Sabres rookie crop

LabattBlue

Sabres rookies...  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Sabres rookie that ends up surprising in 2006?

• Stafford
    • Paille
    • Novotny
    • MacArthur
    • Thorburn
    • Paetsch
    • Sekera
    • Zagrapan
    • Other

I don't know how to answer. I guess if Paille misses the team or sucks or something, well, then he would be the surprising one. If he plays well, it won't surprise me.

Exactly, I expect Paille and Novotny to make the team, so that wouldn't be a surprise. I'm hoping Paestch will turn heads in camp because it would be nice to know we have a capable 7th defensemen in the wings (assuming Kalinin makes the team).

I think Zagrapan is the player to watch. Something tells me he's going to make a serious bid for the team this year, and with Connolly on the injured list maybe for good, it wouldn't hurt to get another playmaking center in the lineup, even though he is young (but a lot of are guys are young and that didn't hurt us too bad last year :D )

I'm interested in hearing the reasons supporting people's votes on this. Personally, I'm not voting due to lack of information. Other than Novotny for a few games, Paetsch for 1 game and Paille for a cup of coffee, none of the new guys were up with the Sabres last year, so I haven't seen them play. I honestly don't remember Paille at all. I liked what I saw out of Novotny and Paetsch.

Have people seen the new guys in Rochester/Juniors/other? Any scouting reports that might be cut-and-pasted or linked?

Go Sabres.

I'm interested in hearing the reasons supporting people's votes on this. Personally, I'm not voting due to lack of information. Other than Novotny for a few games, Paetsch for 1 game and Paille for a cup of coffee, none of the new guys were up with the Sabres last year, so I haven't seen them play. I honestly don't remember Paille at all. I liked what I saw out of Novotny and Paetsch.

Have people seen the new guys in Rochester/Juniors/other? Any scouting reports that might be cut-and-pasted or linked?

Go Sabres.

Paille played 14 games for the Sabs last season: Link.

Three points in fourteen games doesn't catch the eye, but he was there as a decent all-around center/forward--for a rook.

I'm just glad that it seems like we have some real good young talent in the system. Last year wouldn't have been what it was without all those young players making big contributions. Hopefully that will continue and honestly, I have liked what I have seen so far. Remember the 1990's when we developed very few players in the sytem through the draft? Yet there were Sabre draft picks all over the league playing well for other teams. God that sucked!

Go Sabres.

Good writeups on all the players listed and more at this website...

http://hockeysfuture.com/team/buffalo_sabres

Click on the players name under "top prospects" to get a scouting report.

Go Sabres.

I picked Thorburn, for a couple reasons, but mostly going on gut instinct based on a little online research. Thorburn's got the size (6-3, 220) and has been known as being solid defensively and he looks like a guy who can play tough when needed, as evidenced by his penalty #'s in Rochester (2003-04: 77; 2004-05: 185; 2005-06: 134.) His offenseive numbers have gotten better each year, and his size should allow him to spend some quality time in front of the net, banging away at rebounds.

Best scouting report I found was here

Archived