OT: Best Wings in Buffalo?

Quickdraw

What is this Elmo's you speak of? Where is it located?

It's an unassuming place in a strip mall in Amherst/Getzville somewhere -- evidently, it's a favorite of the Sabes -- maybe they head over there after skating at the Pepsi Center.

I try to keep my wing/beer consumption confined to the city (Amherst cops can be overzealous), but I plan on checking it out at some point.

Now I am starving for wings, it is 8 am in LA, with no place even close to making edible wings.

So buy a deepfryer (not saying you have to do it today, but). All you need to make very good wings are Frank's and butter (or a butter / margarine blend, if you have to be difficult). Experiment with adding other tweaks, and you can come up with something that can rival or even beat some Buffalo restaurants.

You can typically get bags of precut wings from places like BJ's or Sam's. If your locals don't carry them, you can get them at the grocery store, but will have to cut them apart on your own.

Fry them at 375 (I set my deepfryer to 400 initially, to make up for the fact that the oil will cool some when the wings are added, don't bother thawing them prior to frying them) for ~15-20 minutes. (NOTE: only add 2 wings at a time to the fryer, or you will have the fryer boil over on you.) You can tell they are done by the sound they make when you shake them. Typically, they will start floating somewhere between 7-10 minutes after you put them in the oil, let them go another 5-13 minutes after that depending on how crispy you like them.

Peanut oil is preferred. (Actually, lard is the best to use, but it can be extremely difficult to find nowadays, darn health conscious do gooders.) Other oils won't get them as crispy.

For the sauce, I usually go with about an 1/8 of a stick of butter and after that melts add enough Frank's to have a medium sauce pan filled ~3/8". That will be enough sauce for a batch of 12 large wings or ~18 small ones.

As for Quickdraw's question, I'd say the BarBill is slightly better than Elmo's, but Elmo's are very good. Personally, I'd go with either the Barbill or Duff's, but they are also the easiest ones for me to get to typically.

The best wings, I've ever had (other than my own ;) ) were at Mickey Rat's City Bar back in the late '80's. But they definitely went downhill by the mid-90's.

Elmo's

2349 Millersport Hwy, Getzville, NY

(716) 688-7237

Some reviews I found:

Written in 2002 before the smoking ban:

"I am a fan of the true Buffalo wing made hot, served with blue cheese and celery. For years the Anchor Bar was THE place.. but alas, those times are gone. Luckily, Elmo's is among the places in Buffalo where you can order tastey wings to go. I have not have wings here that I have considered hot even when ordered hot, but the cajun and honey mustard are terrific and they are definately the fattest wings in town! I never dine in, as the smoke is always more than I can tolerate as a non- smoker, but call ahead and pick them up. You won't be able to get home without taking a bite or two!"

"Some of the best chicken wings in the area. Good food and friendly service. On the negative, a small selection of top shelf liqour for such an established buisness. No complaints about any of the food. Also have a great Burger and Sandwich."

It's an unassuming place in a strip mall in Amherst/Getzville somewhere -- evidently, it's a favorite of the Sabes -- maybe they head over there after skating at the Pepsi Center.

I try to keep my wing/beer consumption confined to the city (Amherst cops can be overzealous), but I plan on checking it out at some point.

I believe that you're probably talking about the Amherst Beer & Ale House. Never been...But hear the mo-mercials all the time.

EDIT: ...and can anyone believe how many people are posting on this board during a Wednesday morning in August?

Now I am starving for wings, it is 8 am in LA, with no place even close to making edible wings.

Me too. I'm stuck having a turkey sub with crappy hot sauce on it froma Wawa here in Jersey for my lunch. Rootie's was a fave of our family. How about Buffalo Brew Pub's?

Me too. I'm stuck having a turkey sub with crappy hot sauce on it froma Wawa here in Jersey for my lunch. Rootie's was a fave of our family. How about Buffalo Brew Pub's?

I had a bad experience with the management at the Buffalo Brew Pub, but I promise, no bias. ;)

I didn't like BBP's wing sauce...Not enough flavor (as opposed to straight heat) for my liking. Granted, I only had a few of my brothers' order of medium (spicy). Their hots might be better.

Any local Rochester guys want to chime in about favorite places to get wings here in Rochester, now that Buffalo is settled? :D

The Distillery, the Sports Page, and Baird Road Pub all have excellent wings.

Although my house has the best. B-)

They're called Buffalo Wings, not Rochester Wings

But I am curious, are there any indigenous foods to Rochester ? -- We've got our wings and weck (and to some extent, pizza) -- what would I eat if I went to an Amerks game? Anything unique to the city?

I'm partial to the buffalo brew pub.

1) its close to my house in clarence

2) they have a fine homebrewed beer selection

3) the wings are very good.

As for the post on the medium wings from the BBP, i can't comment. i've only had hot wings, and they're very good.

They're called Buffalo Wings, not Rochester Wings

But I am curious, are there any indigenous foods to Rochester ? -- We've got our wings and weck (and to some extent, pizza) -- what would I eat if I went to an Amerks game? Anything unique to the city?

Garbage Plates.

Mmmmmmm...Yummy.

I'm partial to the buffalo brew pub.

1) its close to my house in clarence

2) they have a fine homebrewed beer selection

3) the wings are very good.

As for the post on the medium wings from the BBP, i can't comment. i've only had hot wings, and they're very good.

