OT: Best Wings in Buffalo?

Quickdraw

What year did you graduate? 2002 here. And agreed on any chicken finger product you guys made. I was probably one of the drunkards that came in 3 to 4 nights a week.

2002 as well! I was definitely one of the drunkards as well. That's why I was working at Mia's; to fund the 3+ nights of partying!

I am going to get some crap for posting this. But I actually went to a place last night that had some decent wings. The White Star Bar in Jersey City for everyone else in North Jersey. The wings were a little small, but they were good and the sauce was actually close to being right (as close as you can get outside of Buffalo). Not like eating them at home, but definately a good substitute when it's hard to get home!

Why would you take crap? If you can find a place even close you should jump all over it to hold you over until you get the real thing. I have not found that place here in Nashville yet, unfortunately ....

Well, I've tried wings at most of the local places mentioned and they are all very good, just different. I guess if I had to make a choice it would be Gabriel's Gate.

Well their Buffalo wings are good, but has anyone tried the Jamaican jerk wings from Just Pizza? Wow! Those are tasty wings!

Here's a question: Has anyone ever gone to a restaurant out of town that has wings on the menu that they advertise as Buffalo wings? Ever try them? If so, where was your worst not-so-Buffalo wing experience?

Mine was in Tucson a few years back at a brew pub called Gentle Ben's. Great beer, great Mexican food, but their Buffalo wings were seasoned with cumin. Hot, but certainly not a Buffalo wing. (And they were tiny, too...)

-Ed B-)

Here's a question: Has anyone ever gone to a restaurant out of town that has wings on the menu that they advertise as Buffalo wings? Ever try them? If so, where was your worst not-so-Buffalo wing experience?

Many places insist on breading them ... so annoying.

I have some friends who went to Syracuse University who tell the story of a guy they went to school with from near Rochester (not sure where this was 15 years ago) who insisted this place in his hometown had the best wings, so they went and tried them. The report? They tasted like peanut butter and jelly. I have no idea how that can be, but they are forever known as the PB&J wings and that kid never lived it down.

almost everyplace around here, especially national chain places, put breading on them :blink: what is with that???? hate it

also many places around here insist on selling the WHOLE wing, not seperated, that is soooooo annoying.

Don't feel like reading everyone else's, so if it's already been said, sorry... but

Nino's Pizza (O.P. and Hamburg) have the best wings.

As for the best in the Rochester area, you have to drive about 30 minutes south to Geneseo where you will find Mama Mia's Pizza.

Any Buffalonian worth their salt ought to be able to make their own from Franks, Butter, and Chicken though.

Wow, didn't think anyone would bring up Nino's. I grew up on the place and love their pizza and subs, but I gotta say the wings there (OP) really suck. One of my neighborhood faves that I haven't seen mentioned is a little restaurant called Connor's across the street from Wet Seneca West H.S. Of course, now there's a Duff's down the street from Nino's, so that's another nice local option :D

BTW guys, I'm pretty damn proud of you guys that you haven't mentioned Buffalo Wild Wings. I've had a few good wings there but overall they don't compare to the local fare.

To be honest, in some cities down south (Tallahassee comes to mind) there aren't a lot of wing options, and BW3 is the best you can do. Here in Ohio, I have a Buffalo Wild Wings about 5 minutes from the house, and while they aren't exactly what we prefer, they're not pig slop either. Actually had some wings from there this afternoon for lunch...not too shabby.

To be honest, in some cities down south (Tallahassee comes to mind) there aren't a lot of wing options, and BW3 is the best you can do. Here in Ohio, I have a Buffalo Wild Wings about 5 minutes from the house, and while they aren't exactly what we prefer, they're not pig slop either. Actually had some wings from there this afternoon for lunch...not too shabby.

While we're on the topic, what about Hooter's :P

While we're on the topic, what about Hooter's :P

Ugh. Brutal wings. Maybe they think the scenery will distract from the awful food. I've had many an argument about the quality of Hooter's food (wings in particular) with my friends from the South, but I think they're just a bunch of dirty old men who wouldn't complain if the girls dropped their food on the floor first... ;)

Archived