Sabres front just dont get it....

navybillsfan

"I expect they'll take those offers into the marketplace and see what they can do," Regier said. "They've earned the right to and we'll have to make decisions. And they'll have to make decisions, and hopefully, they decide to stay here."

Should be fun watching the rest of the league pass us....

Good luck Jay!

Mckee is priced out of buffalo. The only way he'd stay is if the sabres offered him a modest deal to play for the cup. Mckee is apparently choosing to test the water for the higher $$ at the expense of playing for a sure fire cup team next year. Unless someone grossly overpays for him, chances are still good that he might come back next year. Replacing a stay at home defenseman is easier than replacing a playmaker forward, goalie, or defensive pointman, so it makes sense that the sabres won't break the bank for him.

"I expect they'll take those offers into the marketplace and see what they can do," Regier said. "They've earned the right to and we'll have to make decisions. And they'll have to make decisions, and hopefully, they decide to stay here."

Should be fun watching the rest of the league pass us....

Good luck Jay!

Navy --

First, if you are in the Navy, thank you for keeping us safe. As a father and a citizen I am deeply in your debt. (Corp, same to you if you are in the Marines.)

Second, I must completely disagree with your post. I would love to keep all 3 of our UFAs, but not at the cost of losing a ton of money. This is not TG "being a cheapskate" or Darcy "waiting too long to act". It is simply us avoiding the road to financial ruin and losing the team. It's as simple as that. No team can pay out millions of dollars more than they take in.

We've made offers to McKee, Grier and Numminen that represents what we can afford to pay them. They think they are going to get much better offers from another team, so they are going to wait to see what else is out there. In McKee's case, he is almost certainly right and almost certainly gone. It only takes one team to make a crazy offer for a UFA to leave. It's definitely going to happen with McKee and maybe/maybe not with the other 2.

No one is mistaken or acting in a greedy or foolish way here. We have to do what's best for our team, and McKee,Grier and Teppo have to do what's best for them. What's best for our team is to continue to avoid financial losses while developing younger players and getting good value in trades and FA signings around the league. What's best for our UFAs is to make as much cash as they can before their short careers are over (of course, if the difference between our offer and another offer is minimal, it's probably better to stay, but if it's in the millions, they have to go).

Finally, the rest of the league is not going to pass us by if we lose McKee, Teppo and Grier. These are all good players and veteran leaders, but we have a glut of forwards and I'm confident Darcy will make the right moves to plug the holes on D. Let's remember that neither McKee nor Teppo was on our top defensive pairing this year. We will survive and in fact I fully expect us to be better next year than we were this year -- and I think McKee and Grier are both going to be gone. (I don't think we'll improve because of losing those 2, I just think our young players are going to continue to improve.)

Go Sabres.

I agree on not overpaying but watching this team become a farm team for the rest of the league is bullcrap! Sometimes you have to hold on to those special players, and Jay is one of them. How many of those blocked shots would of went in??? Sabres are looking to spend only around 32 million. Well, the cap is 44 million and a bunch of teams will spend that. This team is lacking solid star power and it showed. Drury struggled, DB, Pyatt, JP, Af, all struggled against Carolina. The time is NOW for this team to win a cup, keep our guys and ADD a couple for that run. Even if that means shelling out a couple of extra bucks...

This is just my take guys. I dont want to see this team take a step back

Navy --

First, if you are in the Navy, thank you for keeping us safe. As a father and a citizen I am deeply in your debt. (Corp, same to you if you are in the Marines.)

Second, I must completely disagree with your post. I would love to keep all 3 of our UFAs, but not at the cost of losing a ton of money. This is not TG "being a cheapskate" or Darcy "waiting too long to act". It is simply us avoiding the road to financial ruin and losing the team. It's as simple as that. No team can pay out millions of dollars more than they take in.

