Figthing Words

kingcongkorab

Agreed. I have no problem with loyal Sabres fans spending their dough to support their team. On the contrary, I think it's great.

The problem is not with Canes fans, it's with ownership and management who have priced themselves out of the market here.

The Canes have marketed themselves as entertainment for the family. At current prices ($85.00 for upper level seating I believe) it would cost a family of four about $400 to go to a game by the time drinks and food are bought.

I wonder what it says about their commitment to this established fan base when they more than triple ticket prices for the playoffs.

The Goat

'Canes fans got nobody to blame but themselves... It is like marrying your best friend's wife that was two-timing on him to get to you... Now she is two-timing on you and you are complaining? Get real, you know what you were getting into with this management!

Yes, there were probs in Buffalo under the old ownership... But, the team stayed there and worked it out... Sez a lot doesn't it...

Now 'Canes management has been seen in other cities' airports (thanks Beerme, I like that line... :D :D )... And you are blaming management...

You got nobody to blame but yourself... You knew what a they were...

Earth to Goat... They don't give a flyin' phuck at a rolling donut what the established fan base thinks... are you gonna cry when "she" leaves? Pony up the dough and say "Honey please comeback."

"She" had you over a barrel, the best you could do was support your team and buy the tickets THEN GROW A SET and let "her" hear it...

Pick your battles... Seemed that the "dirty " ('Canes management) got what she wanted?

Now you guys are gonna turn tail and say "comeback sweety" IF the 'Canes make finals... Get real!!

'Canes fans got nobody to blame but themselves... It is like marrying your best friend's wife that was two-timing on him to get to you... Now she is two-timing on you and you are complaining? Get real, you know what you were getting into with this management!

Yes, there were probs in Buffalo under the old ownership... But, the team stayed there and worked it out... Sez a lot doesn't it...

Now 'Canes management has been seen in other cities' airports (thanks Beerme, I like that line... :D :D )... And you are blaming management...

You got nobody to blame but yourself... You knew what a they were...

Earth to Goat... They don't give a flyin' phuck at a rolling donut what the established fan base thinks... are you gonna cry when "she" leaves? Pony up the dough and say "Honey please comeback."

"She" had you over a barrel, the best you could do was support your team and buy the tickets THEN GROW A SET and let "her" hear it...

Pick your battles... Seemed that the "dirty " ('Canes management) got what she wanted?

Now you guys are gonna turn tail and say "comeback sweety" IF the 'Canes make finals... Get real!!

I have no idea what any of this drivel means.

Are you saying your wife cheated on you?

The Goat

His response:

All:

There isn?t a fan base I respect more than Buffalo?s. As a paper we get more e-mail from Buffalo fans concerning hockey than any other fan base. Part of that is the large number of Buffalo fans in our area, the other part is your passion for your team, regardless of location.

As for Monday?s ?Slapshots? column ? and it?s an opinion column, not a news story ? my point is that every fan base has its own issues. It?s hypocritical for some Buffalo fans, I pretty clearly point out it was some not all, to criticize Carolina fans for not buying tickets.

Given the comparatively exorbitant prices (note the increase from the regular season) Raleigh fans should be commended for taking a stand against ownership, not chastised by their brothers in fandom. Actually, by not selling out, it did Buffalo fans a favor because it allowed a significant number of you to make the trip to Raleigh.

That was my point, I even used Fred Smerlas reference to appease my Buffalo readers.

There were a lot of arrows slung our way in the week leading up to Game 1, the cheap-shot cliche-filled Bucky Gleason column foremost among them. This, from the best I can tell, is the first return volley from the North Carolina media and it didn?t include any civic insults.

As a final note, I have all my teeth, I have never been to a NASCAR race nor I have ever watched one on TV, and my wife is not a blood relative.

Enjoy Games 3 and 4 and probably 6. This series is just getting started.

And my e-mail is jgiglio@newsobserver.com, which is posted at the end of each article and will be posted on future ?Slapshots? columns.

- Joe Giglio

Carolina. LOL.

Remember when the Leafs played Carolina a few years back, and a reporter asked Mogilny what he thought of having a few days off in Carolina.

Mogilny dryly said something like, "Raleigh is great. They've got a real nice freeway here."

Classic Almo.

That was printed in a legit newspaper? How unprofessional! It just makes them sound like the poor sports that they are.

The fact is -- a team with a tremendous amount of heart has nothing to do with the ownership going bankrupt. Their press is grasping at straws with this argument, if you can call it that.

Also, I find it hilarious how Saturday's telecast mentioned that Brett Hull said he's never been in a louder building than in 2002 playing in Carolina. That's all well & good but let's remember they probably have the smallest arena in the NHL.

