Carolina Season Ticket Sales "Up 60%"

Taro T

Link

According to TSN (AP actually, but it's on TSN's site), the Canes STH base is up "about" 60% (which tells me, it is actually up LESS than 60% because they would most likely have said OVER 60% if it in fact were increased over 60%). This # includes partial ST's and the article implies that the Canes are getting close to 15,000 ST's. B-) for Canes fans, right? Caniacs are finally starting to outnumber the people you would find in your local Krispy Kreme, right?

WRONG! The 15,000 isn't even CLOSE to reality. According to our "good friend" Luke DeCock (boy, that name cracks me up), the Canes STH base was LESS than 6,000 last year. Assuming, charitably, that they were at 6,000 last year, and assuming, again charitably, that they got that full 60% increase in ST's, they would be at a grand total of 9,600. Which is a mere 5,400 shy of the 15,000 ST "goal". (And a mere 9,130 shy of an actual sellout.) :o

So they will ONLY need an additional 60% or so (56% using the "benefit of the doubt" #'s) to REACH their goal. <_<

Not bad for a team coming off such a poor season. :blink:

SC and all you other Sabres fans that were thinking about going to the opener better hurry and get your tix. There'll barely be over 9,000 seats for you to choose from. :P

Link

According to TSN (AP actually, but it's on TSN's site), the Canes STH base is up "about" 60% (which tells me, it is actually up LESS than 60% because they would most likely have said OVER 60% if it in fact were increased over 60%). This # includes partial ST's and the article implies that the Canes are getting close to 15,000 ST's. B-) for Canes fans, right? Caniacs are finally starting to outnumber the people you would find in your local Krispy Kreme, right?

WRONG! The 15,000 isn't even CLOSE to reality. According to our "good friend" Luke DeCock (boy, that name cracks me up), the Canes STH base was LESS than 6,000 last year. Assuming, charitably, that they were at 6,000 last year, and assuming, again charitably, that they got that full 60% increase in ST's, they would be at a grand total of 9,600. Which is a mere 5,400 shy of the 15,000 ST "goal". (And a mere 9,130 shy of an actual sellout.) :o

So they will ONLY need an additional 60% or so (56% using the "benefit of the doubt" #'s) to REACH their goal. <_<

Not bad for a team coming off such a poor season. :blink:

SC and all you other Sabres fans that were thinking about going to the opener better hurry and get your tix. There'll barely be over 9,000 seats for you to choose from. :P

Dave, don't be such a DeCock. The Canes have one of the most passionate, enthusiastic, loyal fan bases a team could want. I mean come on, every team keeps ECF tickets available until game time, right? Right? ;)

BTW, I wonder if DeCock wrote this article in The Onion.

Dave, don't be such a DeCock. The Canes have one of the most passionate, enthusiastic, loyal fan bases a team could want. I mean come on, every team keeps ECF tickets available until game time, right? Right? ;)

BTW, I wonder if DeCock wrote this article in The Onion.

BM, didn't you mean to say the Canes have ONE of the most passionate, enthusiastic, loyal FANS a team could want?

I think Monseiur DeCock wrote about a Lloyd Grimbleby from Fuquay-Varina who makes the 17 mile trip from Fuquay-Varina to the RBC Center at least 25 times per year (27 when the Canes make the playoffs) to stop by the Zamboni driver's mobile home and play gin rummy during periods. (They can't play between periods, because the Zamboni driver is "busy", or so he tells a suspicious Lloyd.)

With hard core fans like Mr. Grimbleby wearing Ronald McDonald wigs and bathrobes spreading the "Gospel of Caniac" is it any wonder that the team is nearing a 5 digit fan base (when partial ST's are included) the year the team is defending it's SC championship and is a mere 4 years removed from an earlier run to the SC Finals?

Those Caniacs continue to impress. <_<

BM, didn't you mean to say the Canes have ONE of the most passionate, enthusiastic, loyal FANS a team could want?

I think Monseiur DeCock wrote about a Lloyd Grimbleby from Fuquay-Varina who makes the 17 mile trip from Fuquay-Varina to the RBC Center at least 25 times per year (27 when the Canes make the playoffs) to stop by the Zamboni driver's mobile home and play gin rummy during periods. (They can't play between periods, because the Zamboni driver is "busy", or so he tells a suspicious Lloyd.)

