Carolina Season Ticket Sales "Up 60%"

Taro T

So I was wondering. I remember you mentioning that you hated the Hartford Whalers. Who was your team before the Whalers became the Canes?

My favorite team was and still is the Buffalo Sabres. I've been a fan since the 73-74 season and a lurker on this message board since the playoffs began (Ya'all find breaking news and interesting stuff like salary spreadsheets, new team logo info, and talk real hockey most of the time - when you aren't talking real hockey the other stuff is pretty humorous.

I've lived down here in Raleigh for 15 years. My family used to send me VHS tapes of Sabres games before DirecTV came along. One of my most memorable tapes (which I lost) was a game at Quebec that was filled with fights and a Nordiques fan jumped over the glass and headed towards the Sabres bench. Rob Ray landed about 12 rights to the dude's head. Roby was doing the color and when they showed the replay, he said, "Wow! I guess it's more blessed to give than to receive..."

Anyway, I've been to several Canes games over the years to get my hockey fix, and I have slowly made the transition from the Canes being a team I watched (but not neccessarily rooted for) to my distant second favorite team to my close second favorite team. This year I even went to Sabres games in hybrid gear (Canes hat, Sabres jersey and both flags on my truck). That was until they met each other in the playoffs. I then put all my Canes stuff away and pulled hard for the Sabres but couldn't find the hatred I had for the Flyers and Senators. My hopes for the ECF was that I'd get a refund for my SCF tickets and I'd be taking a trip up to Buffalo to see a parade. When things didn't go as hoped, I transitioned back to being a Caniac. When the Canes won the Stanley Cup, I was thrilled for them and it was such an unbelievable feeling to be in the building and part of it all. My team had finally won the Stanley Cup!!!

My Boohooo comments which I somewhat regret, given that they were delivered to Sabres fans were a response to all the junk I've read and heard listening to WGR and lurking on message boards. For 2 or 3 days, I came to this board expecting to read some breaking news on J.P., Miller, or Kalinin and instead the hot topic was Canes ticket sales. I just wanted to put a turd in the punch bowl of the Canes bashing party and say, "Get over it! The Canes won the cup and all the petty comparisons between Raleigh and Buffalo as hockey towns really doesn't matter. Let's all get along and look forward to next season and maybe Buffalo will finally get the championship they deserve." Hopefully, soon I'll be saying, "My team has finally won the Stanley Cup!!!"

I don't buy this argument at all. Most people moving here are coming from already established hockey markets. They have been exposed to the game plenty. Most Caniacs at one time had a different "favorite" team. There is no reason to believe most won't swap again or abandon the game when things aren't looking so bright on the ice for the Canes.

I don't buy this argument at all. Most people moving here are coming from already established hockey markets. They have been exposed to the game plenty. Most Caniacs at one time had a different "favorite" team. And many of them have not...

There is no reason to believe most won't swap again or abandon the game when things aren't looking so bright on the ice for the Canes. There is no reason to believe they will. It's different down south. A lot of kids go to games. Kids who grow up rooting for a team, become future season ticket holders. Most of us were kids when we beacame Sabres fans and now it's a tradition. Also, for us transplants, we can have more than one favorite team. I know I wouldn't say that if I still lived in WNY.

My favorite team was and still is the Buffalo Sabres. I've been a fan since the 73-74 season and a lurker on this message board since the playoffs began (Ya'all find breaking news and interesting stuff like salary spreadsheets, new team logo info, and talk real hockey most of the time - when you aren't talking real hockey the other stuff is pretty humorous.

I've lived down here in Raleigh for 15 years. My family used to send me VHS tapes of Sabres games before DirecTV came along. One of my most memorable tapes (which I lost) was a game at Quebec that was filled with fights and a Nordiques fan jumped over the glass and headed towards the Sabres bench. Rob Ray landed about 12 rights to the dude's head. Roby was doing the color and when they showed the replay, he said, "Wow! I guess it's more blessed to give than to receive..."

Anyway, I've been to several Canes games over the years to get my hockey fix, and I have slowly made the transition from the Canes being a team I watched (but not neccessarily rooted for) to my distant second favorite team to my close second favorite team. This year I even went to Sabres games in hybrid gear (Canes hat, Sabres jersey and both flags on my truck). That was until they met each other in the playoffs. I then put all my Canes stuff away and pulled hard for the Sabres but couldn't find the hatred I had for the Flyers and Senators. My hopes for the ECF was that I'd get a refund for my SCF tickets and I'd be taking a trip up to Buffalo to see a parade. When things didn't go as hoped, I transitioned back to being a Caniac. When the Canes won the Stanley Cup, I was thrilled for them and it was such an unbelievable feeling to be in the building and part of it all. My team had finally won the Stanley Cup!!!