We've made offers to McKee, Grier and Numminen that represents what we can afford to pay them. They think they are going to get much better offers from another team, so they are going to wait to see what else is out there. In McKee's case, he is almost certainly right and almost certainly gone. It only takes one team to make a crazy offer for a UFA to leave. It's definitely going to happen with McKee and maybe/maybe not with the other 2.

No one is mistaken or acting in a greedy or foolish way here. We have to do what's best for our team, and McKee,Grier and Teppo have to do what's best for them. What's best for our team is to continue to avoid financial losses while developing younger players and getting good value in trades and FA signings around the league. What's best for our UFAs is to make as much cash as they can before their short careers are over (of course, if the difference between our offer and another offer is minimal, it's probably better to stay, but if it's in the millions, they have to go).

Finally, the rest of the league is not going to pass us by if we lose McKee, Teppo and Grier. These are all good players and veteran leaders, but we have a glut of forwards and I'm confident Darcy will make the right moves to plug the holes on D. Let's remember that neither McKee nor Teppo was on our top defensive pairing this year. We will survive and in fact I fully expect us to be better next year than we were this year -- and I think McKee and Grier are both going to be gone. (I don't think we'll improve because of losing those 2, I just think our young players are going to continue to improve.)

Go Sabres.

I agree on not overpaying but watching this team become a farm team for the rest of the league is bullcrap! Sometimes you have to hold on to those special players, and Jay is one of them. How many of those blocked shots would of went in??? Sabres are looking to spend only around 32 million. Well, the cap is 44 million and a bunch of teams will spend that. This team is lacking solid star power and it showed. Drury struggled, DB, Pyatt, JP, Af, all struggled against Carolina. The time is NOW for this team to win a cup, keep our guys and ADD a couple for that run. Even if that means shelling out a couple of extra bucks...

This is just my take guys. I dont want to see this team take a step back

Could you explain this further? "it showed"? How? By being the best team in hockey only falling victim to freak injuries to their top four blueliners and their best powerplay point man? Take any great team in history. The Habs, Oilers or Islanders. Remove their top four defenders and their top PP guy and none of them would win a thing.

Jay is a great role player. You don't break the bank on role players.

Take alook around the league this off season and what are you seeing? You're seeing teams dumping salaries. Moving overpaid players like Bertuzzi and Stefan in order to get younger and better. The Sabres are the model NHL Franchise right now. There will always be the Maple Leafs of the league that will spend and spend and get nowhere. But more teams will be trying to be like the Sabres.

Jay is a great role player. You don't break the bank on role players.

Really?

Is that why there are a bunch of teams already looking at trying to sign him when he becomes a FA?

Unfortunately the person who made the comment about Buffalo becoming a Farm team for the rest of the league is right. If the front office can't see that the time is now to keep the team they have and make the run for the cup, then they will only be taking a step back.

If their beliefs are that we can just keep going back to the minors to get replacements, its going to backfire. The Sabres have some great young players and unfortunately it looks like once they get good and are in line for a new contract, they are gone because they don't want to spend money. This is only going to lose them money cause the fans are not going to keep coming out to see the team unless they put a winner on the ice. It took them long enough to get the fans back last season and are riding a high right now with alot of fan support. Theay are going to lose that when fans start to realise that the team would rather turn a profit then making sure a championship is won.

I'm not saying that they should sign top level free agents, but for christ sake, resign the key players from last years team and work from there. McKee isn't going to break the bank, but he isn't going to play for a song and dance either. Say what you will about him, but he was very key to this team blocking almost as many shots as Miller (j/k), and in case no one noticed, in the new NHL, the good teams have guys willing to block alot of shots.

Ticket will not sell unless this team forks out and shows it wants to win. Bad thing for Darcy and co. is the fans of the Sabres and Bills are not stupid. They want record season ticket sales then show me you want to win a cup. Showing our team core the door will not win us crap. We cant build every year guys. You want to build a team for 10 years then love the Bills and hate the Sabres. This team is right there to win it all! Sign all the guys back and add a couple! Make this team great for the next 3 years!

