Staying the course - Comments from Season Ticket Holder Q and A

Derrico

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

You should be disappointed in yourself.  It really appears that cannot take any criticism toward the Sabres organization.  You don’t respect opinions that don’t align with yours.   

I've believe that many sports fans have made their fan-hood so large a part of their personal identity that to criticize the team is actually received as criticizing them. 

It's why, no matter what the end result, as in no playoffs for 12, 13 years that the criticism is not taken well.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think we can read a lot from how Botts lost his job. The subtext there was, “we are bad while spending a lot of money, look, we can be bad while spending less, in that case.”

I think he’s willing to fork out, it’s just not the default anymore. Our GM is to do whatever he wants to do in an economic way, first, and if the pillars of the operation progress to the extent it looks like it can support the weight of more cash: it’s on the table.

I don’t see close to the urgency in fielding a winner that id like to see, and some of that manifests in our leaning towards spending less, but it’s not a hard line thing 

The Botts thing feels like is was likely pretty untenable. With the rumors that Pegula forced the Skinner contract and franchise layoffs it sounds like no matter what the results or spend were that this was a relationship that was never going to work out. 

On 3/11/2024 at 7:46 PM, Derrico said:

I’m sure others must have also been to the season ticket holder Q and A with Kevin Adams and Donny tonight. 

Quick summary of what I got from it:

* They intend to stay the course and want most of the teams progress to come from within.  Young guys need to take the next step and be given opportunity. 

*They both talked very highly of Krebs and there’s no doubt they want him to be the 3C

*They are likely looking to bring in a vet 4C.

*KA feels goaltending is a strength of the team.  Sounds like they would be happy with UPL and Levi next year

*I did hear KA say how badly he wants to win.  I know it’s all the usual talk but I really needed to hear it directly.  I’m glad he said it. 

*Very irritating hearing Donny talk about how great last years team was at scoring.  How much better they are getting at D this season and continuing to hear the word progress.  Regressing in the standings this year does not feel like progress.  It’s tough listening to the leaders of the organization feel like they have.  I know there are aspects where they have.  It’s not all doom and gloom but nearing the end of a disappointing season where we will likely miss the playoffs for a 13 straight season is not exactly what I want to hear right now.

*It was good the Sabres put this on.  Didn’t love all I heard but atleast I did get to hear them directly.  Pizza logs weren’t bad either. 

Thanks for posting this.  

Krebs still not showing enough at this time for me to think he is a 3C on a playoff team.   I prefer they bring in a 3C and if Krebs beats him out then that's good too.    

Based on what I read in your posts, it may be another off season of trying to elevate prospects.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:12 AM, LETSTUCHINGO said:

Boy that Bo Byram trade sure seems to be helping out greatly! And look that garbage trade for Greeny seems to be paying dividends as well, who knew? Also, that irrelevant trade for Robinson seems to have provided a nice 4th line player with speed, hustle, and grit, shocker! Albeit KA's lack of moves last summer hurt (especially after the Quinn injury), besides that, where has he gone wrong again? Oh wait, bc I'm not old and bitter I don't want to win now. I'm not educated on hockey, or I'm just a "passive" fan. 

The Byram trade looks good right now.  It will look better when we get a good replacement for Mitts on the roster, we have the assets to do it.  Or they can give the job the Krebs and wait for him to be ready for it, which I prefer not to do when are sitting on a pile of tradable assets.  

The Greenway trade has always looked good.  The Clifton signing too (you forgot that one).   Give us more of this Adams.  

Robinson?  Yeah he plays hard but really,  I find praising the GM for this acquisition to be grasping.  

Adams is going on year 5 and you have 3 names, I gave you a fourth.  

You ask, besides the last off season and the Quinn injury, where has he gone wrong?  Maybe its best if we just ignore the standings, or the attendance figures, or the overall perception of this team throughout the league, and just look forward. 

No sense in dwelling on the past.  Adams has the luxury of another off season to BUILD a team.   

The bolded is not worth responding to.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/11/2024 at 10:30 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I think Kev is saying he can't get elite players to come to Buffalo so we have to grow our own. 