My Boohooo comments which I somewhat regret, given that they were delivered to Sabres fans were a response to all the junk I've read and heard listening to WGR and lurking on message boards. For 2 or 3 days, I came to this board expecting to read some breaking news on J.P., Miller, or Kalinin and instead the hot topic was Canes ticket sales. I just wanted to put a turd in the punch bowl of the Canes bashing party and say, "Get over it! The Canes won the cup and all the petty comparisons between Raleigh and Buffalo as hockey towns really doesn't matter. Let's all get along and look forward to next season and maybe Buffalo will finally get the championship they deserve." Hopefully, soon I'll be saying, "My team has finally won the Stanley Cup!!!"

I don't buy this argument at all. Most people moving here are coming from already established hockey markets. They have been exposed to the game plenty. Most Caniacs at one time had a different "favorite" team. And many of them have not...

There is no reason to believe most won't swap again or abandon the game when things aren't looking so bright on the ice for the Canes. There is no reason to believe they will. It's different down south. A lot of kids go to games. Kids who grow up rooting for a team, become future season ticket holders. Most of us were kids when we beacame Sabres fans and now it's a tradition. Also, for us transplants, we can have more than one favorite team. I know I wouldn't say that if I still lived in WNY.

Anyone else find this a bit odd?

PA, so much for your theory that he's Caniac Chick. :P

CT, a few questions for you. (Before I start, let me state that I am not trying to be a prick w/ them, just trying to get to know you a little better. As written words can't convey tones nor inflections, I apologize in advance if they do come across as prickish. If they do, I guess, don't answer them. ;) )

1. If the Sabres are your team, why all the Cane tags for yourself (you chose "Caniac T" for a screen name, a Canes SCC banner for your avatar, and a Canes logo for your personal photo) on a Sabres message board? (Doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious.)

2. I am assuming you were at all 4 Canes - Sabres playoff games. What was your take on all the claims of violence / unruly behavior (on "both sides of the aisle") that was widely posted on the internet, but rarely, or more precisely not at all, substantiated by the "mainstream media"? The reason I ask is, I have heard the takes of several Sabre fans that attended some of the games and have my own opinions of what actually happened (personally, I think the tales were wildly exaggerated, especially for Game 1) but would like to hear/read the perspective of a Carolina fan that doesn't appear to have an axe to grind.

3. You posted that the Canes allow SRO ticket purchases and that you are a STH. Any info on why SRO tickets weren't available during the Sabres and Devils series? Based on the # of Sabre fans that "invaded" the rink, I'd have to believe they could have sold them for that series if the rink was sold out.

4. What do you see for the chances of the Raleigh market becoming a solid hockey market? I would like to see the market succeed (I think having a legitimate national US presence will go a long way toward increasing the league-wide revenues and leveling the playing field between the small and large markets).

5. What steps / actions do you think the league / Canes will need to take to make the market successful? The team has had 2 trips to the SCF's in 5 years. What else is necessary to make it work?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

When the Canes won the Stanley Cup, I was thrilled for them and it was such an unbelievable feeling to be in the building and part of it all. My team had finally won the Stanley Cup!!!

Let's all get along and look forward to next season and maybe Buffalo will finally get the championship they deserve." Hopefully, soon I'll be saying, "My team has finally won the Stanley Cup!!!"

Why not pick a few more teams, then you can say it almost every year.

Also, for us transplants, we can have more than one favorite team.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this argument at all. If the Sabres are your team, then they are your team. Especially considering the market you live in:

1. Is in the same conference as the Sabres.

2. Played the Sabres in the playoffs.

I don't mean to come off the wrong way, but you do sound like a bit of a fairweather fan.

Here's a good analogy. I live in NJ, as do several other people on this board. I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but you don't see us rooting for the Devils when the Sabres get knocked out of the playoffs. In fact, having friends who are Devils and Rangers fans has made them rivals for me.

The point I am trying to make is that when you have a favorite team, they are your team. Period.

PA, so much for your theory that he's Caniac Chick. :P

CT, a few questions for you. (Before I start, let me state that I am not trying to be a prick w/ them, just trying to get to know you a little better. As written words can't convey tones nor inflections, I apologize in advance if they do come across as prickish. If they do, I guess, don't answer them. ;) ) I read 1-5. They are all fine - seem like legit questions...