Really?

Is that why there are a bunch of teams already looking at trying to sign him when he becomes a FA?

Unfortunately the person who made the comment about Buffalo becoming a Farm team for the rest of the league is right. If the front office can't see that the time is now to keep the team they have and make the run for the cup, then they will only be taking a step back.

If their beliefs are that we can just keep going back to the minors to get replacements, its going to backfire. The Sabres have some great young players and unfortunately it looks like once they get good and are in line for a new contract, they are gone because they don't want to spend money. This is only going to lose them money cause the fans are not going to keep coming out to see the team unless they put a winner on the ice. It took them long enough to get the fans back last season and are riding a high right now with alot of fan support. Theay are going to lose that when fans start to realise that the team would rather turn a profit then making sure a championship is won.

I'm not saying that they should sign top level free agents, but for christ sake, resign the key players from last years team and work from there. McKee isn't going to break the bank, but he isn't going to play for a song and dance either. Say what you will about him, but he was very key to this team blocking almost as many shots as Miller (j/k), and in case no one noticed, in the new NHL, the good teams have guys willing to block alot of shots.

DeLuca, would you consider Drury a role player?

I think Drury is making a transition from a role player to a star. While under Ruff his game is rounding out. This from someone who thought his first year and a quarter as a Sabre was a huge failure. If Drury continues to improve his play at both ends he is a player you might have to pay big bucks. Saying that. If his contract was up I wouldn't go past $4 million a year.

I also don't think Briere is worth more then or equal to Drury. I know fans like to sign blank checks to flashy players. I think Danny needs to stay healthy. If he can prove he is a 100 point NHL player. Then I would be willing to re-think my position.

Really?

Which teams?

They wouldn't be the same team (ie. Leafs, Rangers ect..) that overpay for every player?

Ticket will not sell unless this team forks out and shows it wants to win. Bad thing for Darcy and co. is the fans of the Sabres and Bills are not stupid. They want record season ticket sales then show me you want to win a cup. Showing our team core the door will not win us crap. We cant build every year guys. You want to build a team for 10 years then love the Bills and hate the Sabres. This team is right there to win it all! Sign all the guys back and add a couple! Make this team great for the next 3 years!

I believe they already have about 13,000 season tickets sold for next year.

McKee is not part of the core. Tallinder, Kalinin and Lydman are the core of the blueline. And they will be here for a long time.

The season hasn't been over for two weeks. Lets see what free agency has to offer and what players the Sabres deal before we start to claiming the sky is falling.

63 Wins in a season deseves that much respect.

DeLuca, would you consider Drury a role player?

This is a good question, as Drury is not your classic NHL star. I assume your point is that if Drury is not a star and we are paying him $3 million, why not pay McKee that much. However, I believe Drury is a bigger part of our core than McKee is and that losing Drury would hurt quite a bit more than losing McKee. Drury plays the PP, the PK and a regular shift, led the team with 30 goals last year and is the captain. No matter how you slice it, that is a more valuable player than a 3-4 defenseman who plays 16 minutes per game, which is what McKee is.

I'd also point out that I'd be willing (as I suspect most of the "don't overpay" group would be) to pay McKee something in Drury's neighborhood. I wouldn't go any higher than $8 million for 3 years, which would be $2.67 million per year -- pretty close to Drury's $3.1 million. However, someone is going to offer McKee a 4-year deal at $3 million or more -- which is going to give him $12 million, or 50% more guaranteed money than he'd get from the Sabres. That makes financial sense for him but not for us.

McKee is not part of the core. Tallinder, Kalinin and Lydman are the core of the blueline. And they will be here for a long time.

The season hasn't been over for two weeks. Lets see what free agency has to offer and what players the Sabres deal before we start to claiming the sky is falling.

63 Wins in a season deseves that much respect.

While I will disagree with DeLuca in that I think McKee was part of the core this year, I totally agree that we need to wait and see what happens before we just assume that we are quitting, not trying to win the cup, etc. Darcy knows what he's doing.

