Does anybody remember long hockey pants?

SDS

I duno if you saw it on WGR's page but I was on this site today and it has the uniforms from all the teams throughout the history of the NHL. They have the hockey pants on there as well as some horrible (to put it mildly) uni's (see Anaheim, Los Angeles and St. Louis' early third jersey's from the 90s...as soon as you see em you'll know what one's I'm talking about).

http://www.nhluniforms.com/

I was a wee lad, but I remember them on the Flyers especially. I also remember being confused as to "who the hell are the New Jersey Devils?" They had ugly bright green pants too.

Maybe Uncle Larry can whip us up some Bright Yellow slug pants for the upcoming season. If we're going to commit Uniform Suicide, let's make sure we get the job done.

looking at all those Whaler uniforms, I can't help but notice that they kept their color scheme, for the most part, intact throughout and, although modified a lot (with harpoon, with whale tail, with "H") their central logo remained a "W". Not very progressive or hip hop of them, is it?

looking at all those Whaler uniforms, I can't help but notice that they kept their color scheme, for the most part, intact throughout and, although modified a lot (with harpoon, with whale tail, with "H") their central logo remained a "W". Not very progressive or hip hop of them, is it?

I would have liked them to try a tail-less/fin-less whale... that would have been the tits.

I totally remember them. Those damn Cooperalls. God they were ugly. It was Hartford and Philly for sure that used them. Who else? Devils?? Dunno. Good thing the Sabres never fooled with that.

I think the purpose was to make them black, therefore the forwards would crowd the net and the D man would fire the puck, making them harder for the Goalie to see because the puck would blend in with the pants. Smart thinking but throw fashion hockey sense out the window.

I have hockey cards with them on there. Funny stuff! Good Post!!

Whoops. I lurk often and post infrequently. I believe i am guilty of a thred hijack. Sorry SDS.

BTW...I remember those long pants, particularly the black flyers ones, and I hated them. Just like I have hated everything Flyers since Bernie stole my cup, and my Dad took to my first ever Sabres game in the oranges in 76-77. A bench clearing brawl in the 2nd. Very Steep. Cool guy asking me about my position (LB & G) in little league football. The old man (GRHS) being proud ..... Sabres (i think) 5-3 over the Flyers.

It was Hartford and Philly for sure that used them. Who else? Devils??

Why do I want to say the Canucks as well? Is that just the memory of their God-awful late 70s jerseys creeping in and influencing memory?

Nah, twasn't the Canucks. And I don't think it was the Devils either.

Just the Flyers and Whalers wore them I think, and then they were gone within a matter of a few years, right?

Why do I want to say the Canucks as well? Is that just the memory of their God-awful late 70s jerseys creeping in and influencing memory?

Nah, twasn't the Canucks. And I don't think it was the Devils either.

Just the Flyers and Whalers wore them I think, and then they were gone within a matter of a few years, right?

The Phlyers wore Cooperalls in '81-'82 and the Whale joined them in '82-'83. The league required pants to stay at the knee after that season, so no other teams ever got a chance to try the ugly experiment.

Knowing the Canucks, they probably would have gone with orange pants with black and yellow "V"'s all over them. :o

I had a Cooperall girdle that I wore under my way-too-big high school hockey pants. Without that girdle, the big pants would move, leaving my hip bones to mash into the boards and ice.

After high school, I wore the long pants for several seasons. Didn't mind them until I got kneed in the thigh and realized that the new pants in the early 90's were way better than an old girdle from the early 80's!

Now I wear black Washington Capitals pants because the goalie on my team is a clubhouse guy and he can supply us with great gear at cost on the sly. I think I paid $70.00 for a pair of NHL-quality pants.

As el crusho would say, "Woot!"

I had a Cooperall girdle that I wore under my way-too-big high school hockey pants. Without that girdle, the big pants would move, leaving my hip bones to mash into the boards and ice.

After high school, I wore the long pants for several seasons. Didn't mind them until I got kneed in the thigh and realized that the new pants in the early 90's were way better than an old girdle from the early 80's!

Now I wear black Washington Capitals pants because the goalie on my team is a clubhouse guy and he can supply us with great gear at cost on the sly. I think I paid $70.00 for a pair of NHL-quality pants.

As el crusho would say, "Woot!"

So, when is pickup down your way? I need more practice than there are hours in the day!

Dude, you live way too far and suck way too much to play pickup with me!

Actually, I play at Mt. Vernon, and if I recall correctly, you live somewhere near Baltimore. Way too long a drive for either of us!

if it wasn't the truth - I might just be offended! :lol:

You know, you could help an old man out over here and teach me a trick or two...

Archived