WHL Final series

Sabres73

Moose Jaw Warriors continued their clutch play with an OT win tonight over Portland to take a 3-0 series lead. With the next two games in Moose Jaw, they have a great chance to end it at home. Savoie with an assist.

• Like (+1) 4

Posted (edited)

The Warriors win game 4 tonight 4-2, completing the unlikely sweep of the Winterhawks and booked their ticket to the Memorial Cup. Savoie with a goal. The bars in MJ will be hopping tonight

Edited by Sabres73
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Moose Jaw (Savoie) Drummondville (Komarov) and London all swept their championship series to advance to Saginaw for the Memorial Cup. I wonder if that has ever happened before where all 3 league championship series ended in sweeps.

A couple of highly touted draft eligible dmen will be playing as Saginaw has  Parekh while London has Dickinson. 

Two prospects I would be very reluctant to trade in any deal are Savoie and Levi. The Sabres have a good prospect pipeline with players who won't make the big club because there simply isn't room to absorb them. There is no excuse for the GM not to trade some prospects for players who can help this team right now. When you got chips you should use them 

I would like to get the opinions from those who follow the prospect world. Does anyone think that Savoie can follow the footsteps of Benson and impress enough in camp to make the Sabre roster. It's apparent that he isn't suited for a fourth line role but maybe as a third line player? Whenever I watched Benson, although his offensive output wasn't impressive,  I never felt that he was a liability on the ice. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I would like to get the opinions from those who follow the prospect world. Does anyone think that Savoie can follow the footsteps of Benson and impress enough in camp to make the Sabre roster. It's apparent that he isn't suited for a fourth line role but maybe as a third line player? Whenever I watched Benson, although his offensive output wasn't impressive,  I never felt that he was a liability on the ice. 

I doubt it only due to the circumstances; we need vets with size not more small rookies. He'll likely be on the team the following year.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Savoie has NHL speed, plays hard in all three zones.

He just had the best points per game of any Sabres junior prospect coming out of the Dub in recent memory: better than Benson, Cozens, Krebs, Reinhart and Tyler Ennis, and by a considerable margin. It was the 3rd best by any prospect period in the past 15 years.

There is nothing unusual about a top 10 NHL pick making the NHL roster in their D3 year. It’s pretty common. 5 of the 6 forwards picked in the top 10 the draft previous were in the NHL this year.

Logan stankoven is Savoie’s size and a year older. Last year he had a very similar season in the WHL and this year he is playing regularly in the Stanley Cup playoffs for a very good Dallas team.

All of that is to say, is that in a vaccuum, it is entirely reasonable.

Personally, I hope the Sabres are not planning for it, and, in fact, are actively seeking NHL veterans to put in his way.

If he makes it, I hope it happens later in the year, and it’s because he has been playing so well in the AHL he earned his shot.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Savoie plays centre in Moose Jaw and plays it well. He has changed his game and is much more focused on defensive positioning in all 3 zones. I was impressed with his defensive play. He was solid at the faceoff dot too. He plays both PP and PK. He now picks his spots to explode rather than skating around 100 miles an hour often getting out of position defensively.

I think he starts in Rochester but will be a Sabre before the year is over.

He has great chemistry with Benson. Find a big RW to play with them and you will have a nice middle 6 line.

Benson Savoie Tuch would be a line you could trust all over the ice.

Savoie ended the playoffs with 24 points in 19 games. Only 1 PP goal. He recorded a point in every game but one.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Savoie has NHL speed, plays hard in all three zones.

He just had the best points per game of any Sabres junior prospect coming out of the Dub in recent memory: better than Benson, Cozens, Krebs, Reinhart and Tyler Ennis, and by a considerable margin. It was the 3rd best by any prospect period in the past 15 years.

There is nothing unusual about a top 10 NHL pick making the NHL roster in their D3 year. It’s pretty common. 5 of the 6 forwards picked in the top 10 the draft previous were in the NHL this year.

Logan stankoven is Savoie’s size and a year older. Last year he had a very similar season in the WHL and this year he is playing regularly in the Stanley Cup playoffs for a very good Dallas team.

All of that is to say, is that in a vaccuum, it is entirely reasonable.

Personally, I hope the Sabres are not planning for it, and, in fact, are actively seeking NHL veterans to put in his way.

If he makes it, I hope it happens later in the year, and it’s because he has been playing so well in the AHL he earned his shot.

Terrifically detailed analysis of Savoie. How can one not be excited with this prospect. Based on your comments and the numerous reports about him, I envision him playing with the Sabres sooner rather than later. 

Thank you. 

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I doubt it only due to the circumstances; we need vets with size not more small rookies. He'll likely be on the team the following year.

I agree with you that the GM has to bring in some experienced players who can play right away. However, whether he makes the roster out of camp or after a stint in Rochester that doesn't foreclose the option of adding vets. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Terrifically detailed analysis of Savoie. How can one not be excited with this prospect. Based on your comments and the numerous reports about him, I envision him playing with the Sabres sooner rather than later. 

Thank you. 

Keep in mind, he was a year older than Reinhart and Cozens and two years older than Benson.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Keep in mind, he was a year older than Reinhart and Cozens and two years older than Benson.

There is another factor that leans toward bringing him in sooner (earned of course) than later. There is an expectation that he will be joining a better team than the others did. Of course, there is an assumption that the GM is going to make moves that improve this roster. 

• 2 weeks later...