Go Sabres.

didn't a lot of people complain last summer that Darcy wasn't doing enough for us to compete for the Cup and we should have signed some more FA's???? and remind me how that turned out.... that's what I thought, it turned out pretty damn good. Let's not overreact to things that didn't even happen yet. McKee hasn't signed anywhere, and can't right now... so I'm all for speculation, but don't criticize either side until there is something to actually complain about.

While I will disagree with DeLuca in that I think McKee was part of the core this year, I totally agree that we need to wait and see what happens before we just assume that we are quitting, not trying to win the cup, etc. Darcy knows what he's doing.

Go Sabres.

He was this season. But at this point you are making a decision for the next two to three seasons. You have what you have in McKee. He has no upside. When I think core I think players that will be here for the long term. Players with upside.

I'm not saying McKee is without value. If the Sabres could sign him without throwing the defensive salary structure out of wack I would do it. You have to remember. In small market economics, when you structure a contract you have to take into account the players coming down the line and their contracts.

One good season with a profit doesn't make the Sabres the New York Rangers. Despite this season, nothing has changed in regards to how the Sabres have to do business in order to be successful. .

Despite this season, nothing has changed in regards to how the Sabres have to do business in order to be successful. .

A lot has changed: expectations. And this fact has to change the way the Sabres do business. Most core fans, represented pretty well on this board, are going to be there no matter what and accept all too readily the Sabres' representation of the economics of the situation. Sadly, most will not have a problem with a heart and soul player like Jay McKee leaving. They'll write their posts and buy their tickets and be one of 14,224 for that home game in November against Atlanta. But out in the real world are those tens of thousands of people who suddenly fell in love with this team in May. They represent a new generation of fans, this franchise's opportunity to finally pull itself out of the financial Catch 22 they are constantly in, to become a viable franchise for the future. If those people are brought into the fold, this can be a true hockey region. They are waiting and watching to see if the Sabres make themselves better and make a run at it. They don't see shades of green like we do. They see a multibillionaire owner and the prospect of losing good players for relatively small amounts of money. If it happens, it will turn them off. It makes sense in our little bizarro world, but not theirs. On Sunday, the Buffalo News sports page had three letters to the editor with all basically the same theme: Either accusing Tom Golisano of being too cheap, or wondering if he is too cheap, to go for a Stanley Cup next season. Perception is reality.

The Sabres are at a crossroads. If it's back to business as usual, back to 2002 and 2003 again, well, shame on the Sabres. The people have had a taste of success, and they like it. But if the Sabres find a way to actually get better, and make it clear to the fans that's what they're interested in, not just the bottom line, they have a chance to turn the tide here. You wonder if Golisano might secretly be cursing The Plan. It actually worked. It created a monster. The perfect storm. Now what the hell is this going to cost me? Is that why he looked down at the ice with The Muckler Look from Game 7 against Ottawa after we won in overtime? Does that explain his "bring back most of the team" and "with a little more luck" letter to the public? As a letter writer pointed out, luck plays no part in this. You make your own luck, Tom, and here's your chance. For a hockey franchise, it's an opportunity that doesn't come along more than once in a generation.

Now what the hell is this going to cost me? Is that why he looked down at the ice with The Muckler Look from Game 7 against Ottawa after we won in overtime? Does that explain his "bring back most of the team" and "with a little more luck" letter to the public? As a letter writer pointed out, luck plays no part in this. You make your own luck, Tom, and here's your chance. For a hockey franchise, it's an opportunity that doesn't come along more than once in a generation.

Wasn't that game 5 in Ottawa? I don't think we took the Sentators to a game 7.

Bad writing on my part. I'm talking about the look Muckler had in 1997 when we won beat Ottawa in Game 7 at MMA.

Ahhhhhh. Thanks for the clarification. I was getting ready to email the hockey guru known as DeCock to get an answer.

