Buffalo Sabres ownership situation

PASabreFan

On 4/20/2024 at 2:32 PM, Mango said:

In the last 7.5 moths Pegula told Rochester that

- Dissolving PSE would be a change in name only and wouldn't effect the operation of BCA. (August 28,2023)
- Backing out of the lease didn't have anything to do with his commitment to Rochester. Both teams would be staying. (April 2, 2023)
- He is selling the Knighthawks but only because he doesn't want 2 NLL teams so close to each other (April 18, 2024)

Based on that it seems like the Buffalo Sabres are very likely open to hearing offers. 

https://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=21474854444

You for got that PSE has also opted out of the operating contract for BCA as of April 30, 2025.. as announced on March 28, 2024.  🙂

On 4/20/2024 at 4:36 AM, That Aud Smell said:

Pro sports might be a bubble? Think about how out of reach attendance is at an average hockey game for a family of 4. How onerous PSL’s are. At some point, the economics could fail.

I’ll say.  I went to the 1985 Super Bowl at Stanford.  The ticket face value was $60.  I paid $125 to sit in the 2nd to last row of the end zone seats.  I was making about $30K then.

This past Super Bowl the tickets were around $6K.  I’m been retired now for a few years but even if I was still working, no freakin’ way would I pay $6K for a ticket.  

4 hours ago, LTS said:

https://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=21474854444

You for got that PSE has also opted out of the operating contract for BCA as of April 30, 2025.. as announced on March 28, 2024.  🙂

Regarding this decision, here is what I think Pegula is thinking: you can’t make money running an antiquated, million-year-old arena so here’s the keys to everything but the locker rooms.

The problem here is that Terry’s profit & loss in ROC is immaterial to his seven billion dollar balance sheet. That is why it is so saddening to the local community. He’s basically like, “yea the Amerks/Hawks/Blue Cross Arena is less than 1% of my annual revenues and the P&L statement doesn’t make money so peace out.” 

Kim was the force of, “Rochester is important because it is my home town.”
Terry has moved on from that and it sucks for us in ROC. He was the angel investor and it is no more.  

On 4/20/2024 at 9:59 AM, Pimlach said:

So, all the things we loved about attending professional sports as kids are gone, ruined because of greed.  

Falling Down Oops GIF by Minnesota State University Moorhead

Not if you’re watching this Canucks game rn. 

NFL game advantage is its once or twice a month.  8 games a year.  People will go. 

Have a terrible hockey team playing another one on a Tuesday in January?  Tough draw.  

8 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

I’ll say.  I went to the 1985 Super Bowl at Stanford.  The ticket face value was $60.  I paid $125 to sit in the 2nd to last row of the end zone seats.  I was making about $30K then.

This past Super Bowl the tickets were around $6K.  I’m been retired now for a few years but even if I was still working, no freakin’ way would I pay $6K for a ticket.  

You weren't making $1.44M right before you retired? 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Kim was the force of, “Rochester is important because it is my home town.”
Terry has moved on from that and it sucks for us in ROC. He was the angel investor and it is no more.  

Man, y'all got the Wegmans family and just overall a lot more legacy money than Greater Buffalo. 😜

On 4/20/2024 at 9:42 AM, That Aud Smell said:

All fair points, but … this isn’t binary. 

I’ve been a Bills STH for a while now. There is something transcendent about being in a stadium and joining in a stretch of cheering delirium. Fandemonium, as Van called it.

I said it at the time and I’ll say it forever more: The wildcard round when the Bills demolished the Patriots was the happiest I need to be, probably the happiest I can be over a sporting outcome. I was crying at times — with the tears freezing fast to my face. When the Bills win the Super Bowl, I’ll be in a more static environment. It won’t, can’t be the same. I don’t think it’ll even be as delightful. We’ll see.

Whether we’re ooohing and ahhhing over a Josh Allen odds defying scramble or wooping and 🤘 ing at an Eddie Van Halen run of hammer technique arpeggios (RIP), that element of human connection (what some religious call “communion”) adds something unique to and amplifies the enjoyment of the amazing thing we’re experiencing.

The crowd during the micah hyde interception was the loudest i've ever heard in that stadium.  

• Thanks (+1) 1