With hard core fans like Mr. Grimbleby wearing Ronald McDonald wigs and bathrobes spreading the "Gospel of Caniac" is it any wonder that the team is nearing a 5 digit fan base (when partial ST's are included) the year the team is defending it's SC championship and is a mere 4 years removed from an earlier run to the SC Finals?

Those Caniacs continue to impress. <_<

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well who cares?

I'm sure if the Sabres had a losing season, they would be in the 7,000 to 8,000 season ticket range. With the building half empty on several october and november nights.

I'm tired of this lets make fun of Cane fans. Its GOOD that they are selling more tickets. That is a good thing for the league. If every market has a better presence its good for everyone. And hockey wouldnt be a joke on the national level.

Why do we constantly have to compare ourselves to others so we feel better? Hey lets try the Canadians. Oh they sell out a 21,000 seat area every night? Never mind.

And the article says that 15,000 is their goal

Well who cares?

I'm sure if the Sabres had a losing season, they would be in the 7,000 to 8,000 season ticket range. With the building half empty on several october and november nights.

I'm tired of this lets make fun of Cane fans. Its GOOD that they are selling more tickets. That is a good thing for the league. If every market has a better presence its good for everyone. And hockey wouldnt be a joke on the national level.

Why do we constantly have to compare ourselves to others so we feel better? Hey lets try the Canadians. Oh they sell out a 21,000 seat area every night? Never mind.

And the article says that 15,000 is their goal

You would appear to care, or else you wouldn't have posted in this thread. <_<

Had the Sabres had a losing season LAST year after the franchise's longest streak of playoff-less seasons AND the lockout, they would have been at about 8,000 ST's, just like last season. It took quite a run of boring hockey, bad off-ice news, and lack of success on the ice to get the Sabres to that point. And guess what, that would still be less than 2,000 STH's less than a team that has had TWO runs to the finals in the last 4 seasons. The Sabres STH base will not be in the 7-8,000 range heading into next season (14,000 is more likely), unless the Canes have an extended run again, I think it is safe to say their STH base WILL be in the 7-8,000 range next season.

The Sabres attendance really doesn't factor into the league and media's obsession with CLAIMING Carolina is a hockey market (note, I did not say GOOD hockey market). You can't deny that the article implies that the Canes are near selling 15,000 ST's. The reality is they aren't even 2/3's of the way there, and that is with being spotted 40% of that number last season. Heck, I can state my goal for this year is to make $600k, it doesn't mean my business will come close to it, but hey, I must be close, I stated it's my goal. :blink:

The Canes are now in my top 3 for teams I dislike. Their fans being NEARLY as annoying as Phlyer fans and the media's constant fawning over their fans are the 2 biggest reasons I can't stand them now. (Don't worry, I have hockey related reasons not to like them as well, dating back to their days in Connecticut, but those only get them into the top 10.)

One question for you Jonny. The leaguewide attendance figure last season was ~92% of capacity, coming off an entire lost season, I'd say that is pretty darn impressive. You don't honestly believe that an 8% increase in attendance will keep hockey from being "a joke on the national level" do you? It is good that Carolina is selling more tickets, you are correct, but it is a friggin' JOKE that they are implying that there is a groundswell of support there.

My starting this thread was merely pointing out what reality is. And reality is, that team has a LONG way to go to make the move to the land of college b-ball and NASCAR successful. Don't be ticked at me, because I called a spade a spade.

You would appear to care, or else you wouldn't have posted in this thread. <_<

Had the Sabres had a losing season LAST year after the franchise's longest streak of playoff-less seasons AND the lockout, they would have been at about 8,000 ST's, just like last season. It took quite a run of boring hockey, bad off-ice news, and lack of success on the ice to get the Sabres to that point. And guess what, that would still be less than 2,000 STH's less than a team that has had TWO runs to the finals in the last 4 seasons. The Sabres STH base will not be in the 7-8,000 range heading into next season (14,000 is more likely), unless the Canes have an extended run again, I think it is safe to say their STH base WILL be in the 7-8,000 range next season.

