Explain this to me

PromoTheRobot

(05/31/06 -- RALEIGH) - It's the biggest hockey game of the season, so why are seats still available at the RBC Center?

The Carolina Hurricanes face the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday for a shot at the Stanley Cup.

Fans are shelling out hundreds of dollars to watch the biggest game of the NHL season, but they are not all Carolina fans.

So, why aren't the seats at the RBC Center full of red shirts? Some say it's just too expensive, with the cheapest seat costing $70.

Despite a price increase due to the playoffs, 'Canes tickets are still the cheapest in the NHL.

"We encourage people to come out because I'd rather see those tickets sold to Hurricanes fans than to see them sold to Buffalo fans who come down and make a lot of noise," said RBC Center general manager David Olsen.

Officials say plenty of seats are still available.

So let me get this straight...$70 hockey tickets are too expensive for fans living in the prosperous Research Triangle, yet $100 and $200 tickets sell out in 12 minutes in economically-depressed Buffalo?

David, the problem ain't the prices...it's the fact you don't have any real fans.

PTR

There is no explanation for this. There is no excuse. What if the hockey gods get caught napping and the Canes win this series? What is going to happen next round when the ticket prices go up again, and Edmonton is a couple of thousand miles away?

The new NHL: Empty seats in the Cup final. What a freakin' disgrace!

There is no explanation for this. There is no excuse. What if the hockey gods get caught napping and the Canes win this series? What is going to happen next round when the ticket prices go up again, and Edmonton is a couple of thousand miles away?

The new NHL: Empty seats in the Cup final. What a freakin' disgrace!

Tell me about it, were about 24 hours away from game 7... and on ticketmaster, you can still get 8 tickets in a ROW <_< like WTF??? and they have the balls to call them self the best fans in the league.

Fans in Carolina = One big joke.

Tell me about it, were about 24 hours away from game 7... and on ticketmaster, you can still get 8 tickets in a ROW <_< like WTF??? and they have the balls to call them self the best fans in the league.

Fans in Carolina = One big joke.

like I said before ONLy way this game sells out is with 8000 sabres fans man the joint will be rocking. I was amazed folks from Gowanda, Fredonia, Dunkirk, Amherst, Niagara Falls and even Toronto drove down to see games 1 and 5. Too bad this game is thurs night wonder how many buses from Buffalo Area will make it down and how many folks will drive the 10 - 12 hours for game 7???

Cary, North Carolina where the RBC Center is located. The town's reputation as a bedroom community for transplants from outside the South has led to humorous backronyms for its name such as "Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees" or "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees." I am amazed they can't sell out a game seven with a trip to the Stanley Cup finals. I get the smart educated folks in Raleigh have better things to do on a Thursday night.

They don't deserve to win. Lame fan base. I've had to watch the DMF's from Tampa Bay host the Stanley Cup before my Sabres. If the Canes win the cup, I'll have poke my eyes out.

Cary, North Carolina where the RBC Center is located. The town's reputation as a bedroom community for transplants from outside the South has led to humorous backronyms for its name such as "Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees" or "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees." I am amazed they can't sell out a game seven with a trip to the Stanley Cup finals. I get the smart educated folks in Raleigh have better things to do on a Thursday night.

They don't deserve to win. Lame fan base. I've had to watch the DMF's from Tampa Bay host the Stanley Cup before my Sabres. If the Canes win the cup, I'll have poke my eyes out.

Poke your eyes out if you must.

But before you do, have a look at a map....all that you said about the town is right except for the fact that the RBC Center is located in Raleigh, not Cary.

The Goat

I live out in Colorado and when the Sabres when game 7, I'll be thinking about trying to get tickets for the cup and fly out there and fly out the next day due to work and school. And I might suprise my dad with the same thing (he was born and raised in Buffalo). The trip would cost around a grand. and they don't want to pay 70 freakin dollars with a trip to the cup on the line. So sad

I'm a big Sabres fans (hold the stones please), BUT to be fair I have to point out the $70 seats referred to are in the noise bleeds (rafters). That type near center are $90, and the good seats are in the $175 to $250 range. So there's not a TON of cheap seats out there. Also, despite all the talk about how Raleigh is supposed to be so prosperous, I spent a couple weeks there 2 yrs ago and it didn't seem all that ritzy to me. In fact, lots of the older parts of town near their downtown area reminded me of areas N of downtown Buffalo. It's also got it's fair share of bland somewhat unkempt subdivisions.