Muckler does have some great faces, especially in defeat.

Bad thing for Darcy and co. is the fans of the Sabres and Bills are not stupid.

Bills fans AREN'T stupid? We all went out in droves to watch #%^$#! the last 5 years. It took me that long to realize they are horrible and not getting better anytime soon.

But out in the real world are those tens of thousands of people who suddenly fell in love with this team in May. They represent a new generation of fans, this franchise's opportunity to finally pull itself out of the financial Catch 22 they are constantly in, to become a viable franchise for the future. If those people are brought into the fold, this can be a true hockey region. They are waiting and watching to see if the Sabres make themselves better and make a run at it. They don't see shades of green like we do. They see a multibillionaire owner and the prospect of losing good players for relatively small amounts of money. If it happens, it will turn them off.

PAFan -- just to be clear, are you saying that these new fans will add enough revenue to support a higher payroll? ie that there will be enough new demand so that overall attendance, ticket prices, concession prices and TV revenue will all increase? And accordingly that the sabres will be able to afford a payroll in the $38 million - $40 million range?

That would be a pretty risky strategy. The Sabres' attendance was pretty GD strong in the 2nd half of the season -- not much room to grow there. Raising ticket and concession prices enough to make an extra $3 million (after one good season in the last 4) would probably turn people off and hurt demand.

I want to keep McKee too. Your description of him as a "heart and soul" player is perfect. He's a rock. We need guys like him. Losing him will really hurt, both on the ice and emotionally. But the numbers don't lie. We can't keep McKee if it means losing Briere, Tallinder, Miller, etc. We can only afford what we can afford.

I get no pleasure out of bearing bad news. I just don't want the real fans here to turn against the team for making what I think is a correct albeit difficult decision.

A lot has changed: expectations. And this fact has to change the way the Sabres do business. Most core fans, represented pretty well on this board, are going to be there no matter what and accept all too readily the Sabres' representation of the economics of the situation. Sadly, most will not have a problem with a heart and soul player like Jay McKee leaving. They'll write their posts and buy their tickets and be one of 14,224 for that home game in November against Atlanta. But out in the real world are those tens of thousands of people who suddenly fell in love with this team in May. They represent a new generation of fans, this franchise's opportunity to finally pull itself out of the financial Catch 22 they are constantly in, to become a viable franchise for the future. If those people are brought into the fold, this can be a true hockey region. They are waiting and watching to see if the Sabres make themselves better and make a run at it. They don't see shades of green like we do. They see a multibillionaire owner and the prospect of losing good players for relatively small amounts of money. If it happens, it will turn them off. It makes sense in our little bizarro world, but not theirs. On Sunday, the Buffalo News sports page had three letters to the editor with all basically the same theme: Either accusing Tom Golisano of being too cheap, or wondering if he is too cheap, to go for a Stanley Cup next season. Perception is reality.

The Sabres are at a crossroads. If it's back to business as usual, back to 2002 and 2003 again, well, shame on the Sabres. The people have had a taste of success, and they like it. But if the Sabres find a way to actually get better, and make it clear to the fans that's what they're interested in, not just the bottom line, they have a chance to turn the tide here. You wonder if Golisano might secretly be cursing The Plan. It actually worked. It created a monster. The perfect storm. Now what the hell is this going to cost me? Is that why he looked down at the ice with The Muckler Look from Game 7 against Ottawa after we won in overtime? Does that explain his "bring back most of the team" and "with a little more luck" letter to the public? As a letter writer pointed out, luck plays no part in this. You make your own luck, Tom, and here's your chance. For a hockey franchise, it's an opportunity that doesn't come along more than once in a generation.

Damn, nfreeman - you beat me to the punch.