1. If the Sabres are your team, why all the Cane tags for yourself (you chose "Caniac T" for a screen name, a Canes SCC banner for your avatar, and a Canes logo for your personal photo) on a Sabres message board? (Doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious.) I figured it was easier to pose as a Caniac (which I am) than as a Sabres fan (which I am) - less Benedict Arnold. I had planned on my first post being my last, but a few of you asked me some genuine questions, so I've been responding. Like I said before, I was just frustrated that for 2 or 3 days, when I came to this board hoping to read some breaking news on Dumont, Miller, or Kalinin, the hot topic was Canes ticket sales and petty comparisons between the hockey markets.

2. I am assuming you were at all 4 Canes - Sabres playoff games. What was your take on all the claims of violence / unruly behavior (on "both sides of the aisle") that was widely posted on the internet, but rarely, or more precisely not at all, substantiated by the "mainstream media"? The reason I ask is, I have heard the takes of several Sabre fans that attended some of the games and have my own opinions of what actually happened (personally, I think the tales were wildly exaggerated, especially for Game 1) but would like to hear/read the perspective of a Carolina fan that doesn't appear to have an axe to grind.

For the most part I guess the Buffalo fans reminded me more of my trips to Rich Stadium than my trips to the Aud. Not that all Canes fans behave like angels.

Game 1 was beautiful before and during the game- we tailgated with over 20 Sabres fans (some from Va., some from NC, and several who made the drive). We then gathered together about 200 strong and chanted, "Let's Go Buff-a-lo!" in unison as we entered the arena. My section was full of Sabres fans. We cheered loud and gave the Canes fans a lesson on how to support their team. I also understand there were fights in the parking lot after the game and the band which plays outside the arena had to quit. I didn't witness what happened but would assume both sides were at fault. When you get outcheered in your own building it can be frustrating and then to step outside in a less structured environment with lots of beer available translates into nothing good happening.

Game 2 - Lesson learned - Canes fans responded. Still a good number of Sabres fans but less than 25% of the Game 1 number. A few Sabres fans in my section were drunk and poorly behaved. Yelling the f-word in a public place is pretty poor, yelling it with a bunch of kids sitting in your area is inexcusable. After the game, I stepped into an altercation with a couple of drunken Sabres fans one who was pushing and shoving with a drunken Caniac punk. Not sure why I felt the calling to be a peacemaker - maybe because I was embarrassed to be associated with the Sabres fans who sat near me and were so belligerent.

Game 5 - Sabres fan base: smaller than Game 1 - larger than Game 2. Nothing objectionable at the game. On the way out, I witnessed a few foul-mouthed Sabres fans yelling obscenities in the parking lot at Canes fans. Passionate fans+several overpriced beers+an OT loss=Ugly. Several fans on both sides were more classy yelling things like "We'll see you back here for Game 7."

Game 7 - Walking out of this game could have been ugly and probably was for some. Lots of loud fans on both sides - Some were good sports others were not - Caniacs were happy. They were going to the finals and many were rubbing it in (some with class, others not). Sabres fans were frustrated with another year of what might have been.

3. You posted that the Canes allow SRO ticket purchases and that you are a STH. Any info on why SRO tickets weren't available during the Sabres and Devils series? Based on the # of Sabre fans that "invaded" the rink, I'd have to believe they could have sold them for that series if the rink was sold out. back

I really don't know - I know that before the finals the Hurricanes were holding back playoff tickets and making them available to those who made down payments on season tickets.

4. What do you see for the chances of the Raleigh market becoming a solid hockey market? I would like to see the market succeed (I think having a legitimate national US presence will go a long way toward increasing the league-wide revenues and leveling the playing field between the small and large markets).

This area is one of the fastest growing areas in the country - More people will equal more hockey fans. I've seen the fan base grow and with their core players locked up, they'll be an entertaining team that people will enjoy watching for several years.

5. What steps / actions do you think the league / Canes will need to take to make the market successful? The team has had 2 trips to the SCF's in 5 years. What else is necessary to make it work?

Marv Levy has always said that the best way to sell tickets is to win. This team will benefit by being successful and getting people hooked. This area is a sports town, college first, but once the Canes have been embraced, I expect the fans will remain loyal.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I'm a buffalo transplant living in caniac country... Over my dead body would i consider rooting for the canes. To me, they're as despised as the stars, flyers, maple leafs, dolphins, and cowboys.

Why not pick a few more teams, then you can say it almost every year.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this argument at all. If the Sabres are your team, then they are your team. Especially considering the market you live in:

1. Is in the same conference as the Sabres.

2. Played the Sabres in the playoffs.

I don't mean to come off the wrong way, but you do sound like a bit of a fairweather fan.

Here's a good analogy. I live in NJ, as do several other people on this board. I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but you don't see us rooting for the Devils when the Sabres get knocked out of the playoffs. In fact, having friends who are Devils and Rangers fans has made them rivals for me.

