Let's devote this to who is coming to Buffalo!

inkman

I would be disappointed if the Sabres got only a draft pick in return, so maybe they need to package a draft pick or prospect with either Biron or Noronen and bring in another blue liner. I still believe this is the Sabres biggest weakness. When your top two reserves are Campbell and Jillson and the "defenseman cupboard" is bare in Rochester, you need another defensemen.

agreed.... were very thin all the way around in terms of defense... we need something... anything to help out on the blueline.

I would be disappointed if the Sabres got only a draft pick in return, so maybe they need to package a draft pick or prospect with either Biron or Noronen and bring in another blue liner. I still believe this is the Sabres biggest weakness. When your top two reserves are Campbell and Jillson and the "defenseman cupboard" is bare in Rochester, you need another defensemen.

The problem with trying to get a defenseman out of Atlanta is that they don't really have a guy that could step into the Sabres and make them better.

The only way I see the Sabres sending a goalie to Atlanta and getting a solid defenseman out of it would be to set up a 3-way deal with say Washington to land Witt here.

IF the Sabres wanted to upgrade their blueline, then Edmonton would appear to be the best fit. Which would blow the whole theory about not dealing with Atlanta merely because of the fact that they are an Eastern Conference club.

The problem with trying to get a defenseman out of Atlanta is that they don't really have a guy that could step into the Sabres and make them better.

The only way I see the Sabres sending a goalie to Atlanta and getting a solid defenseman out of it would be to set up a 3-way deal with say Washington to land Witt here.

IF the Sabres wanted to upgrade their blueline, then Edmonton would appear to be the best fit. Which would blow the whole theory about not dealing with Atlanta merely because of the fact that they are an Eastern Conference club.

It would be nice to pick up Witt, I thought for sure we were going to pick him up at the deadline last season. Hasn't he implied that he doesn't want to play in Buffalo?

In the kind of interesting and kind of related to this thread department, Mark Brender wasted a page in THN discussing this very issue (is Darcy not trading w/ Atlanta because they are in conference, or because they haven't offered a good deal). Unfortunately, while he played up the fact that Don Waddell thinks Darcy won't trade because the 2 are in the same conference, he never addressed what Waddell would be willing to give up for Marty or Mika. Considering Brender's columns usually are about as useful as Jerry Sullivan's, my guess is that Waddell isn't offering the Sabres anything of value yet.

Personally, I don't think anything more than a 2nd round pick has been offered YET for either goalie from any potential trading partner. Maybe if Shields falls flat, Waddell will increase his offer. IF all that has been offered is a 2nd rounder, I'd hold onto the goalies for now. I MIGHT send one out west for that (it is afterall all that SJ got for Kiprusoff) but I would not give one to a desperate Atlanta team for that.

It would be nice to pick up Witt, I thought for sure we were going to pick him up at the deadline last season.  Hasn't he implied that he doesn't want to play in Buffalo?

For the life of me, I can't remember who said it, but I remember a former Sabre was quoted as saying "I cried the day I found out I was traded TO Buffalo, but then after being there, I cried when I found out I was traded FROM Buffalo."

If anybody remembers who said it, could they please post his name.

I was reminded of the quote because of your query regarding Witt.

I don't care if he has or hasn't stated that he doesn't want to be in Buffalo. He is a professional and a good hockey player. If somehow the Sabres were to land him, he'd be an upgrade to the D. I'd be interested to see what the Sabres would have to give up to land him.

Archived