To be taken with a grain of salt---Tallinder Deal 4 Years/ 18 Million

matter2003

OK, I took this with a grain of salt, but we have a guy that used to work next door to us and part-time with the Sabres security, who now works full-time at the HSBC claiming Tallinder got a 4 year deal worth 18 million...

Sounds a little high to me, especially for what the Sabres usually pay, but maybe this is a sign that Golisano realizes that it does no good to find good players and draft well if you aren't gonna pay to keep them when they are in their prime...

Take it for what its worth, a full-time security guard working for the Sabres said the deal is 4 years 18 million---I guess we will find out how accurate he is...

Matter2003

Wow, roughly $4.5M per year? If that's true, that's nuts, so I call . That is not the type of deal I would expect Darcy "sugar stealer" Regier to agree to.

That being said, Henrik's a great player, and he's only going to get better. He's not a $4M defensemen yet.

The Sab's had to lock him up before he turned UFA, but that's a high price to achieve that.

Wow, roughly $4.5M per year? If that's true, that's nuts, so I call . That is not the type of deal I would expect Darcy "sugar stealer" Regier to agree to.

That being said, Henrik's a great player, and he's only going to get better. He's not a $4M defensemen yet.

The Sab's had to lock him up before he turned UFA, but that's a high price to achieve that.

Yeah, I agree it does sound a little high, especially for the Sabres---I would expect something in the 13-14 mil range for Tallinder...

Matter2003

I'm not used to NHL salaries, but unlike the NFL, there are no signing bonuses (boni?) and the contract are guaranteed, right? Do they make the same salary every year of the contract or does it usually go up from year to year?

I'm not used to NHL salaries, but unlike the NFL, there are no signing bonuses (boni?) and the contract are guaranteed, right? Do they make the same salary every year of the contract or does it usually go up from year to year?

Only players on entry level contracts and veterans coming off injuries are allowed to have bonuses in their contracts (for the vets, they are only allowed in year 1 of the contract). EDIT: Veterans that are over 35 and signing 1 year deals are also allowed performance bonuses.

For most players, if the team "buys out" the guaranteed contract, the player receives 2/3 of the remaining $'s and the team gets hit with 1/2 of the buyout $'s each year for 2x the length of buyout. ($3MM/yr player w/ 2 years remaining on contract receives $4MM from the team at the time of the buyout. Player counts $1MM against the cap for the next 4 years.)

Typically, the salary is the same in each year of the contract, but it doesn't have to be. The average $ of the contract is charged against the cap in each year of the contract. (Player w/ 3 year contract, recieving $1MM in Y1, $2 in Y2, and $3 in Y3, counts as $2MM against the cap each year.)

Only players on entry level contracts and veterans coming off injuries signing 1 year deals are allowed to have bonuses in their contracts.

For most players, if the team "buys out" the guaranteed contract, the player receives 2/3 of the remaining $'s and the team gets hit with 1/2 of the buyout $'s each year for 2x the length of buyout. ($3MM/yr player w/ 2 years remaining on contract receives $4MM from the team at the time of the buyout. Player counts $1MM against the cap for the next 4 years.)

Typically, the salary is the same in each year of the contract, but it doesn't have to be. The average $ of the contract is charged against the cap in each year of the contract. (Player w/ 3 year contract, recieving $1MM in Y1, $2 in Y2, and $3 in Y3, counts as $2MM against the cap each year.)

So odds are good that this is a 4-year deal averaging $1.6M a year?

So odds are good that this is a 4-year deal averaging $1.6M a year?

No, it will get progresssively higher. Probably end up at 4 years, around 8 million. Not bad at all when your locking up a guyready to hit his prime. Hopefully Tallinder brings it to the next level this year.

Something like:

2006-2007 - $1.6 million

2007-2008 - $1.9 million

2008-2009 - $2.2 million

2009-2010 - $2.3 million

If that is correct that is a great deal for Buffalo. I love the fact that the D is coming together.

For all the talk of the forwards, the quick skating defense is really what gave the Sabres the

ability to turn the puck up ice quickly and score on the rush.

This may prove to be the most important signing for the clubs future.

I love the fact that the D is coming together. For all the talk of the forwards, the quick skating defense is really what gave the Sabres the ability to turn the puck up ice quickly and score on the rush.

This may prove to be the most important signing for the clubs future.

I think Miller's contract may have some bearing.

But, yes, if the D is becoming a family, Teppo's the grandfather whose style of play screams "calm the #%^$#! down you crazy kids!"

Archived