Carolina Season Ticket Sales "Up 60%"

Taro T

X... and you spell good!

Honest to God, right now, I could high-stick all of you into bloody pulps. Familiarity does breed contempt.

HOCKEY GOOOOOOOOD!

perseption is in the eye of the perseever. :P

What's the matter PA? You can share with your brothers, you know?

Got them McKean Co. blues?

Nope, things are great here in God's Country. Wal-Mart's packed, the fair's on, the bears are gettin' in pic-a-nic baskets at state park and with all these cool nights the trees are starting to change a little. How do you know McKean County?

It's funny you ask that. Because after living here my whole life and being justifiably proud of how we Bradfordians weather some of the coldest temperatures in the country, I have recently done some research and discovered it's mostly meteorological and mythical hogwash. Hoo-ha. Through aws.com and its network of weather stations, mostly located at high schools, you can see the temperatures for many locations around our region, even in little places like Cuba (New York, ahem, Fidel is still well enough to keep American "weather stations" off the island).

And Bradford is actually consistenly one of the warm spots in the "Twin Tiers." Last night, for example, it was 47 in Cuba, 48 in Wellsville, 48 at the Bradford airport and 52 in the town of Bradford. There's the catch. The temperature you see for Bradford on the weather map -- and the temperature referenced when Bradford is the coldest spot in the nation -- is 15 miles from town on top of a mountain, in the middle of the woods, with little development and few roads around it. Just a couple runways for our Vomit Comet commuter flights and a little terminal. So naturally it's colder up there.

Keep in mind that when they give the coldest temperature in the lower 48, it's the coldest temperature at National Weather Service stations -- and Bradford Airport is one of the few reporting NWS sites in a large geographic area. We love the reputation, though, I guess. We got a kick out of Tom Jolls when he said "Brrrrradford." Heck, our town motto is "Cool Town, Warm Hearts" referencing our reputation for being generous folks. It's starting to bug me, though, not only because it's not true, but it seems to be one more reason that people cite when leaving for greener pastures.

I guess my complaints will fall on deaf ears, though, when talking to a bunch of people from a city that was long ago labeled the snow capital of the country, even though it doesn't really snow that much in Buffalo, relative to the snow belts around it. Anyway, to answer your question, it was down around 40 at night last week, colder than that in many spots, but has warmed a little this week. Great sleeping weather as they say! After that heat wave, I am not about to complain.

Are you sorry you asked? Probably, but at least I am 15 minutes closer to hockey season. :)

I lived in Orlando for the last three years, and for the last nine months or so I worked an opening shift at the YMCA. We opened the doors at 6 a.m., so I was there around 5:30, and for those of you who aren't aware, overnight temps can drop quite a bit and its gets pretty chilly there in January - early March. Its almost like a desert swing, where its 65-75 during the day then can drop into the mid- to- upper 30s/low 40s at night; most of the time, however, it would get to 50-55.

Anyway, all these retirees, snowbirds, etc - those of the 55-60+ age brackets - are the ones who come into the Y that early, and every one of them comes in bitching and moaning about how freezing it is, and why do I have the doors open, and how do people "up north" live with this. Always gave me a good chuckle, and if I was in a sparring mood, I'd respond with some good-natured ribbing about how much colder it was in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester at that time, and how I'd much rather have snow & cold than hurricanes. Sometimes I'd prop a door open just to keep the insides nice & cool... ;)

Anyway - not that there was a real point to his - I just wanted to mention that I was born and raised in Niagara Falls, and I love cold weather; I am actually proud of the people who choose to survive the WNY winters - I think you have to be tough to live up there.

It's funny you ask that. Because after living here my whole life and being justifiably proud of how we Bradfordians weather some of the coldest temperatures in the country, I have recently done some research and discovered it's mostly meteorological and mythical hogwash. Hoo-ha. Through aws.com and its network of weather stations, mostly located at high schools, you can see the temperatures for many locations around our region, even in little places like Cuba (New York, ahem, Fidel is still well enough to keep American "weather stations" off the island).

And Bradford is actually consistenly one of the warm spots in the "Twin Tiers." Last night, for example, it was 47 in Cuba, 48 in Wellsville, 48 at the Bradford airport and 52 in the town of Bradford. There's the catch. The temperature you see for Bradford on the weather map -- and the temperature referenced when Bradford is the coldest spot in the nation -- is 15 miles from town on top of a mountain, in the middle of the woods, with little development and few roads around it. Just a couple runways for our Vomit Comet commuter flights and a little terminal. So naturally it's colder up there.

