All in all the game was very sloppy especially the first period, but things can only get better for both the teams as both were missing Key players (atleast i think they were, i know ottawa was, as they only had 2 of their top d-men in, and one was injured)