This article is also fightin words.

Retard

I'm sure alot have already seen it. But, obviously, he sounds like he's bitter that he's been "relegated" to having to write about a sport that he doesn't seem to like very much. Any sport or thing or life can be explained as simple terms like that. Well, I will stop ranting before I sound as crass and uneducated as that f**ktard.

Retard

I'm sure alot have already seen it. But, obviously, he sounds like he's bitter that he's been "relegated" to having to write about a sport that he doesn't seem to like very much. Any sport or thing or life can be explained as simple terms like that. Well, I will stop ranting before I sound as crass and uneducated as that f**ktard.

I thought about writing a response to that article, but I decided to go talk to a brick wall instead. The brick wall has a better chance of getting what I'm talking about.

Retard

Or just maybe, he gets a kick out of tweaking people. My guess is, that it will probably work, if that is his goal.

Be bigger than him and don't let him bother you.

Big game coming up tonight. I think Lindy will find a way to keep Janik and Rory in situations they can handle. I have no idea what the score will be, but do expect to see Buffalo win tonight.

Classy.

That's why I love you.

The Goat

You Canes fans are far too sensitive for the NHL. It's really a shame that the Hartford franchise was given to such an unworthy group of posers. Oh, and you're cheap too.

I just think there should be a little more truth in advertising:

Carolina needs to change "The best fans in the NHL" on the ice screen projector to:

"The most delicate fans in the NHL"

They should also pass out copies of the home town columnists column:

Hey Fans, it is a simple game.

You Canes fans are far too sensitive for the NHL. It's really a shame that the Hartford franchise was given to such an unworthy group of posers. Oh, and you're cheap too.

Too sensitive?

Between the unexplained defense of the economy and social state of western New York and the over-the-top reaction to Raleigh columnists I think you've got the market cornered on sensitivity.

A question, if these guys are so ignorant why get so emotional about it?

As to being cheap, well I have already explained the niche the Canes have carved in the community here and further explained that $75 for a ticket in the rafters is beyond the financial bounds of most moms and dads and their kids who make up the majority of season ticket holders.

The Goat

Too sensitive?

Between the unexplained defense of the economy and social state of western New York and the over-the-top reaction to Raleigh columnists I think you've got the market cornered on sensitivity.

As to being cheap, well I have already explained the niche the Canes have carved in the community here and further explained that $75 for a ticket in the rafters is beyond the financial bounds of most moms and dads and their kids who make up the majority of season ticket holders.

The Goat

Then that niche shouldn't be there at this level!

I take my son to the Chicago Wolves' games for that niche... He finally went to a 'Hawks game, that was tame because they were out of it, but I toatally see it getting out of the family market if the 'Hawks made the playoffs... There was still a buzz about the UC (United Center).

Why can't you guys see that you aren't doing it for management as much as you are doing it for the players.

It is just you guys got off to a sour mood because you pride yourself on having the place to yourself... It doesn't work that way when you give up seats in the cup semifinals to have a spat with management.

Don't start picking on us because your fans can't take the heat... You don't need to comeback with total nonsense jabs... That's cheap... You suck it up and move on... Know your limitations.

And ya... My drivel above was a pretty crazy rant... But, realize that your team's management are the same jeks that ditched Hartford...

Too sensitive?

The Goat

LOL :lol: . I think he had it right myself. But this was a cultural clash too.

Hockey is too much part of the landscape in the Northeast to gentrify it.

Which I think is the Carolina marketing angle.

Then that niche shouldn't be there at this level!

I take my son to the Chicago Wolves' games for that niche... He finally went to a 'Hawks game, that was tame because they were out of it, but I toatally see it getting out of the family market if the 'Hawks made the playoffs... There was still a buzz about the UC (United Center).

Why can't you guys see that you aren't doing it for management as much as you are doing it for the players.

It is just you guys got off to a sour mood because you pride yourself on having the place to yourself... It doesn't work that way when you give up seats in the cup semifinals to have a spat with management.

Don't start picking on us because your fans can't the heat... You don't need to comeback with total nonsense jabs... That's cheap... You suck it up and move on... Know your limitations.

And ya... My drivel above was a pretty crazy rant... But, realize that your team's management are the same jeks that ditched Hartford...

It's not a question of going to games for management or to support the players, it's about money. Some people just can't afford it, simple as that - further, I don't think that makes them cheap.

Many season ticket holders looked at the prices and said, "Nope, I can't afford it."