Also, I was amazed at how small the city really was. After all I'd heard about all the growth, I was expecting a big city - NOT. All the talk by Buffalo fans along the lines of "you're so prosperous and you can't afford tickets?" sounds sort of like chip on shoulder talk - it makes it sound like your saying that even us poor fans in poor depressed Buffalo can afford tickets. Folks, Buffalo's economy and avg per capita income is not that different than Raleighs.

All that being said, it still is a shame they can't sell the place out. Not because their supposedly so properous. But simply because it's game 7 and it's time to show for your team.

SABRES in SEVEN!

Folks, Buffalo's economy and avg per capita income is not that different than Raleighs.

-Update - I looked it up and for 2003 - per capita income in Raleigh, Cary area was $33,627 and in Buffalo, Niagara Falls area was $29,844. They're not all rich down there...

Yeah, it sucks, no doubt about it. I'm a season ticket holder and a serious fan. I bought 4 extra on top of my 2 for the entire playoffs and have been selling them to friends to get them interested. I have managed to get some interested enough that they are buying season tickets next year.

We are still a new market but it is growing and our core fan base are true Caniacs and are very passionate about this team. It's kind of exciting in a way to be part of the development of this market. There are a lot of kids that attend games and the team is giving great memories that will last a lifetime. These kids will be adults one day and foster a whole new larger generation of fans. There is no doubt this area is growing and will some day have absolutely no difficulties selling out for the playoffs. In the meantime, I enjoy that I'm easily able to get great tickets at a reasonable price.

As far as Caniacs not deserving a Cup, people like me would strongly disagree, besides, it's the players on the ice that really deserve the Cup, the fans are just along for the ride. I actually enjoy Sabres fans at the games (except for the violent ones), it gave us someone to trash talk to after games 2 and 5 (and game 7) :)

Can't wait for tomorrow's err...tonight's game...should be a blast!!!

I'm a big Sabres fans (hold the stones please), BUT to be fair I have to point out the $70 seats referred to are in the noise bleeds (rafters). That type near center are $90, and the good seats are in the $175 to $250 range. So there's not a TON of cheap seats out there.

And Buffalo's cheap Nose Bleed seats are $100 a ticket, with the most expensive reaching about $200-250. THose tickets sold out in about 12 minutes. There is no excuse to not have the arena sold out for a GAME & OF THE ECF! Ticket prices will go up for the Stanel Cup Finals, Is the stadium going to be half full for that? If it was only individual tickets remaining in some sections, I could agree with you, but its game day and blocks of tickets can still be purchased. If people were passionate about the team, they wouldn't be worried about the other teams fans filling their arena for them cause they would have been bought by their own fans

We had to hear the B.S. from a poster that the people from Carolina aren't red necks and that they have PHD's and how its got the big research triangle yet now they are saying they don't make much more the the people in Buffalo who they look down on for being a city with a failing economy?

I have said it all along, there are very, very few true Carolina Hurricane hockey fans down here. Most of the "Caniacs" are fans who moved here from another city and grew up being fans of Boston, Philly, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Chicago etc. ( I personally know examples of "Caniacs" from each of the cities that I have mentioned). F the Canes and their so called fans. They will never understand what being a true fan is all about.

I have said it all along, there are very, very few true Carolina Hurricane hockey fans down here. Most of the "Caniacs" are fans who moved here from another city and grew up being fans of Boston, Philly, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Chicago etc. ( I personally know examples of "Caniacs" from each of the cities that I have mentioned). F the Canes and their so called fans. They will never understand what being a true fan is all about.

But I thought they had "The Best Fans in The League" and "The Loudest Arena"? Isn't that what they project on the ice and on the score board during a game? I guess they didn't have the space for the words "Self-proclaimed" between "The" & "Best" and "in the Raliegh area" had to be shortened to "League"

Archived