Can't get it out!!

Kristian

Don't know about the rest of you, but I can't help but fear that The Sabres inability to clear the zone is going to come back to haunt us at some point.

I may be biased, but I have to say The Sabres are probably the worst team at clearing their own zone I ever saw. Players with time and space for a high dump down the middle of the ice repeatedly try to bank it off the boards instead.

Ottawa knew all they had to is keep their d-men in the zone, hugging the boards when the Sabres are under pressure, and Carolina did the same thing in game 1.

Here's hoping it won't matter, but it sure gives me the fits to watch.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I can't help but fear that The Sabres inability to clear the zone is going to come back to haunt us at some point.

I may be biased, but I have to say The Sabres are probably the worst team at clearing their own zone I ever saw. Players with time and space for a high dump down the middle of the ice repeatedly try to bank it off the boards instead.

Ottawa knew all they had to is keep their d-men in the zone, hugging the boards when the Sabres are under pressure, and Carolina did the same thing in game 1.

Here's hoping it won't matter, but it sure gives me the fits to watch.

This used to drive me crazy too, but I've kind of become accustomed to it. Much of the time, the Sabres are looking for the breakout pass, and hold the puck too long or make a bad pass. On the upside, the Sabres are deadly in the transition game.

The also tend to play positionally, instead of chasing the puck into corners, which increases the puck control time for the opposing team.

There's a lot of activity in the zone, but there are very few cross-ice or rebound chances, and Miller is good enough to take care of the rest.

I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!!! 100%... There's so many times where I am like CLEAR IT! CLEAR IT! I can't remember who it was on Saturday, but they held on to it for too long and then gave a WEAK attempt to clear the blue line and it was easily kept in by Carolina's PP line.

I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!!! 100%... There's so many times where I am like CLEAR IT! CLEAR IT! I can't remember who it was on Saturday, but they held on to it for too long and then gave a WEAK attempt to clear the blue line and it was easily kept in by Carolina's PP line.

That was Fitzpatrick. He had time and space, and made a weak-azzed dump around the boards. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!

That was Fitzpatrick. He had time and space, and made a weak-azzed dump around the boards. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!

It might have been Fitz in game 1, but I tell you I've seen that exact play a million times, from everyone on the roster :)

I feel that Buffalo does have problems clearing their zone at times as well, but it's definitely a stretch to say that the Sabres are "the worst team you've ever seen" at clearing their own zone.

In fact, throughout the playoffs, and in the last 6 games of the regular season the Sabres have been remarkably effective at clearing the zone quickly. A few times at the end of games (vs Philly, Ottawa and Carolina) when opposing teams have 6 forwards all pinching in, and Buffalo doesn't want to risk an icing, yes, it might look like we're having trouble. Of course, that's the point of pulling your goalie - you're able to play keepaway with the puck much better, and also your D aren't falling back to center ice...they're staying put on the blue line.

For the most part, through much of the game, Buffalo did an admirable job clearing the zone after just 1 or 2 shots by Carolina. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...you can always tell when Buffalo is playing well defensively, beacuse their backchecking well, and clearing the zone after just a shot or two.

Think back to the Philly and Ottawa series...both teams are probably the best in the NHL at cycling the puck down low and keeping pressure on in the offensive zone, yet this didn't happen very much vs the Sabres.

I think the sabres strategy on clearing the puck is to do so without giving up possession of the puck. I see them get opportunities to dump it in the neutral zone, but they don't because it would turn the puck over to the other team. Because their transisition game is so dangerous this season they opt to be patient with the puck in their zone while looking for the pass that will open up a chance for an offensive rush.

Fitzpatrick was really pushed into that bad pass he made, three guys collapsed on him. He should have tried to play it around the back of the net but he was pressured into a mistake.

It doesn't seem to matter right now as the Canes couldn't put a puck in the ocean.

So, by all means, continue to surrender your zone for minutes at a time, the Canes CAN'T PUT IT IN YOUR NET.

I can only hope that your fear comes true and that the Canes territorial dominance erodes your defence and they begin to put a few in.

The Goat

This very frustrating, and I agree it seems we used to be able to see it coming, especially with a certain player who wore a number between 41 and 43 whose name and number I will not mention for fear of bringing bad karma into this run at the Cup ...

Anyway, it seems this year it happens some because there is a fear of icing the puck with the new no-change rule, and also because I think it is part of the system. You say "Ottawa knew all they had to is keep their d-men in the zone, hugging the boards when the Sabres are under pressure, and Carolina did the same thing in game 1." But how many odd-man rushes have the Sabres gotten this season because the opponent pinched and they chipped the puck by the guy? More than we can count, especially since they can't tackle the guy anymore when they get caught. It's risk vs. reward ... the risk is they keep it in, but even then it is along the boards and the defenseman has a forward in his face ... low risk if everyone is doing their job. The reward is probably a 2-on-1 ... if you get even one or two per game, the reward is higher than the risk.

I think this is magnified by the amount of play that occurs in the Buffalo zone. When 15 of the 20 minutes is played there, it just seems every missed attempt to get it out is challenging playoff fate.

I think it was jad1 that pretty much summed up my take on it.

I'm cool with it because that delay gives a forward an extra step or two on a stretch pass. Given the rate at which we've been converting odd-man rushes and breakaways, I can live with it. In fact, I like it. Take your time and make the first pass out count...

It doesn't seem to matter right now as the Canes couldn't put a puck in the ocean.

So, by all means, continue to surrender your zone for minutes at a time, the Canes CAN'T PUT IT IN YOUR NET.

I can only hope that your fear comes true and that the Canes territorial dominance erodes your defence and they begin to put a few in.

The Goat

It will definitely be an interesting game tonight. Both teams have the ability to keep the other back on their heels when they really get moving.

The key as I see it tonight is coaching. Will Lindy be able to give Rory and Janik shifts at times and situations that they don't get caught on the ice too long and under too much pressure or will Peter be able to exploit the weakness. Lindy will be able to hide the deficiencies in the Mmarena so Carolina will need to take advantage of that edge tonight if they are to keep this a series.

The early goal that the Sabres have been scoring in the postseason will be HUGE, if they can get it. Giving Janik a lead should help calm his nerves a lot. If the Sabres are trailing, it will put tremendous pressure on the D.

This game tonight will be the difference between a 4-5 game series and a 6-7 game series.

The Goat

How many good shots do you think the Canes had?

I thought it was pretty clear that Buffalo was going to surrender shots from the sides and deny everything up the middle.

How many good shots do you think the Canes had?

I thought it was pretty clear that Buffalo was going to surrender shots from the sides and deny everything up the middle.

Three quality, quality opportunities, with Stillman's miss on the open net being the best example.

You are all correct in that Buffalo, while outshot, did not give up many quality opportunities -- hence the importance for the Canes of capitalizing on each one.

The Goat

I know we like to parse things down to shots on goal and quality shots. From where I am sitting, any in the direction of the goal has the potential to be dangerous. In Game 1, Carolina had 31 shots on goal, 29 more were blocked by the Sabres and I don't know how many more were fired wide or high and not counted in the statistics. In the one game that Ottawa won, the Senators shot wide right and missed the goal but the rebound came off the wall and right on to Spezza's stick and promptly in the goal. Any shot in your zone has the potential to bounce its way into the goal. So if you do the math, there were 60 shots at the goal + those not counted. That is way, way, way too much. Let's play in the offensive zone....

Archived