Also, I am not now attacking, nor have I previously attacked, Buffalo fans for buying tickets here. To the contrary, I say 'Good for you.' That 's dedication and if I didn't have to be here I'd be in Buffalo looking for scalpers.

Many of you seem to deny the fact that there is a dedicated fan base here, not as big as Buffalo's to be sure but knowledgable and passionate nonetheless. Underlying all of these attacks on Carolina's fans is this undercurrent that "We don't deserve a team."

Well sorry guys, we've got one, it's been about eight years now, perhaps you should accept it. And in the meantime, don't begrudge those of us here who love the game and support our team.

You guys should be a lot more concerned about your blue line than you are the fans in Raleigh.

The Goat

It's not a question of going to games for management or to support the players, it's about money. Some people just can't afford it, simple as that - further, I don't think that makes them cheap.

Many season ticket holders looked at the prices and said, "Nope, I can't afford it."

Also, I am not now attacking, nor have I previously attacked, Buffalo fans for buying tickets here. To the contrary, I say 'Good for you.' That 's dedication and if I didn't have to be here I'd be in Buffalo looking for scalpers.

Many of you seem to deny the fact that there is a dedicated fan base here, not as big as Buffalo's to be sure but knowledgable and passionate nonetheless. Underlying all of these attacks on Carolina's fans is this undercurrent that "We don't deserve a team."

Well sorry guys, we've got one, it's been about eight years now, perhaps you should accept it. And in the meantime, don't begrudge those of us here who love the game and support our team.

You guys should be a lot more concerned about your blue line than you are the fans in Raleigh.

The Goat

I am sorry... You don't deserve an NHL team... Maybe a minor league team... Playoff time is sellout time... Sellout time means paying 100-200 bucks a seat in the big leagues... That is the economy of the big dogs... You can float non-sellout crowds during the 40 or so home games.

Moving to Carolina was the wrong choice... Many other places (Canada) would fit the ecomomic model for the league... Niche to families is for the farm teams.

Sorry, it is just the way it is... They totally screwed up... You can't have empty seats during the playoff run.

100-200 bucks is not much to ask if you (the region) weren't undercutting other cities with corporate welfare.

Again, I am sorry... Just the truth... The Hurricanes have to keep pace with other cities. And from what I hear, RBC is a small arena... So, hence the price increase (less people, pay more money in the playoffs)... You ask why? Because they share the gate receipts during the palyoffs and split it amongst the players and others.

Playoff time is their "cash crop."

The Goat

Tell me what you think is true, because this is what I think:

The Carolina Hurricane's as a product have been marketed as entertainment for

upscale suburban folks in growing, upscale developmental communities, with good

schools, little crime, and little social unrest. It is the most white collar hockey environment

I have ever seen.

Bring in 4000 Buffalo fans that grew up in families that worked with machine presses,

farms, boiler rooms, and with blue collar values and pleasures, and there was bound to

be a little friction. Buffalo fans were not trying to ruin your atmosphere, we tried to

bring our own, and save for a few jackasses, we did. Loud and obnoxious. You bet.

That is not to say the Buffalo fans are blue collar, but seeing waves of Buffalonians

pour into your lots was a thrill for most of us. It was like a family reuinion and an irish wake- complete with the crazy uncles.

But hey, I have to say I talked with as many Carolina fans as I could. Pretty much the

message was the same with polite firmness: "We are honestly disappointed to see you people here."

We didn't trample all over southern hospitality - your fan base was already too angry to

offer any. Throw in a ton of Sabres fans that want to flip your building or at least

neutralize the home ice advantage - and well, the BBQ doesn't feel like family fun.

I have no regrets. I hope Carolina keeps their team. But honestly we have a different

calibration for success and safety. 5 Buffalonians arrested after 2 playoff hockey games

sounds to us like 1 bad apple out of every 1000 that attended, and a terrific security success.

I for one am just entertained by it all. People on message boards writing heartfelt apologies for

a game they didn't go to - NASCAR quips - (I am never going to joke about Nascar - to me it is just a sign of the Apocolypse) - and all the people that are so aghast by it all. This is fun.

And oh yes. If having Rory Fitzpatrick on the ice scares the bejesus out of me, you can imagine how I feel about him paired with Jillson.

Exactly X... I have never been to that area... Yet, it strikes me as very suburban... We have a suburban team here, I mentioned that they were the Chicago Wolves.

I see no problem with moving Carolina to a worthy Canadian city or other town that will support their team during a Cup run.

That isn't saying that 'Canes fans aren't knowledgable or not worthy of having a hockey team in their area... They can cheer just as loud and proud and be a "Caniac" for an AHL team or other minor league team.