Keep in mind that when they give the coldest temperature in the lower 48, it's the coldest temperature at National Weather Service stations -- and Bradford Airport is one of the few reporting NWS sites in a large geographic area. We love the reputation, though, I guess. We got a kick out of Tom Jolls when he said "Brrrrradford." Heck, our town motto is "Cool Town, Warm Hearts" referencing our reputation for being generous folks. It's starting to bug me, though, not only because it's not true, but it seems to be one more reason that people cite when leaving for greener pastures.

I guess my complaints will fall on deaf ears, though, when talking to a bunch of people from a city that was long ago labeled the snow capital of the country, even though it doesn't really snow that much in Buffalo, relative to the snow belts around it. Anyway, to answer your question, it was down around 40 at night last week, colder than that in many spots, but has warmed a little this week. Great sleeping weather as they say! After that heat wave, I am not about to complain.

Are you sorry you asked? Probably, but at least I am 15 minutes closer to hockey season. :)

That actually is pretty interesting. I didn't realize it got that cold there. How cold are the winters?

I wonder if Jim Rutherford will be making an offer to J.P. now that Stillman is out for maybe 4 months. I don't see much cap room but I think it might be a possibility at the right price. Rutherford isn't afraid to bring in the right "rent-a-players" (Weight, Recchi) to assure a championship. It will be interesting to see where J.P. ends up. Hopefully, it's back in Buffalo lighting it up along side Danny.

$87 one way to Raleigh from BUF on Jetblue.

I don't know, I hear Hurricanes tickets are awfully hard to come by these days ;)

Apparently, tickets for the opener might actually be hard to come by . You might want to wait until you have a game ticket before you purchase your airfare. It would be pretty funny to hear the "Let's Go Buff-a-lo" cheer as they're raising the Stanley Cup banner. I don't think there's any chance it'll happen though. Even with 5,000 Sabres fans there (many of them transplants) the 13,000 Canes fans will make more noise.

Below is a portion of the message I received from the ticket office regarding my ticket plan and opening night. I figured it might be relevant to this thread.

Dear CaniacT,

First of all, thank you for your continued support of the 2006 Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes! As a 10 game plan holder, along with all of our ticket plan holders, you continue to be the lifeblood and the future of our organization. We value the investment you have made in this team, your passion, and your commitment to supporting the drive for our organization to repeat as Stanley Cup Champions!

Within the last week or so you should have received a mailing from our box office operations department giving you an opportunity to indicate the 10 game plan and seating area in which you are interested. As a reminder, those preferences are due back no later than Monday, August 21st in order to retain your seating priority.

Additionally, in the next day or so you should be receiving a second mailing which includes a unique fax order form, providing you an opportunity to request tickets for Opening night. With the raising of the 2006 Stanley Cup Champions banner, we anticipate an extremely heavy demand for Opening Night tickets.In addition to the demand for Opening Night tickets, we are also faced with a reduction in seating inventory due to the increase in our season ticket base. As a consequence, it became necessary to set the ticket request limit at 4 seats per account and organize all requests received in account priority. All Opening Night seats will be assigned on an account priority basis and fulfilled based on availability, during the first week of September. The deadline for receipt of your Opening Night request is Friday, August 25th.

3059842503812.jpg

I wonder if Jim Rutherford will be making an offer to J.P. now that Stillman is out for maybe 4 months. I don't see much cap room but I think it might be a possibility at the right price. Rutherford isn't afraid to bring in the right "rent-a-players" (Weight, Recchi) to assure a championship. It will be interesting to see where J.P. ends up. Hopefully, it's back in Buffalo lighting it up along side Danny.

Apparently, tickets for the opener might actually be hard to come by . You might want to wait until you have a game ticket before you purchase your airfare. It would be pretty funny to hear the "Let's Go Buff-a-lo" cheer as they're raising the Stanley Cup banner. I don't think there's any chance it'll happen though. Even with 5,000 Sabres fans there (many of them transplants) the 13,000 Canes fans will make more noise.

Below is a portion of the message I received from the ticket office regarding my ticket plan and opening night. I figured it might be relevant to this thread.

Dear CaniacT,

First of all, thank you for your continued support of the 2006 Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes! As a 10 game plan holder, along with all of our ticket plan holders, you continue to be the lifeblood and the future of our organization. We value the investment you have made in this team, your passion, and your commitment to supporting the drive for our organization to repeat as Stanley Cup Champions!

Within the last week or so you should have received a mailing from our box office operations department giving you an opportunity to indicate the 10 game plan and seating area in which you are interested. As a reminder, those preferences are due back no later than Monday, August 21st in order to retain your seating priority.

Additionally, in the next day or so you should be receiving a second mailing which includes a unique fax order form, providing you an opportunity to request tickets for Opening night. With the raising of the 2006 Stanley Cup Champions banner, we anticipate an extremely heavy demand for Opening Night tickets.In addition to the demand for Opening Night tickets, we are also faced with a reduction in seating inventory due to the increase in our season ticket base. As a consequence, it became necessary to set the ticket request limit at 4 seats per account and organize all requests received in account priority. All Opening Night seats will be assigned on an account priority basis and fulfilled based on availability, during the first week of September. The deadline for receipt of your Opening Night request is Friday, August 25th.

