Few Sabres rumors

syr6987

Afinogenov

Maxim Afinogenov's contract is a 3yr contract believe to be between 3 to 5 million$ a season. I tought that he won't get dealt but it is looking like it could be a sign-and-trade situation.

Briere to the Habs?

Taylor Code is reporting on his website that the Habs and Oilers are talking to the Sabres about Briere. The Oilers according to my sources are close to a trade with New Jersey Devils for Scott Gomez and are willing to take the contract of Malahkov and going the other way could be Jarret Stoll or newly sign Shawn Horcoff and Marc Andre Bergeron. I think that the Oilers would eventually find their number 1 Defencemen of their group in Malahkov.

Going to the Habs, they are talking like i said to the Sabres about Briere. Taylor Code is saying that Buffalo is looking for Ryder and a prospect in return. Ribeiro will be on the outside looking in.

Dumont

J.P. Dumont at close to 3 million$. That's ridiculous. Another overpaid bastard in the NHL. Wow. And people are screaming about how much A-Rod is paid around 25.2 million$ with NY Yankees. Look at Dumont in the NHL. Woooooo.

He is going to be dealt away by the Sabres. Don't worry.

i agree about jp. i will be heartbroken if we lose briere, but i can't see keeping dumont for 2.9mil.

big mistake for the sabres if briere is not on the roster...and there is NO WAY they trade him in the division.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, because I really don't know the best way to handle the Briere situation...but is he worth $5 million if he's gone at the end of the year anyways? Or would it be better to trade him (out of conference preferably) and get someone in return that can contribute for a few years. I am struggling with this one.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, because I really don't know the best way to handle the Briere situation...but is he worth $5 million if he's gone at the end of the year anyways? Or would it be better to trade him (out of conference preferably) and get someone in return that can contribute for a few years. I am struggling with this one.

That's the huge question that Darcy is paid the big bucks to answer.

I know it's an unpopular choice (even I don't like it and I am considering advocating it), but it may be best for the Sabres long term (and in a best case a wash this season) to trade Danny for a Brendan Morrison-type player before the season starts.

I don't see the Sabres being able (politically) to trade Danny at the trade deadline if they can't get him extended in January. If that is the case, they have 3 options: trade him now, sign him in January (if they can), or let him walk in July.

The guy is valuable and I have a hard time thinking the Sabres can allow guys like him to just walk without getting anything of value back long term without it significantly affecting the quality of the product on the ice. (Of course, maybe the Sabres expect to lose 1-2 assets each season for bupkis because the reality in a UFA / salary cap world is that the team can't perfectly manage their assets.)

IF the Sabres brought in a Morrison-type player AND Timmy is healthy, I don't see losing Danny as significantly weakening the team. If Timmy can't come back, the team would be much better on ice with Danny than another 2 way player.

If the Sabres could only get prospects for Danny, I'd rather see them get under the cap by dealing Ales and JP for prospects.

In any case, I don't envy Darcy in having to decide what to do on this one, because unless they win the SC this season, whatever he chooses to do will be second guessed.

That's the huge question that Darcy is paid the big bucks to answer.

I know it's an unpopular choice (even I don't like it and I am considering advocating it), but it may be best for the Sabres long term (and in a best case a wash this season) to trade Danny for a Brendan Morrison-type player before the season starts.

I don't see the Sabres being able (politically) to trade Danny at the trade deadline if they can't get him extended in January. If that is the case, they have 3 options: trade him now, sign him in January (if they can), or let him walk in July.

The guy is valuable and I have a hard time thinking the Sabres can allow guys like him to just walk without getting anything of value back long term without it significantly affecting the quality of the product on the ice. (Of course, maybe the Sabres expect to lose 1-2 assets each season for bupkis because the reality in a UFA / salary cap world is that the team can't perfectly manage their assets.)

IF the Sabres brought in a Morrison-type player AND Timmy is healthy, I don't see losing Danny as significantly weakening the team. If Timmy can't come back, the team would be much better on ice with Danny than another 2 way player.

If the Sabres could only get prospects for Danny, I'd rather see them get under the cap by dealing Ales and JP for prospects.

In any case, I don't envy Darcy in having to decide what to do on this one, because unless they win the SC this season, whatever he chooses to do will be second guessed.

You're pretty much right on on the options. I definately agree, no matter what decision Darcy makes, it will be wrong. I want to see Danny back, but if getting him signed long term in January looks problematic, and we can get someone in return that can contribute more to the team in the long run, then I think a deal has to be made.

I agree that if Connolly is ready to go, then Danny will not be missed too much. Connolly's situation makes me nervous, but I don't think he would have been given a 3 year deal if the team was not confident that he would bounce back from this injury.

What I want to know is why we should even bother listening to someone who compares Dumont's contract to Arod's.

I would say no ...

I agree with dave_b ... IF they don't think they can get him signed loing-term in january and they can get a Morrison/Horcoff type of player in a deal, they should do it, and i don't think fans would flip out as much as they would have 2 weeks ago.

Seeing everyone they brought back and adding in one of the above guys in a deal makes losing him much easier to swallow ... if they had been in a situation where they let Max and Dumont go and were looking at 3 young guys from Rochester cracking the lineup, I would say they need Briere to stay. But the lineup is pretty much the same as last season now, and replacing Briere with a Morrison just doesn't sound as bad now.

Still not an easy call.

J.P. Dumont at close to 3 million$. That's ridiculous. Another overpaid bastard in the NHL. Wow. And people are screaming about how much A-Rod is paid around 25.2 million$ with NY Yankees. Look at Dumont in the NHL. Woooooo.

He is going to be dealt away by the Sabres. Don't worry.

You (as well as others) are probably right that 2.9 is too much for JP on this team, but calling him a bastard and comparing him to A-Rod is pathetic and ridiculous.

Afinogenov

Maxim Afinogenov's contract is a 3yr contract believe to be between 3 to 5 million$ a season. I tought that he won't get dealt but it is looking like it could be a sign-and-trade situation.

I thought Max's contract was already reported at 3 years 10 million. :huh: :huh:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my take is that Danny, Timmy & Max were a big part of the Sabres top-5 powerplay last year whereas J.P. was not. Since a large percentage of goals seem to be scored on the powerplay, it would make sense to me to try to keep the vital powerplay guys together... JP doesn't kill penalties and isn't as "necessary" on the powerplay, so for $2.9 mil there is no way he can be kept around.

If the Sabres do sign J.P., the rest of the league knows they need to get rid of him, so the return would be very small. My guess is we wouldn't get more than a 6th or 7th round pick for him... still, that's better than nothing. Also, by signing him and then trading him (for very little return), Darcy can at least try to send him to the western conference.

If the Sabres do sign J.P., the rest of the league knows they need to get rid of him, so the return would be very small. My guess is we wouldn't get more than a 6th or 7th round pick for him... still, that's better than nothing. Also, by signing him and then trading him (for very little return), Darcy can at least try to send him to the western conference.

No doubt the Sabres will not have much leverage in trying to dump salaries, but perhaps packaging Biron and Dumont (or whoever) together they can get something ... again, they have to find a team willing to take on the salary but ... they might bring more as a package than as individuals. Or they could deal two guys totaling ~$5 million for a guy making ~$3 million ... save some cash but yet the other team is not taking on too much ...

Archived