Afinogenov - In or Out?

thesportsbuff

I've heard rumors around the internet and my town that Afinogenov may not be signed this year. He's been my favorite player since '99, and I don't want to see him go. Although he probably will demand a very high payroll, I almost think leading the team in points merits that. We have a little money to spend, why not?

Anyway, just wondering your oppinions on him, and whether you think we'll sign/trade/ditch him.

I've heard rumors around the internet and my town that Afinogenov may not be signed this year. He's been my favorite player since '99, and I don't want to see him go. Although he probably will demand a very high payroll, I almost think leading the team in points merits that. We have a little money to spend, why not?

Anyway, just wondering your oppinions on him, and whether you think we'll sign/trade/ditch him.

I think Max should be re-signed. He really started to break out as a playmaker last season. The casual fan is never going to be happy because most just look under the G column. He may not be a great finisher, but if you give him someone to set up, he is going to have another strong year.

I can garuntee that he won't be ditched. He's been qualified. So, they would just be throwing his rights away if they ditched him.

As long as he continues learning how to distribute the puck like he started to last year, I'm all for signing him. I don't know if he'll ever learn to be a strong finisher, but as long as he can dump the puck off after he's made his first sick move to stupify a defender entering the zone, he can still be a major asset.

He had more assists than any other player on the team last year. How is this a bad thing? Any talk about getting rid of him is completely message board/talk radio driven. You never hear it from any real sources (TSN or any of those other sites out there). It's nothing more than a few stupid fans (ie: 90% of the fans out there) saying "I don't like this guy since he doesn't score goals". Don't waste any time listening to these "rumors".

i agree that we must keep max - but i do understand the feeling that maybe he's not worth what he might cost. (does that make sense?)

also, you can't ignore his disappearing act in the playoffs. that said, it was his first real run -- give him some more time and see what he can do.

last thought: it'd be disappointing not to see him in blue and gold next year, given that this is the new nhl, and his rushes are the best we've had since gil was gliding across center.

He had more assists than any other player on the team last year. How is this a bad thing? Any talk about getting rid of him is completely message board/talk radio driven. You never hear it from any real sources (TSN or any of those other sites out there). It's nothing more than a few stupid fans (ie: 90% of the fans out there) saying "I don't like this guy since he doesn't score goals". Don't waste any time listening to these "rumors".

I don't think it is that simple ... I think the reason his name gets tossed around is that he IS an asset but we also have several other forwards who are similar players and if there is a surplus and you look to trade one, his name comes up because he is older and more expensive than, for instance, Roy or Vanek or Pominville ... and he would bring more in return than Pyatt, Dumont or Kotalik ...

I like Max, I think he gets a bad rap because of the Bure comparisons and he has become a pretty scrappy player who has a far more complete game than he did 2 years ago. He lapses into trying to do too much at times, and he will never be a superstar, but I can see him consistently putting up the numbers he did last season.

All that said, if someone asked me the sabres forward most likely to be traded I would say Max. The younger guys have updside, are cheaper and we hold their rights for longer which has to be a consideration for this franchise, and I think if I was another team he's more attractive than Pyatt, Dumont or Kotalik ...

It's not a knock on him, it just is what it is.

I don't think it is that simple ... I think the reason his name gets tossed around is that he IS an asset but we also have several other forwards who are similar players and if there is a surplus and you look to trade one, his name comes up because he is older and more expensive than, for instance, Roy or Vanek or Pominville ... and he would bring more in return than Pyatt, Dumont or Kotalik ...

I like Max, I think he gets a bad rap because of the Bure comparisons and he has become a pretty scrappy player who has a far more complete game than he did 2 years ago. He lapses into trying to do too much at times, and he will never be a superstar, but I can see him consistently putting up the numbers he did last season.

All that said, if someone asked me the sabres forward most likely to be traded I would say Max. The younger guys have updside, are cheaper and we hold their rights for longer which has to be a consideration for this franchise, and I think if I was another team he's more attractive than Pyatt, Dumont or Kotalik ...

It's not a knock on him, it just is what it is.

That's exactly what I was worried about. (Although I could see Pyatt being traded as well.)

Max is one of the most exciting players in the league. I only made it to 5 games last season (including my first playoff game in G2 vs PHI), but in each one, everytime Max made a rush the whole fanbase stood to observe. I've always liked him for his ability to completely outskate and outdeke defenders, but this year he really proved what he's worth. Remember his OT pass to Briere? That was one of the best passes I've ever seen.

I just hope they keep him. :)

I think Afinigonov will come back, and I think the sabres want him back. They have dedicated a lot of time and money on him, and have been very patient with his development. I would hate to see all that go to waste unless they can use him as bait to land an all-star.

I think Afinigonov will come back, and I think the sabres want him back. They have dedicated a lot of time and money on him, and have been very patient with his development. I would hate to see all that go to waste unless they can use him as bait to land an all-star.

That's a good point, they have been patient with him...