My point is that the expectations door swings both ways -- should Sabres management expect fans to pony up for higher ticket prices, concessions and merchandise? Really, if fans are going to expect and demand TG to open his wallet for increased player salaries, then the fans should expect to pay more at the gate to watch this team play. After all, we don't have the kind of corporate $$ coming in that the NY Rangers, Flyers, etc., can count on, and the NHL's stellar national TV contract isn't pumping a ton of money into the franchise (not to MLB, NBA or NFL standards) so how much should we reasonably expect to come straight out of TG's pocket?

I don't want to see Jay leave either, but given the choice between keeping Jay now and losing Tallinder, Briere, etc, down the road, or losing Jay now, keeping the salary structure intact, and keeping as much of our long-term core together as and the rest of the young D corps mature and develop, well then I say "thanks for the memories, Jay" and watch Paetsch, Janik et al develop & mature over the next couple seasons..

There's so much wrong with this assessment that it's difficult to address it all.

First, to fall in line with this thinking, you have to accept that all contract decisions are being based on finaces alone; that no hockey decisions are being made here. The reality is that the Sabres strategy is to build a system that uses similar, interchangeable players. The goal is to roll four lines and play six defensemen. That strategy is reflected in their salary structure.

Unlike teams that build around one or two lines (Flyers, Rangers, Red Wings, Leafs, and Avs), the Sabres avoid the consequences of paying a player big money. The general thinking among management and players is that the more you are paid, the more ice time you get. It's hard to roll four lines when a guy like Sundin or Forseberg is being double-shifted in every crucial situation during the season. It's difficult to get a guy like Campbell ice time when Zhitnik is playing 30 minutes a game. The Sabres broke out of that mold this year with excellent results.

Second, what undercuts this argument most for me is that the same thing could have been said last season when the team let Satan and Zhitnik walk. When it became evident that the Sabres were not going to replace them in FA, who was predicting that the team would have a top 5 power play this season? Not me. Instead fans were busy making the case that Golisano was cheap (myself included). The perception was the Sabres were going to be lousy this year because of their cheap management style. Was this the reality? And yet, fans continue to make this wrong-headed argument.

Third, the crossroads for this team happened last season, when the CBA and the rules changes validated the direction Regier and Ruff had taken 4 or 5 years prior. They decided to build a fast skating club, and filled their system with players who fit that system. When the league changed and re-emphasized the rules, the Sabres turn-around was complete.

Honestly, I like McKee, but do you really believe that the team will no longer play with heart and determination if he leaves? Do you believe that the defense will crumble without a 2nd line defensemen who didn't play on the power play? Do you believe the excellent development work the coaching staff did with four rookies will end?

The Sabres have the perfect philosophy for the new NHL. They continue to beat teams who pay for big names like Forseberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, and Jagr, with guys like Pominville and Roy.

Honestly, I'd rather see the Sabres let a guy go than pay him outside the salary structure. I don't want to see them adopt the team-building philosophy of the Leafs, Flyers, and Rangers.

I can't beleive what I am reading in this post about McKee. The salary argument aside, Jay McKee is a core part of this team in every aspect. He is our only true defense defensemen on the team besides Teppo, and I am not holding my breath on Teppo returning or continuing to be as effective as he was last year.

McKee's claim to fame is blocked shots, but that is only one aspect of his game. He makes very few mistakes with the puck and is his play is spectalur along the boards and behind the net. He also is clutch on the penalty kill and would probably have seen some more PP time if Ruff didn't use the 4 forwards so much. The big thing a like about McKee is that he is so solid and you never have to worry about him in his own end. I don't think you could say that about anyone else on the blue line.

Also, if McKee goes who is going to step in to fill his shoes? The sabres are going to need to trade to fill the spot in, or else it is going to be another developmental year for our blueline. Are they going to take a chance and try to sign someone else to save an undetermined amount of money?

As far as the business side goes, the sabres will never pay him 3-5 million a year to stay. But will they go to 2.25-2.5MM? I think so. Jay McKee sells a lot of jerseys and is a great face for the organization (along with Chris Drury and to a lesser extent Briere). McKee has spent his whole professional career in Buffalo, if anyone is going to re-sign in this situtation it is him. I'm hoping that his comments lately on FA is only to try to squeeze some extra $ out of the contract.

