OT: Best Wings in Buffalo?

Quickdraw

I've lived in Buffalo now for about 5 years, and have attended the annual chicken wing festival twice, so I've had a chance to go around town and try out alot of different wings.

What do you consider the best wings in Buffalo? Do you like soggy wings with lots of sauce? Crispy wings with no sauce? Or crispy wings with a fair amount of sauce.

I'm sure many of you guys will say Anchor Bar or Duffs, but to be honest, while I think they're good, I'm just not a huge fan of either. I guess I just don't agree with Duff's method of making a hot wing, which is basically to just dump more sauce on it.

I'm more of a crispy yet saucy type of guy, and I like heat. So if I had to say what my favorite wings were in Buffalo, I'd have to say Bar Bill down on mainstreet in East Aurora. These wings are pretty big and if you walk in there and ask for hot wings they'll ask you, "Have you tried OUR hot before?" I'd say their hot is extra hot.

What's your favorite place? I'm always up for trying out new and out of the way places.

Raymondos on Transit Rd. in Clarence has some GI-normous BBQ Wings and they are soooo good...

That's right down the road from me. Are they grilled wings? Picasso's makes a pretty good chargrilled garlic BBQ wing.

I've been meaning to get to Elmo's - I've heard they are one of the best -- anybody think it's worth the trip out there?

What is this Elmo's you speak of? Where is it located?

Gabriel's Gate on Allen has been my gold standard since the first time I went there before a Sabes game in '97 (we kicked the Flyers ass 7-1 if I remember correctly). Their wings are BIG and the sauce is usually perfect - clears your sinus with the first whiff. Even on an off day, their wings are better than most.

Others that are better than average include:

Cole's (but not Brennans - for sister restaurants, the wings are very different)

JJ's Casa di Pizza on Elmwood (pleasantly surprised with these)

Bob & John's Hacienda on Hertel

Landmark Bar @ Buffalo Airport (they can be hit ot miss, but I've had some great wings there)

Totally agree with you on Anchor bar -- great place to take out of town guests, but barely in the top 10 as far as wing quality goes.

I've been meaning to get to Elmo's - I've heard they are one of the best -- anybody think it's worth the trip out there?

Sorry, I do love Duff's ... still the best to me. Every time I am back in town I can go in there and know exactly what I am getting. I am not a SUPER hot guy, but Duff's medium are perfect to me. and like I said, never an off day.

Bob and John's on Hertel has the best BBQ wings I have had because they actually BBQ them on a flame, not just deep fried.

Gabriel's Gate on Allen has been my gold standard ...

Others that are better than average include:

Cole's (but not Brennans - for sister restaurants, the wings are very different)

JJ's Casa di Pizza on Elmwood (pleasantly surprised with these)

Bob & John's Hacienda on Hertel

Landmark Bar @ Buffalo Airport (they can be hit ot miss, but I've had some great wings there)

Totally agree with you on Anchor bar -- great place to take out of town guests, but barely in the top 10 as far as wing quality goes.

Taken together with Duff's, this is a pretty comprehensive list.

I would also give a shout-out to (the original) La Nova's barbeque wings (they did them first, and they do them best).

And I agree that the Gate has just about the best wings. But also of note on the Gate: I believe it's still the case that the same guy who owns and operates the Gate also has other places around town (Dave Verness sic?]), including Hemingways on Pearl (near Shea's) and the Buffalo House on Franklin (near the convention center). The wings I've had at those joints are comparable to the Gate's.

Also re: Bob and John's: Stop by next-door at the Wellington Pub (same operator), more of a neighborhood tavern feel and the wings are about the same.

One final note, if you want a perfect wing experience, you must sit down at the restaurant and get them -- any transport and covering of the wings will affect the wings (it's the moisture from the steam -- it affects crispness).

One final note, if you want a perfect wing experience, you must sit down at the restaurant and get them -- any transport and covering of the wings will affect the wings (it's the moisture from the steam -- it affects crispness).

This is SUCH a good point.

I will also add to my Duff's endorsement by saying I LOVE them leftover, cold ... not suggesting they are as good as fresh wings, mind you, but many a time i have ordered extra on purpose on a Saturday night so I would have them while tailgating at a Bills game ....

My fiance swears by the wings at Mr. Bills (near the airport on Cleveland/Cayuga), but every time I get them it's like the sauce just...slides off of the wing. In other words, they are cooked just fine, nice and crispy, but it's like their sauce is too thin or something as it doesn't actually adhere to the wing. Has anyone witnessed this phenomenon before?

This is SUCH a good point.

I will also add to my Duff's endorsement by saying I LOVE them leftover, cold ... not suggesting they are as good as fresh wings, mind you, but many a time i have ordered extra on purpose on a Saturday night so I would have them while tailgating at a Bills game ....

You know, last year I bought a club pack of fresh chicken wings from Wegmans to bring to a tailgate and it turned out to be a crowd favorite. Basically they're just fresh raw wings (not frozen). The only sucky part is separating the drum from the flat, but you basically get 100 pieces for about $10.

I bought a few different sauces and just soaked an equal amount in ziplock bags overnight before the game, and threw them on a charcoal grill. Had some Franks hot sauce, Chevetta's, dinosaur bbq, and honey mustard. Turned out pretty well. I'm going to do that again for at least 1 game.

I'll second the Bar Bill for wings. If you haven't tried them you need to, all others mentioned in this thread pale in comparison.

Oh thank you so much. It's nice to know that at least one another person knows these incredible wings exist.

My fiance swears by the wings at Mr. Bills (near the airport on Cleveland/Cayuga), but every time I get them it's like the sauce just...slides off of the wing. In other words, they are cooked just fine, nice and crispy, but it's like their sauce is too thin or something as it doesn't actually adhere to the wing. Has anyone witnessed this phenomenon before?

Never had those wings, but I've seen this happen before.

There are a number of reasons why this might happen, among them: the oil used in the fryer (if it's cheap or just not the right product, it will prevent the sauce from adhering) and/or the "fat" used in the bucket (some places will cut costs by tossing their wings with butter subsitutes and hot sauce -- there is no subsitute for melted butter).

i don't know if it's still around but way back in the day we used to go to this place called Rootie's. that's the best i ever had.

Rooties was my favorite, as well.

One thing I'd like to say is that for me, a "big" wing just means more chicken and less Buffalo. I've always enjoyed normal to small sized wings as you're never left eating plain bites of chicken (assuming one doesn't enjoy bleu cheese). Just a personal preference.

I live in Kerrville, Texas and had the best Buffalo wings of my life the other night at an old family run restaurant (place that used to be a dance hall dating back to 1929 which is old down here at least). Restaurant was Popo's in Welfare, Texas (Boerne is the post office town).

Anyway, I was shocked and felt guilty making that declaration but can't hide from the truth. I was eating wings at the Anchor Bar over Christmas and there are lots of good wings places around my hometown of Watkins Glen but darned if somebody in rural Texas didn't hit the motherload in wing taste! Anyone who doubts me come down & see for yourself!

I've seen and smelled these at Gabriel's Gate but never had a chance to have them. I'll have to try them out. Always smelled great.

well worth the trip -- my usual post-game hangout...nice outdoor patio in the summer as well...and they also have some of my favorite beef on weck (but let's not go off on another food tangent)

Archived