Owen Power in 2023/24, how good or bad was he?

LGR4GM

There has been a lot of talk about Owen Power this offseason already. Was he good? Was he good enough? Was he bad? 

Stats are limited to defenders that played at least 500mins at 5v5

Owen Power ranked 71st in 5v5 cf% at 51.55% which is on the same level is a player like Hedman, Suter, or Samuelsson (all less than .3% higher). He was 131 out of 271 players in xGF% with 48.5%. Finally he was 46.05% for HDCF% which is 162 but better than Byram. 

Now I specifically am only looking at his 5v5 play here but we can see a player who does tilt the ice overall in his teams favor but when it comes to quality chances against, was not as good at all. Those numbers are more akin to a 4/5 defender than the 2/3 defender we need. In fact his HDCF is bottom pairing stuff. 

My take away here is that Owen Power had a mediocre 2nd season. That said all his numbers are only slightly down from what his first season was, like .5 or less we are talking. I think this indicates a few things. First, Power did not make a jump up from his rookie year but also didnt really slump, he just kinda middled around. This indicates a level of stalled growth. Second, Power is still very young at only 21yrs old so patience to a degree is warranted here. Third, the counting stats back up the fancy stats, he did almost exactly the same as the previous year, g, a, pts, pm, +/- are all almost exact mirrors of eachother. 

My conclusion is this, Power needs a big push from a legit coach this offseason. I didn't like his contract when it was signed and I like it less now. There is time to turn it around and it wasn't as though Power was terrible last year. Jokiharju was 200th in HDCF, 148 in xGF%, and 124 in cf% versus 162, 131, and 71 respectively. Dahlin was 104, 92, 31.

So there is work to be done all around and new coach can improve these numbers especially for Power but he needs to figure out how he is going to take that next step because this season, he just tread water. 

Sidenote: Carolina has 5 defenders in the top 10 for CF%, 4 in the top 10 for xGF%, and 2 in the top 10 for HDCF% 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks for harvesting his stats.

I don't have an eyeball test so much as I have a group chat test. Power was far and away the most motherf**ked Sabre defenseman in my main hockey group chat. And I'll admit: He had many confounding (terrible) plays in his own zone and in front of his own net. I think he'll get that straightened out over time. Hopefully soon.

I like his offensive vision and knack for joining the attack at the right time.

He'd benefit greatly from becoming a player with merely below-average physicality.

I just want him to use his body “a little bit”.  He’s damned good considering his age.  He’s gotta start engaging at closer than stick distances though.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He had one really bad stretch.   When he sat out a few games he came back much better. 

He has to use his body more, that is an obvious fact.  He is too timid.  

I think that overall he was ok, but the expectations for him are higher than he could achieve.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ross Rhea said:

I'm not the biggest Owen Power fan but my mind could be changed as I would like to see how he plays under a veteren experienced coach.

Word

I thought he played poor way too many games. Bad giveaways. Not clearing players out of the crease. Looked lost over and over. Looked better the last few weeks but a no show earlier.  Couldn't believe he got that contract instead of a prove it bridge deal. Dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he took a step back overall this year.  I also thin he played better the last 30 games than he did the first half+ of the season.  I think he'll be fine, actually I think he'll be really good, just its going to be a gradual, slow grind to get there over the next couple of years.

• Like (+1) 1