The Sabres attendance really doesn't factor into the league and media's obsession with CLAIMING Carolina is a hockey market (note, I did not say GOOD hockey market). You can't deny that the article implies that the Canes are near selling 15,000 ST's. The reality is they aren't even 2/3's of the way there, and that is with being spotted 40% of that number last season. Heck, I can state my goal for this year is to make $600k, it doesn't mean my business will come close to it, but hey, I must be close, I stated it's my goal. :blink:

The Canes are now in my top 3 for teams I dislike. Their fans being NEARLY as annoying as Phlyer fans and the media's constant fawning over their fans are the 2 biggest reasons I can't stand them now. (Don't worry, I have hockey related reasons not to like them as well, dating back to their days in Connecticut, but those only get them into the top 10.)

One question for you Jonny. The leaguewide attendance figure last season was ~92% of capacity, coming off an entire lost season, I'd say that is pretty darn impressive. You don't honestly believe that an 8% increase in attendance will keep hockey from being "a joke on the national level" do you? It is good that Carolina is selling more tickets, you are correct, but it is a friggin' JOKE that they are implying that there is a groundswell of support there.

My starting this thread was merely pointing out what reality is. And reality is, that team has a LONG way to go to make the move to the land of college b-ball and NASCAR successful. Don't be ticked at me, because I called a spade a spade.

Sorry, system meltdown......just got back on.

Just wanted to add that the article actually states that they're hoping to average 15,000 fans per game - not season tickets! There is no way that anybody in this town will even think about hockey seriously until March Madness is over. They do have a small base of fans and a few media personalities who are simply star struck, but right now the Canes are definitely low on the priority scale. Should they happen to start slowly, they'll be lost on the Raleigh radar.

I agree that their fans (and coach) are horrible.....self-righteous, tea-totaling "ladies and gentlemen" who have no idea what the game is actually about. They still need an explanation when there's a penalty......

They complained about Sabre fans during the ECF, however, I would seriously doubt if Hurricane fans would ever drive 700 miles to see their team play..........we are the best! It wouldn't surprise me if we have more fans at the RBC Center on opening night than they do - hope we can make sure that happens.......

Sorry, system meltdown......just got back on.

Just wanted to add that the article actually states that they're hoping to average 15,000 fans per game - not season tickets! There is no way that anybody in this town will even think about hockey seriously until March Madness is over. They do have a small base of fans and a few media personalities who are simply star struck, but right now the Canes are definitely low on the priority scale. Should they happen to start slowly, they'll be lost on the Raleigh radar.

I agree that their fans (and coach) are horrible.....self-righteous, tea-totaling "ladies and gentlemen" who have no idea what the game is actually about. They still need an explanation when there's a penalty......

They complained about Sabre fans during the ECF, however, I would seriously doubt if Hurricane fans would ever drive 700 miles to see their team play..........we are the best! It wouldn't surprise me if we have more fans at the RBC Center on opening night than they do - hope we can make sure that happens.......

It would be fun to hear 5000 people chanting "Let's go Buffalo" as they raise the banner, wouldn't it? :P

Welcome to the forum!

Absolutely - it's been a looonnnggg summer in Raleigh. Eric Cole is a God - he's been told he should run for governor here. 700 people watched Mike Commodore get his hair cut (albeit for charity) and now, nobody is talking about them, only NC State, UNC and Duke. We'll see.....

Dave, you're usually spot on, but I'm missing the point this time (does that mean I'm spot off?) It seems to me that both franchises are in about the same boat in terms of fan support. It dwindles when they're losing and picks up considerably when they're winning. Both have seen a nice increase in their season ticket base this offseason, which is good. I doubt that fans in cities where the buildings are full every night, year after year, are impressed, though. Keep in mind that if you're taking a jab at Carolina you're poking Buffalo in the eye at the same time. Thanks, though, for luring me back onto the board!

Dave, you're usually spot on, but I'm missing the point this time (does that mean I'm spot off?) It seems to me that both franchises are in about the same boat in terms of fan support. It dwindles when they're losing and picks up considerably when they're winning.

I think the point is that here we have a "feel good" hockey story of the groundswell of Carolina

support. Season ticket sales up 60% - a number that is almost Clintonian without a reference to

a starting point.

Independent of any feelings he may have about Carolina, it is shi--y journalism.

Personally I was getting sick of Mike Emerick droning on and on about how loud the Canes fans were. Game 5 was especially annoying. I believe they were taking a db reading while the sound system was playing, and Emerick was going nuts that it was 111 db in the arena. Then he off handedly remarked that game 3 hit 130 db, without mentioning where game 3 was.

