Sabres take Pearson with 1st round pick

elcrusho

From tsn.ca:

Dennis Persson, D, Vasteras Jr.

Born: 6/2/88 Ht: 6-1 Wt: 181 Shoots: L

From NHL Central Scouting - See the ice very well...finds his forwards with long first passes...good overall skill level...can carry the puck out of danger...a mature, solid player with good overall attitude...a good team player who works hard.

From ISS: Persson is a good skater with good offensive instincts. Has a very heavy, low point shot that he generally keeps on net, causing lots of rebounds and making him a valuable PP triggerman. He kept things simple and controlled the play but still lacked some of that fire that we like to see. He still has to become more physical but the ability is there and as such, a high pick but a slow road for this talented Swede.

They loosely compared him to Brian Campbell on the draft coverage. They said he is not a big defenseman by any means but he should do very well in the "new" NHL.

It always amazes me how young some of these draft picks look. They really are just big kids at this point.

Pity the Foligno kid went to Ottawa. Hate to root against local kids, especially ones who are kids of ex-Sabres.

PTR

By the time he actually plays in the NHL--if ever (he's got to control that temper and develop some skeelz)--maybe he'll a different team. Would be cool if it were the Sabs, but also cool if not. Mike has to be proud.

I've got a little info on one of our later draft picks, so I might as well post it.

A friend of mine who writes for a college hockey magazine out here in Boston (Brian Sullivan, Hockey Magazine East) wrote this about 5th round pick Alex Biega:

Alex Biega-104-Harvard

5'10 191lbs defense 4/4/88

Salisbury Prep, USHSE 10-17=27 51 PIM 28 GP

Biega was a big name on the recruiting front as the New England Prep School Player of the Year, as named by Hockey Night in Boston. The manner in which the former Quebec U-17 d-man is described by his new head coach Ted Donato might lead you to misplace him on the roster sheet: a ?dynamic skater?, a ?high-end offensive guy with very good speed? and a strong puck-handler sound like qualities fit for an all-star wing, not a starting blueliner. Donato isn?t worried about Biega?s defense being sacrificed at the hands of his offense, either. ?He?s solid defensively,? said the long-time Boston Bruins winger. ?Like a lot of young players, he needs to learn to simplify his game, but he?s an extremely good all-around player.? Referring to the 18-year-old as a ?momentum-changer?, Biega led Salisbury Prep his senior year with a +45 rating and averaged nearly a point per game. Heavily scouted from every corner of the hockey world, Biega was also drafted by USHL and QMJHL teams despite expressing a strong inclination to play college hockey. Harvard was the final winner, after weeding out the likes of BU, BC, UVM, Maine, Cornell, and UNH to name a few.

did anyone listen to the interview with Persson on GR55? he didn't sound excited at all, and like he was just going back to Sweden and play there because there's "good hockey in Sweden"... granted, Darcy said they'll stay in Sweden, but this kid didn't seem to care that he was drafted. Like it was a waste of his time to talk to the radio guy. that bothered me.

on the other hand the Weber kid was extremely excited to be drafted and said good things about Buffalo, he gave all the responses that you want to hear.

I know none of this matters in the long run, but things like this bother me and excite me. I'm strange.... :)

And when Dmitri Kalinin was drafted in the first round, that's probably what he sounded like, because that's his personality. Andrew Peters, drafted in the second the same year, was sucking a lollipop, wearing an adult diaper, and giving everyone noogies. And the point is?

And when Dmitri Kalinin was drafted in the first round, that's probably what he sounded like, because that's his personality. Andrew Peters, drafted in the second the same year, was sucking a lollipop, wearing an adult diaper, and giving everyone noogies. And the point is?

There's also the chance that the guy doesn't have the greatest command over the English language. If he didn't care about the draft, he wouldn't have been in Vancouver.

maybe he was at the draft hoping Detroit or Philly would draft him. From the outside looking in, Buffalo gets such a bad rap as a city. It seems to be the butt of jokes in the US quite a bit. However, I hear a lot of the players wind up settling in Buffalo after their careers so it must be okay there.

Perhaps he'll talk to Tallinder and hear some positive things.

I visited Buffalo once. I didn't mind it. It's a much different world than where I live. Even Toronto was very different. In Buffalo, your slum and crime areas are much worse than places like Regina and Calgary. It's quite dirty too. But, I didn't mind it, the nice areas are very nice. I guess it's an american thing, the difference in the classes is boldly defined. Out here, everything is so clean and new. Heck, the province of Saskatchewan just turned 100 last year.

You know what though, ask someone to move out here and they'd laugh louder than if you'd asked them to move to Buffalo. People don't know what they're missing in your city or mine 'til they live there a few years.

did anyone listen to the interview with Persson on GR55? he didn't sound excited at all, and like he was just going back to Sweden and play there because there's "good hockey in Sweden"... granted, Darcy said they'll stay in Sweden, but this kid didn't seem to care that he was drafted. Like it was a waste of his time to talk to the radio guy. that bothered me.

on the other hand the Weber kid was extremely excited to be drafted and said good things about Buffalo, he gave all the responses that you want to hear.

I know none of this matters in the long run, but things like this bother me and excite me. I'm strange.... :)

I didn't hear it, but generally speaking, most Swedes are rather reserved. He could be delighted and still show very little inflection in his voice - esp. speaking a second language.

I'm surprised you aren't already on the phone with them!

Svenhead is doing well.

I just listened to the interview at WGR - the kid is struggling a little with a second language

and is just trying not to screw up. I wouldn't worry too much. Most reports say the kid has a very

good attitude. For a kid from Sweden - Buffalo is probably just a dot on the map like most American cities.

Archived