Let's devote this to who is coming to Buffalo!

inkman

Goalies really suck. When your best goalie is named Jussi, you know your in trouble. Here is a look at the Oilers roster. Who do you think is coming?

5 Alexei Semenov D

10 Shawn Horcoff C

13 Todd Harvey RW

14 Raffi Torres LW

16 Jarret Stoll C

18 Ethan Moreau LW

19 Marty Reasoner C

20 Radek Dvorak RW

21 Jason Smith D

22 Jani Rita LW

23 Cory Cross D

24 Steve Staios D

25 J.J. Hunter RW

26 Brad Winchester LW

27 Georges Laraque RW

34 Fernando Pisani RW

37 Michael Peca C

44 Chris Pronger D

47 Marc-Andre Bergeron D

55 Igor Ulanov D

83 Ales Hemsky RW

94 Ryan Smyth LW

Reasoner and Semenov for Biron and Jillson? :unsure:

Other than being a local kid (kind of), what is the fascination with Reasoner? They have too many centers as it is with Roy pounding on the door to get called up.

Semenov I don't know much about other than he is a big guy who TSN says can be a top 4 defenseman but needs to improve his coordination and can get lazy. Is he mobile enough for the new NHL? Maybe he's the next Chara at that size, maybe not, I wouldn't mind finding out I guess. But Reasoner makes no sense.

Not to mention that in the trade you suggest, Biron and Jillson literally make twice as much as Reasoner and Semenov ... I know Edmonton needs a goalie, but they are small market too and not sure they can take on that much cash. I know Jillson makes much less in the minors but Biron still makes $2.1 mil to the Oilers guys 1.4 mil combined ...

Peca for Pyatt and Connolly? :blink:

That would be HILARIOUS ... if the Sabres thow in Biron they could even afford the $4 million ...

I know it is impossible, but imagine what would happen ... would DeLuca's head explode? He wouldn't know what to do with himself ... If Regier somehow righted that wrong, would he be back in the good graces? I mean, if you can call throwing in a former #1 goalie and ruining the last 3 seasons righting the wrong ... I think even Deluca would be speechless.

Sure the Edmonton fans would probably tear down the building and put Kevin Lowe's head on a stick, but still ...

No, most Oiler fans want Peca out of Edmonton. He's half the player most Sabre fans think of him as. He's overpaid and hasn't contributed offensively in almost 3 years.

I'd love Semenov, but realistically if we move Biron (an average goalie, making over $2 million, hasn't played a meaningful game in 18 months, 1 year until unrestricted free agency) the best we can expect would be a 3rd rounder.

Other than being a local kid (kind of), what is the fascination with Reasoner? They have too many centers as it is with Roy pounding on the door to get called up.

Semenov I don't know much about other than he is a big guy who TSN says can be a top 4 defenseman but needs to improve his coordination and can get lazy. Is he mobile enough for the new NHL? Maybe he's the next Chara at that size, maybe not, I wouldn't mind finding out I guess. But Reasoner makes no sense.

Not to mention that in the trade you suggest, Biron and Jillson literally make twice as much as Reasoner and Semenov ... I know Edmonton needs a goalie, but they are small market too and not sure they can take on that much cash. I know Jillson makes much less in the minors but Biron still makes $2.1 mil to the Oilers guys 1.4 mil combined ...

I don't have a fascination with reasoner but he fits the mold that Darcy acquires. If we are looking salary for salary, how bout Biron & Drury for Peca and Semenov. :huh:

No, most Oiler fans want Peca out of Edmonton. He's half the player most Sabre fans think of him as. He's overpaid and hasn't contributed offensively in almost 3 years.

I'd love Semenov, but realistically if we move Biron (an average goalie, making over $2 million, hasn't played a meaningful game in 18 months, 1 year until unrestricted free agency) the best we can expect would be a 3rd rounder.

Most likely. :)

I like his dad Harry on 60 Minutes :P

I don't know anything about any of the Oilers' defensemen, but I do know this:

1. we need a defenseman, preferably top 4 quality but I'll take top 6. Lydman is hurt, meaning Campbell, whom I believe does not belong in the NHL, is in the regular rotation. Even if Lydman makes it back soon, we need another competent defenseman for depth, because McKee gets hurt every year, Numminen is 37, etc.