Personally I was getting sick of Mike Emerick droning on and on about how loud the Canes fans were. Game 5 was especially annoying. I believe they were taking a db reading while the sound system was playing, and Emerick was going nuts that it was 111 db in the arena. Then he off handedly remarked that game 3 hit 130 db, without mentioning where game 3 was.

And that jackass with the stupid meter was probably right next to a speaker. Buffalo and Edmonton sounded really loud when I was watching and they never had to resort to a cheap gimmick like that stupid meter.

Dave, you're usually spot on, but I'm missing the point this time (does that mean I'm spot off?) It seems to me that both franchises are in about the same boat in terms of fan support. It dwindles when they're losing and picks up considerably when they're winning. Both have seen a nice increase in their season ticket base this offseason, which is good. I doubt that fans in cities where the buildings are full every night, year after year, are impressed, though. Keep in mind that if you're taking a jab at Carolina you're poking Buffalo in the eye at the same time. Thanks, though, for luring me back onto the board!

Actually, X picked up on my original point. The article seemed to be designed to claim something that simply wasn't true / real (namely that the Canes had almost 15,000 STH's). In reality, they don't even have 10,000 coming off a SC championship season.

But once that point was made, I guess that I couldn't stop just there (kind of like eating potato chips), but instead had to take a (rather cheap, I will admit) shot at the Canes' fan base (or lack thereof).

I don't believe that the fan bases are comparable, but do admit that the fan base in Edmonton or TO is most likely on a plane above where Buffalo's is currently, which really doesn't bother me.

If the Sabres continue their recent winning ways, the Sabres fanbase will get back on par with those teams (it was 30 years ago, it can be again). I remember seeing the "Sabre-jacs" everywhere when I was a kid. I also remember going to the open practice because it was pretty much the only chance we had of getting to see the players on the ice in person. Buffalo routinely is in the top 3 TV markets for hockey regardless of whether the Sabres are good, bad, or indifferent. It can rejoin the Canadian markets and Detroit & Philly for fan support, the roots are still healthy. (Heck, if the Sabres can figure out how to get their games shown on the NP, the support could really spike up.)

But even in it's darkest days, Buffalo support for the Sabres has never been as sad as Carolina's support (or lack of support) appears to be from this outsider's perspective. In '02, '03, and '04, after football ended, the rink was routinely filled to 90+% capacity. That was with a team that missed the playoffs every single one of those years and with a STH base of about 9,000 - 11,000. Would Carolina exceed 50% of capacity if they weren't in the playoffs? I sincerely doubt it. Is Carolina's support growing? Hopefully, but I don't really believe that it is.

PA, as I have stated before on multiple occasions, I would like to see Carolina become a hockey hotbed. But, it currently isn't one, and I am tired of hearing / reading stories falsely claiming the contrary. And on a very slow posting week this thread at least got some responses (and it didn't even include one of BtP's beloved conspiracy theories :P ).

Booo hooooo their season ticket sales are up ? quick let?s do some freak math to discredit these claims. It couldn?t be that hockey has been steadily growing in popularity in one of the smallest markets in the NHL!

Booo hooooo we lost game seven of the Eastern Conference Finals! We couldn?t hold a lead and those Caniacs, as quiet as they are; were loud enough to give their team the energy to prevail.

Booo hooooo we had too many injuries ? that cup should be ours!

Booo hooooo the Canes have gone to the finals twice in less than five years (we?ve only gone twice in 35 years).

Booo hooooo they claim the fans stood throughout the game! I saw a dude in a wheelchair and he was sitting! And I heard that an old geezer with a walker sat down between periods!

Booo hooooo we couldn?t kill off the penalty to Campbell? (what a stupid rule that gave them that power play)!.

Booo hooooo their building was louder than ours during the Stanley Cup Finals (only because ours was empty)!

Booo hooooo we?re going to look like Slugs this year!

Booo hooooo we?ve never won a Stanley Cup or a Super Bowl. It looks like those rednecks may win both in the same year. (It must be the Buffalo Conspiracy)!

Booo hooooo they are a college basketball town and don?t sell tickets as fast as we can!

Booo hooooo we cry about everything because we?re a bunch of crybaby Buff-a-LOSERS!

That's how I can kill some time here at work! I'll start reading other team's message boards and search out random comments that I can reply to, helping people to realize how much of a jackass I really am. I'll also be sure to end every post with a really weak insult like "Buff-a-losers". That's a must.

Finally, my life now has meaning.

Archived