As most of you have probably noticed

slapshot1619

I think that the new style of play in the NHL may make it a little more common for young guys to make the squad right out of juniors. With speed and skill having the emphasis over physical play, we might be heading back to the days of Gare, Bossy, Lafontaine. Zagrapan may have a shot.

Zagrapan, Ryan, Thorburn and Novotny Signed... looks like everyone who is in camp is now signed... minus Jeff Jillson... thank GOD

Honestly, I think the Jillson bashing needs to stop. Is he good? Not really. But he's not as bad as most make him out to be. I am fine with having Jillson in Rochester, getting called up once or twice a year to fill in. You can't have 10 "top 4" defenseman on your depth chart.

Check out Marek's #s from last year, in what is (to my understanding, anyway), a very competitive junior league):

(from AP) "...He had 35 goals and 52 assists for 87 points in 59 games last season with Chicoutimi of the Quebec Major Junior League..." [This ranked him 25th in scoring in the QMJHL. ]

And his contract:

"...Zagrapan, selected 13th overall, signed a three-year deal worth about $2.3 million on Sunday..."

Has anyone seen him play or read any scouting info on him? Is he fast? The media guide from last year doesn't have anything other than:

size -- 6'0", 195 lbs

age -- he turns 20 in December

stats from '04-'05 -- 32-50-82 plus 50 PIM in 59 games.

These seem like pretty strong numbers -- both on the ice and on his contract. I'm guessing Darcy and Lindy think he's the real deal, and that since we have a few slots to fill at forward, he's going to get a shot or 2 at the NHL this year.

[As a comparison, Briere put up 52-78-130 in 59 games in his last year in the QMJHL (that was his 3rd year in that league; his 1st 2 years he put up 123 pts in 72 games and then 163 pts in 67 games), then did one year in the AHL before going to the NHL.]

Less than 1 month until opening night...

Honestly, I think the Jillson bashing needs to stop. Is he good? Not really. But he's not as bad as most make him out to be. I am fine with having Jillson in Rochester, getting called up once or twice a year to fill in. You can't have 10 "top 4" defenseman on your depth chart.

And I agree we can't have 10 top 4 D-men, But the fact remains I do not like Jeff Jillson, I would rather have back Curtis Brown's feistiness/Defensive prowess than an overrated prospect at D. But considering what the team was trying to do at the time, I can see why they brought him in.

Agree 100%.

I don't want 10 "top 4" defensemen. We have 3 young guys in Rochester who should be complemented with an AHL veteran who can help show them the ropes. Instead you have a guy who has NHL skills, a 10 cent brain and has had several very good chances to make it at the NHL level. Instead, he probably sits in the locker room and pouts about how he is getting screwed and belongs in the NHL. Not the kind of guy I want around a bunch of 1st year blueline pros(Sekera, Card, & Funk).

I'll stand by my statement...Jillson sucks!

nah we'd have to make a move to get him under the cap... his deal was 3 yrs for a total of 2.3m If I'm not mistaken the most you can make is in the 900k area on your entry level contract so he's gonna hafta cost us 700k ish which I don't believe we have

If we do bring him to the big club the cap issue won't be a problem since it appears Tim Connolly won't be ready for a while (maybe until November?) and his salary does not count against the cap until he plays. Thus Marek Zagrapan could potentially be a great addition in Tim's absence without messing with the cap situation really at all.

If we do bring him to the big club the cap issue won't be a problem since it appears Tim Connolly won't be ready for a while (maybe until November?) and his salary does not count against the cap until he plays. Thus Marek Zagrapan could potentially be a great addition in Tim's absence without messing with the cap situation really at all.

Zagrapan is a long shot to make the club out of training camp. Paille, Thorburn, Stafford and MacArthur all have a better chance. Zagrapan will need at least one year in Rochester, maybe even two.

I don't want 10 "top 4" defensemen. We have 3 young guys in Rochester who should be complemented with an AHL veteran who can help show them the ropes. Instead you have a guy who has NHL skills, a 10 cent brain and has had several very good chances to make it at the NHL level. Instead, he probably sits in the locker room and pouts about how he is getting screwed and belongs in the NHL. Not the kind of guy I want around a bunch of 1st year blueline pros(Sekera, Card, & Funk).

I'll stand by my statement...Jillson sucks!

Jillson came a long way during that Carolina series. Hopefully that experience will make him a better player in Rochester and as an occasional call up.

Do you have any actual evidence that he pouts in the locker room, or are you just speculating?

Jillson came a long way during that Carolina series. Hopefully that experience will make him a better player in Rochester and as an occasional call up.

Do you have any actual evidence that he pouts in the locker room, or are you just speculating?

You're basing your opinion on a couple of playoff games, I'm basing my view on 3 years in the Sabres organization still banging around in Rochester not going anywhere fast. Not an AHL all-star, not the Amerks MVP, just a guy destined for a career as a minor leaguer.

I thought I heard something about Jillson that when he didn't make the club last year, he went down to Rochester and instead of lighting the world on fire ala Pominville and Roy, he went into a funk.

I guess it's a moot point since he is not even under contract. ;)

You're basing your opinion on a couple of playoff games, I'm basing my view on 3 years in the Sabres organization still banging around in Rochester not going anywhere fast. Not an AHL all-star, not the Amerks MVP, just a guy destined for a career as a minor leaguer.

I thought I heard something about Jillson that when he didn't make the club last year, he went down to Rochester and instead of lighting the world on fire ala Pominville and Roy, he went into a funk.

I guess it's a moot point since he is not even under contract. ;)

He's not under contract but he is in camp. I missed most of the drills this morning, but he looked good in the scrimmage.

One of the media guys said he looks like he's in the best shape of his life (definitely better than last season). I think he has his work cut out for him to try to beat out Paetsch, but if he actually has some desire to go with the raw NHL caliber skills he has maybe he can overcome his, IMHO, AHL caliber head.

Which is why he is just fine in the 8th spot on our depth chart.

He was here for all of last season, the lockout year, and then 14 games after the trade deadline the year before. That doesn't seem like enough time in the organization to declare him a bust. He's still only 26 years old. I think there's still some time for him, especially if they can keep him around for close to the minimum.

I have some stuff to add. It's not like I am forgetting the rest of the time he has spent in the organization, but I think he gained a lot of experience in those couple of playoff games. IMHO he came a long way in those few games. Plus the magnitude of the situation may have helped his development more than a few regular season games.

Archived