The point I am trying to make is that when you have a favorite team, they are your team. Period.

I love hockey and I love living in Raleigh! I want to go to games and the only way to keep an NHL team here is to buy tickets. Two games a year to root for the Sabres isn?t going to help keep the team here. So I've been going to several Canes games over the years to get my hockey fix. I have slowly made the transition from the Canes being a team I watched (but not necessarily rooted for) to my distant second favorite team to my close second favorite team.

You can call me a fair-weather fan ? my wife does and so does a clown at work. I like the Sabres, Canes, Bills, and Panthers, but when it?s all on the line I?m pulling for Buffalo. When I moved here 15 years ago there was no NHL or NFL team. I missed going to games and when the teams came to this state I was thrilled and have supported them. If we don?t we won?t have them here and I?ll go back to seeing one Bills game and one Sabres game each year when I visit my family at Christmas. I prefer to live in an area that has professional sports.

I figured it was easier to pose as a Caniac (which I am) than as a Sabres fan (which I am) - less Benedict Arnold. I had planned on my first post being my last, but a few of you asked me some genuine questions, so I've been responding. Like I said before, I was just frustrated that for 2 or 3 days, when I came to this board hoping to read some breaking news on Dumont, Miller, or Kalinin, the hot topic was Canes ticket sales and petty comparisons between the hockey markets.

Well, you hit us on a pretty slow week, so there wasn't a whole lot of Sabres news (as you knew).

And, techincally, the topic of our discussion wasn't Canes ticket sales, it was bogus exaggerations of Canes ticket sales. :P

I love hockey and I love living in Raleigh! I want to go to games and the only way to keep an NHL team here is to buy tickets. Two games a year to root for the Sabres isn?t going to help keep the team here. So I've been going to several Canes games over the years to get my hockey fix. I have slowly made the transition from the Canes being a team I watched (but not necessarily rooted for) to my distant second favorite team to my close second favorite team.

You can call me a fair-weather fan ? my wife does and so does a clown at work. I like the Sabres, Canes, Bills, and Panthers, but when it?s all on the line I?m pulling for Buffalo. When I moved here 15 years ago there was no NHL or NFL team. I missed going to games and when the teams came to this state I was thrilled and have supported them. If we don?t we won?t have them here and I?ll go back to seeing one Bills game and one Sabres game each year when I visit my family at Christmas. I prefer to live in an area that has professional sports.

Fair enough. I understand where you are coming from but could never bring another team up to the pedistal I've got the Sabres on. Well, maybe not never, but it would take some sort of extraordinary circumstance like my kid playing on the team in order for me to be able to do it. (And there isn't much likelihood of any of my relatives making the NHL in my lifetime.)

I still think you're a fairweather fan. Sorry,

I live in Raleigh as well. I have gone to many Canes games over the years with no rooting interest in either team playing unless it was against the Sabres. I went simply to enjoy NHL hockey. The Canes mean nothing more to me than any other NHL team. To each his own CaniacT, but I think you, like most Caniacs, are a fairweather fan.

Keep checking those news links on sabresreport.com. I'm sure it will break on the AP wire this afternoon. Most wire stories emanate from local papers.

What are you saying, hopeles, that the league wouldn't want to trump this story? Why not? Now THAT's a good conspiracy theory!

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd1035427.asp

If our season ticket sales are capped at 14,500, that would work out to about a 64% increase. Where is the national story? :lol:

Was anyone else surprised that they've only sold 500-600 full ST equivalents worth of minipacks and partial ST's total? I would have figured that they'd have 2-3 times that.

I checked the Sabres web site and am a little surprised that they want to hold 2,500 seats for single game ticket purchases because all of the Level III and Level IV seats in the 100's and 300's are sold out.

I was impressed though that they are sticking it to Laff's fans as much as possible in that all 4 Loaf's games are "Gold". The other 2 "Gold" games are vs the Habs. "Gold" prices for seats that are still available are up $15-$30/seat over last season's prices. (200 Level seats will set you back $150/each to hear the melodic "Blow Leafs Blow" chant.)

Overall there are 2 fewer "Gold" games than last year, 3 fewer "Value" games, 1 extra "Bronze" game, 5 extra "Silver" games, and 1 less Ra-cha-cha game.

Keep checking those news links on sabresreport.com. I'm sure it will break on the AP wire this afternoon. Most wire stories emanate from local papers.

What are you saying, hopeles, that the league wouldn't want to trump this story? Why not? Now THAT's a good conspiracy theory!

It was more of a joke than anything else.

Archived