There is a reason they are called Carolina... It is because they got to draw from a vast area.

Sellout during the playoffs and I got no problem... Then they can get onboard with the rest of the leagues.

Move them to Winnipeg... They'd sell out there... Heck, Quebec City would have their issues governmentally, but they would sell out...

Even my son asked why no team is in Manitoba?

schools, little crime, and little social unrest. It is the most white collar hockey environment

I have ever seen.

Bring in 4000 Buffalo fans that grew up in families that worked with machine presses,

farms, boiler rooms, and with blue collar values and pleasures, and there was bound to

be a little friction. Buffalo fans were not trying to ruin your atmosphere, we tried to

bring our own, and save for a few jackasses, we did. Loud and obnoxious. You bet.

That is not to say the Buffalo fans are blue collar, but seeing waves of Buffalonians

pour into your lots was a thrill for most of us. It was like a family reuinion and an irish wake- complete with the crazy uncles.

But hey, I have to say I talked with as many Carolina fans as I could. Pretty much the

message was the same with polite firmness: "We are honestly disappointed to see you people here."

We didn't trample all over southern hospitality - your fan base was already too angry to

offer any. Throw in a ton of Sabres fans that want to flip your building or at least

neutralize the home ice advantage - and well, the BBQ doesn't feel like family fun.

I have no regrets. I hope Carolina keeps their team. But honestly we have a different

calibration for success and safety. 5 Buffalonians arrested after 2 playoff hockey games

sounds to us like 1 bad apple out of every 1000 that attended, and a terrific security success.

I for one am just entertained by it all. People on message boards writing heartfelt apologies for

a game they didn't go to - NASCAR quips - (I am never going to joke about Nascar - to me it is just a sign of the Apocolypse) - and all the people that are so aghast by it all. This is fun.

And oh yes. If having Rory Fitzpatrick on the ice scares the bejesus out of me, you can imagine how I feel about him paired with Jillson.

Great post X.

I think that I will shut up entirely on this subject as there is no way I can state it any better than this.

I have ever seen.

You are the hockey Sherpa :D (bows head in reverence).

I am sorry... You don't deserve an NHL team... Maybe a minor league team... Playoff time is sellout time... Sellout time means paying 100-200 bucks a seat in the big leagues... That is the economy of the big dogs... You can float non-sellout crowds during the 40 or so home games.

Moving to Carolina was the wrong choice... Many other places (Canada) would fit the ecomomic model for the league... Niche to families is for the farm teams.

Sorry, it is just the way it is... They totally screwed up... You can't have empty seats during the playoff run.

100-200 bucks is not much to ask if you (the region) weren't undercutting other cities with corporate welfare.

Again, I am sorry... Just the truth... The Hurricanes have to keep pace with other cities. And from what I hear, RBC is a small arena... So, hence the price increase (less people, pay more money in the playoffs)... You ask why? Because they share the gate receipts during the palyoffs and split it amongst the players and others.

Playoff time is their "cash crop."

Again, I have no idea where to begin with all of your inaccuracies.

First off, let's get a few things straight.

RBC management estimated there were about 2,200 tickets bought by out of staters, presumably Buffalo fans, there were a lot of you but the place was not exactly overrun.

Second, the RBC center seats just under 19,000, or about 500 seats bigger than the HSBC.

As to your assertions regarding corporate welfare, well no argument there, but you can see the benefits to the area, which has one of the highest living standards in the country.

And whether your small minds want to accept it, the NHL is in Raleigh to stay.

The fanbase continues to grow and the team continues to get better.

Eric Staal, Cam Ward, Jack Johnson, Justin Williams, Erik Cole the foundation is set for success.

So many of you seem to live in denial and disbelief....is that why we aren't talking about your blue line?

The Goat

"RBC management estimated there were about 2,200 tickets bought by out of staters, presumably Buffalo fans, there were a lot of you but the place was not exactly overrun."

That may be true, but I was there and the friend I went with lives there. So you need to add in the couple thousand "locals" that are sabres fans.

Benedict,

Shrunk the size of your quote to save space, but I agree with most of what you wrote.

I think it's important to remember that, in the center of the college basketball universe, we have seen fights between fans for longer than the Hurricanes, or the Sabres for that matter, have been in existence.

The backlash, if you can call it that, is more of a product of local media than the fans.

You want fights? Go to an NC State game wearing a Carolina jersey.

Simply put, Buffalo fans weren't an issue once they got on the bus. You guys didn't make any more of an impression than fans from Toronto, Montreal or New Jersey.

Sorry to disappoint, but you guys are just another group of fans. We've seen all of this before.

The Goat

Archived