2. Peca has been overrated for a while and is not worth $2 million per year, let alone $4 million. For the record, he wasn't worth it when he held out from the Sabres, and he certainly isn't worth it now. Check this out: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2205489

Peca benefitted from a ton of hype when Dominik took us deep into the playoffs for a few years in a row, simply because he was our best player other than Dom. But he's always been a decent-to-good player, nothing more. He is fast and scrappy (and quite a few of those "scrappy" plays crossed the line into dirty plays, IMHO), but undersized and very average offensively.

And don't kid yourself about leadership -- the year after we got hosed in the finals, he had an atrocious season and dragged the entire team into the can. Then of course he held out for Dominik's last year, ie his team's (he was the captain, remember?) last chance to make a run in the playoffs.

Frankly, for all the complaining about the Peca trade, I'd rather have Connelly, right now, than Peca. Connelly is having a fine start to the season. The new rules favor his game much more than Peca's and if he continues to play hard he could become a really good player. He is playing a lot, including on the penalty kill and at the end of games, he is a good skater and has great hands and touch.

Pyatt may never turn into anything (and that is looking quite possible but still far from decided), but that is how it goes with prospects -- you try to grab a bunch of them because some turn out and some don't.

3. Darcy is not going to trade for an decent forward -- we have plenty of them. He knows we need a defenseman. Bottom line is whether a team will be desperate enough for goaltending to roll the dice on trading a legit NHL defenseman for Marty and/or Mika, neither of whom has shown that he can carry the mail for a team shooting for the playoffs. If we get a defenseman as good as Lydman, Warrener, Tallinder or Kalinin for either of those goalies, that's a great move for us.

4. I found it pretty GD satisfying to beat the Islanders like that. They think they can just open their wallets, take our more expensive players and cruise into the playoffs? Take a hike. There's a reason we didn't want Peca and Miro at the numbers they were asking.

Go Sabres.

I agree. PECA hasn't been doing much. The OIL is frustrated with him.

I'd like Steve Staois.

He leads the Oilers with a +8 and is a RH shot, so he could slide in next to Kalinin or McKee very nicely.

true... he'd be very good for us... as long as we get an effective defenseman im happy... we don't really need any forwards right now... we must build on defense when we have the opportunity... and this is a big opportunity

I agree. PECA hasn't been doing much. The OIL is frustrated with him.

Peca and Drury have comparable stats (at roughly the same salary i think?)

With one goal and three assists in Edmonton's first 10 games, Peca is struggling, and it seems to have a lot to do with him trying to figure out what he is supposed to be, expected to b, and even capable of being in the relaunched NHL.

Reasonably, the Oilers looked at the new game and their $3.99-million investment in Peca this season and initially decided a center with a defensive bent was a luxury, especially because he was so good defensively because of skills that might be transformed into offensive weapons in the new league.

Drury: 4 pts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=1761

I don't get the whole thing about not wanting to trade Biron or Noronen to a Eastern Conference team. If they are so good that they will come back to haunt you after you trade them, maybe they should be getting more playing time as Sabres.

Time to #%^$#! or get off the pot Darcy!

I don't get the whole thing about not wanting to trade Biron or Noronen to a Eastern Conference team. If they are so good that they will come back to haunt you after you trade them, maybe they should be getting more playing time as Sabres.

exactly. Its such a BS excuse for failing to pull the trigger.

bit miller is the one deserving ice time here. not noronen or biron. i see his point, but its time to take action.

Regier isn't looking to move a goalie because he doesn't think that they aren't any good. He's looking to move one because he has too many.

There is an obvious difference there.

Plus, what are the odds that a team like say Atlanta is willing to part with an asset that will help the Sabres this year?

I think that is highly unlikely unless it's for a draft pick that the Sabres could eventually flip to another team for a player that could help.

But, I can understand why Regier would be hesitant to move a goalie to help out a team like Atlanta that does have the potential to compete with the Sabres for a playoff spot if they settle down their goaltending situation.

It's not like Atlanta is offering up Kovalchuk for Biron and the deal is a no-brainer.

I would be disappointed if the Sabres got only a draft pick in return, so maybe they need to package a draft pick or prospect with either Biron or Noronen and bring in another blue liner. I still believe this is the Sabres biggest weakness. When your top two reserves are Campbell and Jillson and the "defenseman cupboard" is bare in Rochester, you need another defensemen.

Archived