Everyone has to remember that there is no way this organization is going to sign every single one of their young players. The team budget just won't allow for it. Sooner of later, Darcy will need to decide who he is building the team around and the others will be traded for prospects or lost in free agency with nothing in return.

So is Max considered a core part of the team?

I'd worry about Briere, Tallinder & Lydman first. Also, the Sabres need to decide if they are going to re-sign Drury. See how much these guys cost the team and then go from there with players like Max , Dumont, Miller, etc...

Which one? The one in game 1 vs. Philly was Hecht, not Max ... what am I forgetting? I am getting old ...

Nah, it was far before the playoffs. I think it was that highscoring OT win vs Ottawa... 6-5 in OT or 5-4. (Again, not the playoff one.)

Everyone has to remember that there is no way this organization is going to sign every single one of their young players. The team budget just won't allow for it. Sooner of later, Darcy will need to decide who he is building the team around and the others will be traded for prospects or lost in free agency with nothing in return.

So is Max considered a core part of the team?

I'd worry about Briere, Tallinder & Lydman first. Also, the Sabres need to decide if they are going to re-sign Drury. See how much these guys cost the team and then go from there with players like Max , Dumont, Miller, etc...

While that is true, I don't see how the leading point-scorer wouldn't be a core asset. I consider him one, along with Roy & Pominville.

Nah, it was far before the playoffs. I think it was that highscoring OT win vs Ottawa... 6-5 in OT or 5-4. (Again, not the playoff one.)

While that is true, I don't see how the leading point-scorer wouldn't be a core asset. I consider him one, along with Roy & Pominville.

While Roy and to some extent Pominville have promising futures as Sabres, they are young and still a few years away from UFA status. Decisions have to be made on 5 or 6 others(Tallinder, Lydman, Drury, Briere, Dumont, Max, Kotalik,etc...) who are closer to UFA status, in terms of long term future with the club.

While Roy and to some extent Pominville have promising futures as Sabres, they are young and still a few years away from UFA status. Decisions have to be made on 5 or 6 others(Tallinder, Lydman, Drury, Briere, Dumont, Max, Kotalik,etc...) who are closer to UFA status, in terms of long term future with the club.

Which is sad because i'm in love with this team. I'd hate to see any of them go. If I had to pick one, I'd let Lydman go.

Which is sad because i'm in love with this team. I'd hate to see any of them go. If I had to pick one, I'd let Lydman go.

The team is not in a position to let any of their regular defensemen go. Dumont and Kotalik seem to be the most replaceable, even though I think Kotalik and Drury are the only true snipers on the team.

The team is not in a position to let any of their regular defensemen go. Dumont and Kotalik seem to be the most replaceable, even though I think Kotalik and Drury are the only true snipers on the team.

If you want a reflection of who the team snipers are, look at shooting percentage. I'm not saying this is the be-all end-all stat to determin a sniper, but I believe it is very telling.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?service=...iewName=summary

Max's play in the playoffs was a huge red flag. If he was even 50% of what he was in the regular season (.948 ppg compared to .444 playoffs ppg) the Sabres may have been able to overcome all the injuries.

For me it comes down to numbers. What is he asking? And like Briere, can he match the numbers of last season? I'd like to see more then one season before the Sabres cash in their lottery tickets.

I'd call Briere, Connolly, and probably Pomminstein snipers before big Al...

Unlike guys like Cambell, Roy, Tallinder, Max regressed in the playoffs. He worked hard, but he was taking the shot instead of setting someone up. Perhaps Connelly's concussion, and Vanek's rookie meltdown probably had a lot to do with that, but I'm not sure. I'd sign him, but he might then be trade bait...

I'd call Briere, Connolly, and probably Pomminstein snipers before big Al...

Unlike guys like Cambell, Roy, Tallinder, Max regressed in the playoffs. He worked hard, but he was taking the shot instead of setting someone up. Perhaps Connelly's concussion, and Vanek's rookie meltdown probably had a lot to do with that, but I'm not sure. I'd sign him, but he might then be trade bait...

Tallinder?

I thought he was the Sabres best up until he got hurt. I think he would have had a couple of Votes for the MVP. That is of course if Pyatt didn't garner them all.

Max's play in the playoffs was a huge red flag. If he was even 50% of what he was in the regular season (.948 ppg compared to .444 playoffs ppg) the Sabres may have been able to overcome all the injuries.

For me it comes down to numbers. What is he asking? And like Briere, can he match the numbers of last season? I'd like to see more then one season before the Sabres cash in their lottery tickets.

Yep! Jack posted above that all the Sabes fans stood when he rushed down the ice in the playoffs against Philly...true....only to throw their hands in the air when he gave up the puck. He just can't close. BUt he is a set up maestro!

My vote is too keep him for a reasonable sum, maybe a 2 year deal at 2.5-3 a year.

In another thread Matter2003 made an interesting comparison: Horcoff's signing (3 year deal worth $3.6 million a year) was closer to setting the bar for Afinigenov, as they had very similar point totals (Horcoff 73, Afinigenov 71)...

3.6 a year for max seems like a lot for darcy to swallow.

Archived