Its not like he is asking for 5 mil+, We are talking 2-3 million which is pretty low to slightly below average for a veteran defencemen who wears the A on his jersey and is a core part of a team. The team is showing the league and the rest of its players that we only want you if you play cheap, and when it comes time for a big raise (that you deserve) you are gone. How is this team going to keep chemistry year to year when its core players who step it up get shown the door once its time for a raise. How long til Briere doesn't fit our salary structure, or Pomminstein, or Roy? The may get lucky again and hit it big next year with another group of rookies stepping up, but that isn't always going to be the case.

This team was so close to winning it all last year, and instead of building on that success, they would rather make sure they collect revenue sharing next year.

It is going to take more then just one great year for me tostart throwing praise at Darcy Regier and to believe that you can lose some core players and replace them with some rookies and still be successful. But as the way I see it right now, this team is taking a couple steps back when it it was already at the top.

Its not like he is asking for 5 mil+, We are talking 2-3 million which is pretty low to slightly below average for a veteran defencemen who wears the A on his jersey and is a core part of a team.

What is the source for these numbers? I'm assuming it's the same as my source for my assertions about what he wants & what we're willing to pay -- ie pure speculation.

I don't think any of the "don't blow the budget" posters would object to keeping him at $2 million per year, or even $2.5 million. It's when we get to $3+ million, for 4 years, that it gets too rich. I am guessing that the Sabres are willing to go to about $2.5 million per year for 3 years (I think Darcy was quoted as saying we offered him a 3-year deal), but that McKee thinks he can get more per year and a longer deal. I think he's right and that someone is going to offer him $13 million or so for 4 years.

Bottom line is that it's impossible to judge whether the Sabres are making the right decision until we get some facts.

I'd also be curious to hear whether you, PAFan and the other "don't be cheapskates" posters think we should re-sign McKee if the price is $13 million for 4 years and if overall payroll goes up to $38 - $40 million due to ripple effects on other contracts.

How do you know that we're only talking 2-3 million for McKee? There are several teams out there that will make a bid for him, and many don't have a #1 defenseman on their rosters.

McKee will probably get an offer for $3.5 - $4 million. And if your #3 defenseman is worth $3.5 million/year, what do you pay Tallinder? And what do you pay Briere and Miller?

As much as McKee adds to the team, and as much as we all like him, he's not the Sabres #1 defenseman. If they pay him like the #1, they immediately raise the asking price of several other players on the team. We're not only talking an extra million for McKee, we're talking several million dollars scattered throughout the rest of the team.

And have a little faith in Regier and Ruff. Last September most were mocking his pickups of Lydman and Numminem. Most thought he was dooming the Sabres to the league basement by letting Satan and Zhitnik go.

Regier has done a materful job of finding players that fit the Sabres style of play. He'll continue to do the same if McKee leaves.

Its not like he is asking for 5 mil+, We are talking 2-3 million which is pretty low to slightly below average for a veteran defencemen who wears the A on his jersey and is a core part of a team. The team is showing the league and the rest of its players that we only want you if you play cheap, and when it comes time for a big raise (that you deserve) you are gone. How is this team going to keep chemistry year to year when its core players who step it up get shown the door once its time for a raise. How long til Briere doesn't fit our salary structure, or Pomminstein, or Roy? The may get lucky again and hit it big next year with another group of rookies stepping up, but that isn't always going to be the case.

This team was so close to winning it all last year, and instead of building on that success, they would rather make sure they collect revenue sharing next year.

It is going to take more then just one great year for me tostart throwing praise at Darcy Regier and to believe that you can lose some core players and replace them with some rookies and still be successful. But as the way I see it right now, this team is taking a couple steps back when it it was already at the top.

Archived