I cetainly agree with number 2. Their beer selection, while not overwhelming in number, has a lot of good local brews, specials that change often, and decent prices once you get your mug.

Garbage Plates.

Mmmmmmm...Yummy.

I cetainly agree with number 2. Their beer selection, while not overwhelming in number, has a lot of good local brews, specials that change often, and decent prices once you get your mug.

I'm not a beer snob, but i have tried all of them, and they're all tasty. Not something i'd spend the money on to get drunk, but there's nothing like a nice microbrew to go along with a crock of french onion soup, wings, popcorn, peanuts, and either bills or sabres on the TV.

Garbage Plates.

Mmmmmmm...Yummy.

And white hots.

I lived in Rochester for 20 years before I moved to Buffalo, and I'd have to say that the best wings in Rochester are at Jeremiah's on Monroe Ave, hands down.

And yeah, Garbage Plates are rochester's specialty. A few places to get great plates:

Nick Tahous (the originator, the place to get a plate)

Empire Hots (in Webster off Empire Blvd.)

Parkside Hots (across the street from Sea Breeze)

In Buffalo, the only place I know you can get a plate at is University Hots...one on Elmwood and one on Main Street.

But, back to wings! I'm interested in trying out some of these places now. Maybe should make a category for where to get good non-traditional wings as well (i.e. wings of other flavors).

Ah, yes...Nice catch.

EDIT: I had no idea Buffalo had a place for Plates. I live 5 minutes from there, too. I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight.

It's a decent knock-off. I've had one at each of the locations. Only thing is they don't give you a side of bread that is standard in Rochester. No biggie though.

It's a decent knock-off. I've had one at each of the locations. Only thing is they don't give you a side of bread that is standard in Rochester. No biggie though.

Many thanks for the heads up...My Plate palette is sadly unrefined, so I'm sure I won't miss the subtlties as much as most when I'm smashing my face into it tonight. :)

It's been a long time, but I think your right. I was also thinking it might have been on Military Rd??

Jeff

I know Honey's has a place on Military Road, in front of the Factory Outlet Mall, but I don't know if the Pine Ave location is still open. I don't think it is, but when I am back in town, I don't usualy spend too much time down on Pine Ave...

Any local Rochester guys want to chime in about favorite places to get wings here in Rochester, now that Buffalo is settled? :D

My wife is from Penfield (eastern suburb of Rochester) and we always get stuff from Pontillo's, which is pretty damn good pizza & wings...I always look forward to getting grub from there.

When I lived in Orlando, it was very tough to find really good wings - you end up lowering your standards lot - but the best I found was a place called Miller's Ale House. They have a bunch of locations in Orlando, and around a lot of the bigger Florida cities. The wings are a good size, the sauce isn't bad, and the blue cheese is pretty good (an often overlooked aspect of the wings experience, IMO - crappy BC can screw up the whole experience.) I wouldn't say their wings are better than most of the Buffalo staples, but their wings are an above-average quality - as good as you'd find in most average WNY pizza & wing joints. That's saying alot for a Florida place. You just have to make sure you order the wings without breading - seems like Southerners want to bread everything.

I know Honey's has a place on Military Road, in front of the Factory Outlet Mall, but I don't know if the Pine Ave location is still open.

The one on Pine has been closed for years. And as for Honey's on Military, its still there and the wings are as good as ever, you may even catch the wife and I there everyonce in a while, having a few drinks... Also has anyone been to Sawyer Creek Hotel in Wheatfield, on the corner of NF Blvd and Ward Rd?... I stand by the statment of the Best wings in Western NY....

There used to be a place near the RIT campus. It opened during the early 90s - I think it was called GT Rocks (Jefferson Road). Pretty good wings for Rochester.

I'll still take Duffs over anyone else.

That's right down the road from me. Are they grilled wings? Picasso's makes a pretty good chargrilled garlic BBQ wing.

Elmo's on Millersport past UB North Campus ( right before West Herr)

Real good food there.

Watched a bunch of sabres games there.

Elmo's

2349 Millersport Hwy, Getzville, NY

(716) 688-7237

Some reviews I found:

Written in 2002 before the smoking ban:

"I am a fan of the true Buffalo wing made hot, served with blue cheese and celery. For years the Anchor Bar was THE place.. but alas, those times are gone. Luckily, Elmo's is among the places in Buffalo where you can order tastey wings to go. I have not have wings here that I have considered hot even when ordered hot, but the cajun and honey mustard are terrific and they are definately the fattest wings in town! I never dine in, as the smoke is always more than I can tolerate as a non- smoker, but call ahead and pick them up. You won't be able to get home without taking a bite or two!"

"Some of the best chicken wings in the area. Good food and friendly service. On the negative, a small selection of top shelf liqour for such an established buisness. No complaints about any of the food. Also have a great Burger and Sandwich."

I must say this review is dead on, This place has amazing wings, they have a wide variety of flavors and each one is unique and some would make you think "what, wait...on a chicken wing?" I been there be4 with a group of friends, and its really a nice small restaurant/bar atmosphere w/ awesome food, the service...let's just say I know why it's a favorite of the Sabres....(there's a smokin' hot waitress) For anyone else around here who thinks they might wanna try it out, I'd be willing to bet that You will not be disappointed w/ your experience! Peace

Archived