3059842503812.jpg

Huuh, huuh, we wanna see tha bannner go up. Huuh, huuh. It's Junior's, raaght?

You are probably correct that the Canes will sell out their home opener, but I wouldn't expect the feat to be repeated often. They only sold out 10 RS games all of last year. And this was with a team that finished with the best record in the East (courtesy of playing in arguably the worst division in hockey, definitely the worst in the East, it's hard to argue against the Central being the worst division but at least Detroit had to play A good team 8 times) and eventually won the SC. Oh, BTW, 2 of those RS sellouts came against the Sabres.

You seem to be a solid Canes fan, maybe you can help me out with a question I have. Why if the Canes' rink capacity is 18,730 did they announce an attendance above that on 3 occasions in the regular season and 5 in the post season? They wouldn't by any chance be inflating their numbers would they?

Expect a sellout on November 13 as well. Hopefully your boys will have many others, but I wouldn't want to have my mortgage payment riding on it.

It would be pretty funny to hear the "Let's Go Buff-a-lo" cheer as they're raising the Stanley Cup banner. I don't think there's any chance it'll happen though. Even with 5,000 Sabres fans there (many of them transplants) the 13,000 Canes fans will make more noise.

True. It is hard to shout down Ric "Nature Boy" Flair, 'WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'.

No, I'm referencing the conspiracy theory that the Canes have inflated their attendance.

No conspiracy theory, simply a question.

What is this conspiracy that all questions/speculations are automatically elevated to the level of a "conspiracy theory"?

It's a conspiracy I tell you. A conspiracy. ;)

No, I'm referencing the conspiracy theory that the Canes have inflated their attendance.

Paid Attendance is what they announce at every game (or tickets issued). That might be considered inflating the numbers.

Standing Room tickets will also push the numbers over capacity.

This area certainly isn't Buffalo, but the team sure has gotten a lot better support than when they first moved here. It'll take some time as the area grows and people continue to be exposed to this great sport. For now, I think the team will be here for the forseeable future. Not many people were was saying that last summer.

Come see for yourself. There are tickets available most nights!

Paid Attendance is what they announce at every game (or tickets issued). That might be considered inflating the numbers.

Standing Room tickets will also push the numbers over capacity.

This area certainly isn't Buffalo, but the team sure has gotten a lot better support than when they first moved here. It'll take some time as the area grows and people continue to be exposed to this great sport. For now, I think the team will be here for the forseeable future. Not many people were was saying that last summer.

Come see for yourself. There are tickets available most nights!

Every team announces distributed tickets (regardless of turnstile count), which may or may not be considered inflating the #'s. (It depends on how many freebies were handed out, IMHO.)

I didn't know that RBCC sold SRO tickets. Thanks for the info.

What kind of television deal does Carolina have? Can you watch all the games on

TV or are most blacked out?

And what is the word on C. Stillman? Out for 4 months?

Fox Sports South - I'd say we get about 80% of the games. I have Center Ice so I'm not really sure because I get quite a few games that aren't on locally. No games on free tv (which hurts) although some people have claimed to watch some on FOX.

$180 for SRO at the finals - pretty cool location called the Deck - bar and restaurant attached. Best deal I had last season was game 7 of the SCF - I only paid $70 for my seat but I got to stand the whole game too. ;)

Stillman - shoulder injury - they didn't think he'd need surgery just rest - not getting better, so now in mid-August they decide to operate. It's better than after the new year I guess... Oh well...

Fox Sports South - I'd say we get about 80% of the games. I have Center Ice so I'm not really sure because I get quite a few games that aren't on locally. No games on free tv (which hurts) although some people have claimed to watch some on FOX.

$180 for SRO at the finals - pretty cool location called the Deck - bar and restaurant attached. Best deal I had last season was game 7 of the SCF - I only paid $70 for my seat but I got to stand the whole game too. ;)

Stillman - shoulder injury - they didn't think he'd need surgery just rest - not getting better, so now in mid-August they decide to operate. It's better than after the new year I guess... Oh well...

So I was wondering. I remember you mentioning that you hated the Hartford Whalers. Who was your team before the Whalers became the Canes?

It'll take some time as the area grows and people continue to be exposed to this great sport.

I don't buy this argument at all. Most people moving here are coming from already established hockey markets. They have been exposed to the game plenty. Most Caniacs at one time had a different "favorite" team. There is no reason to believe most won't swap again or abandon the game when things aren't looking so bright on the ice for the Canes.

Archived