Color uniformity

Sabre Dance

OK, I just got done looking at the pictures on Sabres.com of the new jerseys. Due to the material or the dye lot or the lighting, the navy in the new jerseys looks VIOLET in almost all the shots. The pants do not exhibit this odd color behavior.

Also, the guys wearing the vintage jerseys are wearing the navy pants. Will they be doing that in the regular season games? I certainly hope not because it looks really amateurish. Maybe Reebok couldn't handle making royal blue pants to match the vintage jerseys with only a few weeks' notice. They must have been concentrating on making new replica jerseys to sell in the Sabres store today. What? Only 100 new jerseys for sale today? Well, maybe the whole project is just jacked....

-Ed :rolleyes:

I believe the window is two years before you can introduce a "third jersey." So technically we will be wearing a "throwback jersey" for the next two seasons. But -- and someone correct me if I'm wrong -- our throwback jersey and the pants won't match. Just lovely.

The News' story says the color is "midnight blue" which is why it probably looks black.

And, I swear, after looking at Andrew Peters in that fugly throwback blue & gold jersey, I now remember why I hated the road ones so much.

God, those are awful, and I am totally discounting the mismatch of pants color.

The color of the yellow, the socks, etc.

Those were fugly. I almost wish now that they weren't wearing them for so many home games.

Is it safe to say the idea of wearing the original jersey was in response to the criticism of the slug logo? I don't think the Sabres before that had any interest in honoring the tradition of the logo -- going to a different blue and gold scheme was their only nod to "tradition." How could they say they planned to use it as a third jersey when the league doesn't allow it? They had to get permission to wear a "throwback," right? I would love to know when that permission was granted. With the mismatched outfit, it's pretty clear it came late in the game. Hey, at least public pressure got the throwback in play. Now it's up to the fans to vote with their wallets and rid us of this abomination ASAFP.

Don't judge the colors by the pics in the News or on the site...they are a terrible representation. If yo usee them in person, they match (except the old school which look weird with the darker pants)

The problem is when pictures of the Sabres in their new threads appear on another team's web site or in another NHL city's newpaper, they are going to look mismatched there, too. Hey, even my aunt was smart enough to knit a sweater using yarn from all the same dye lot. IMMHO, Reebok has a lot of splainin' to do.....

-Eduardo ;)

I believe the window is two years before you can introduce a "third jersey." So technically we will be wearing a "throwback jersey" for the next two seasons. But -- and someone correct me if I'm wrong -- our throwback jersey and the pants won't match. Just lovely.

So then why the @$@# did they have to use "new" shades of the colors? They should have just used the vintage colors if they were hell bent on making a new jersey. As Will Ferrell would say on Celebrity Jeopardy, "simply stunning."

So then why the @$@# did they have to use "new" shades of the colors? They should have just used the vintage colors if they were hell bent on making a new jersey. As Will Ferrell would say on Celebrity Jeopardy, "simply stunning."

Because they wanted to "update" the colors, as they thought the colors they went with would sell better than the old colors. Quinn had mentioned in his press conference or radio interview when the throwbacks were unveiled that Reebok was telling the Sabres that it was/is difficult to get the old Sabre blue to stay a consistent color in different lots. Knowing a little bit about plastic color matching and ink color matching, I know it is pretty much hooey for those. Fabric dye may be slightly different, but I'd doubt it is significantly harder to match than "midnight" blue is. When you throw in the fact that the pants are grayer than the socks or the sweaters on the new unis, that argument seems to be rather hollow. I still think it's a case of dark blues and navies selling better currently than lighter blues across the board in all sports.

As near as I can figure, the team had NO intention of going to a throwback sweater. Heck they didn't even ask to be allowed a throwback while they were committed to wearing R&B and KNEW people (not all, but a significant portion) preferred B&G to R&B. So that is why the throwback seems like a hastily prepared and not fully conceived option - it is.

The reason for the abominable snot smears and their launch to come across as a hastily prepared and not fully conceived option is baffling.

Quinn had mentioned in his press conference or radio interview when the throwbacks were unveiled that Reebok was telling the Sabres that it was/is difficult to get the old Sabre blue to stay a consistent color in different lots.

I had heard this years ago, so I'm sure there's some truth to it.

I had heard this years ago, so I'm sure there's some truth to it.

I have little to no doubt that it was true years ago. Heck, if you check old hockey cards, there were a few seasons where the blue varies slightly from year to year. (That may be due to lighting or the printing of the cards themselves, but I will accept at face value that the Sabres blue was a difficult color to maintain consistancy with from lot to lot.)

But, there are some pretty slick spectrodensiometers and computerized color matching software packages that can match colors to within far smaller tolerances than the human eye can detect. There is no reason the fabric dye can't be made to assume any shade one wants it to.

I can see where the fabric itself will vary from lot to lot and the various parts of the uni will absorb the dye differently, but I can't believe that can't be overcome by running test swatches from a lot sample for the various materials. The fabric dye blending can be performed when the fabric initially comes into the factory so there are no delays in running the fabric in a day or 2 if the factory is running a serious JIT system.

And having the dyes absorb the same way with different fabric types (I'm sure the pants are a different material than the sweaters which are probably a different material than the socks) seems to be an issue with the new threads as well. The pants are much grayer than the gloves are, and from photos they are grayer than the sweaters as well. If having all parts be exactly identical was critical, they did not do a good job. If having the colors exactly the same from year to year is believed to be critical, I'm calling the bluff on that one as well. As equipment gets washed it fades, and not necessarily at the same rate.

They changed the shades of the colors for 1 primary reason, they thought the new shades would be viewed more favorably than the old shades. And I think the new "colors" are viewed favorably by most. It's the bizarre way they colors are stitched together that people, such as myself, have problems with.

Stop complaining about the jerseys already. Jeezus. We have a team capable of bringing the Stanley Cup to Buffalo, and you can't stop complaining about the damn jerseys!

Really, does it really matter what we think?

Dude, get over it - this is Buffalo - we have to bitch about SOMETHING... ;)

But seriously - if you don't want to hear people complain about it, why click on a thread that suggests a uniform/logo complaint?

I'm just glad that our biggest offseason issue is the logo and not how we got screwed by the arbitrators, or that Darcy & TG are too cheap to keep our ECF team together, or any of the other depressing topics we would normally be discussing in the offseason...

Archived