The Buffalo Sabres can’t get elite players to come to Buffalo anymore because our owner Terry Pegula thought he was the smartest hockey person in the room. Called for Buffalo Sabres tanking and with that came huge risks to the Buffalo Sabres reputation as a solid respectable NHL franchise. Terry Pegula did that no one else he is the owner the buck stops at the top. The Buffalo Sabres market starts with Buffalo extends to Rochester/Erie/Toronto GA and the Golden Horseshoe. The Buffalo Sabres franchise for all extent and purposes is the second Toronto NHL franchise and the Toronto Maple Leafs love it that way better in Buffalo than the Toronto suburbs. The Buffalo Sabres market is huge and Terry Pegula turned the franchise into the likes of the Arizona Coyotes today which is garbage. Then after Terry Pegula runs the Sabres into the ground he basically gives the Buffalo Sabres the same love as Charlie Finley gave the old California Golden Seals. See because the Oakland Athletics were Charlie Finley’s favorite same thing with Terry Pegula once he bought the Buffalo Bills the Buffalo Sabres got Charlie Finley treatment by Terry Pegula.

Oh I know thankfully Buffalo still has NHL hockey? Oh what would Buffalo ever do without Terry Pegula as owner. Like Buffalo has done for over 100 plus seasons in professional sports go on. Ok Terry Pegula isn’t the Sun, the moon and the stars. Buffalo sports went on before Terry Pegula and it will go on after Terry Pegula he is someone just passing in Buffalo sports history unfortunately he won’t get on with it and sell the Buffalo Sabres. See above the Buffalo Sabres market is from Buffalo to Southern Ontario no one is moving from here to tiny Salt Lake City or failed twice Atlanta. Buffalo needs to understand Buffalo isn’t all of the Buffalo Sabres market it never was just by the name Sabres instead of Sabers the Knox Brothers saw this franchise as a Buffalo Niagara Frontier up through Southern Ontario. Terry Pegula’s clueless ness is driving the hardcore Canadian hockey fans away from Buffalo Sabres games. Sell the Buffalo Sabres Terry Pegula to a owner that cares about the hockey team in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Eyeroll 2

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

This place sucks lol 

Make the f*cking the playoffs 

get out of here with this gaslighting sh*t

yes, if you don’t ever finish above 20th out of 32 your GM is doing an objectively poor job 

“Besides that wHeRe hAs hE gOnE wRonG aGaIn?!” 

nhl.com/standings

^ start there. By all means be happy with whatever metrics for progress you want divorced from the what they rest of the league measures by but do not outwardly mock those that actually want success. You are literally sarcastically mocking fans in the middle of a 13 year drought, as if it’s absurd we want to actually win.

Let me get this straight, you and others can mock fans for opinions you don’t agree with, but others can’t do it back to you. Interesting. Gaslighting? That’s cute. Seeing how this is a forum and you obviously have no problem expressing your opinions, I will continue to express mine, sarcastically and as mockingly as I like. I believe the Sabres are on the right path and that KA is building the team in the right way! I’m not as convinced that Donny is the right coach, but we will see. Go Sabres, HUGE game tonight! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

Let me get this straight, you and others can mock fans for opinions you don’t agree with, but others can’t do it back to you. Interesting. Gaslighting? That’s cute. Seeing how this is a forum and you obviously have no problem expressing your opinions, I will continue to express mine, sarcastically and as mockingly as I like. I believe the Sabres are on the right path and that KA is building the team in the right way! I’m not as convinced that Donny is the right coach, but we will see. Go Sabres, HUGE game tonight! 

After seeing your first ever post ever was last year and about how knowledgeable Kevyn Adams with a heavy dose of Kevyn Adams ballwashing I have no choice but to believe that both you and @Sabres73 are some combination of Mr. and Mrs. Adams. 

I just asked Siri and she agreed. 

EDIT: I just asked Alexa. She said without a doubt. But with an Australian accent. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The Byram trade looks good right now.  It will look better when we get a good replacement for Mitts on the roster, we have the assets to do it.  Or they can give the job the Krebs and wait for him to be ready for it, which I prefer not to do when are sitting on a pile of tradable assets.  

The Greenway trade has always looked good.  The Clifton signing too (you forgot that one).   Give us more of this Adams.  

Robinson?  Yeah he plays hard but really,  I find praising the GM for this acquisition to be grasping.  

You ask, besides the last off season and the Quinn injury, where has he gone wrong?  Maybe its best if we just ignore the standings, or the attendance figures, or the overall perception of this team throughout the league, and just look forward. 

No sense in dwelling on the past.  Adams has the luxury of another off season to BUILD a team.   

Thanks for your opinion. I didn’t forget the Clifton trade, I don’t think it has panned out as well as what was hoped. 

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You should be disappointed in yourself.  It really appears that you cannot take any criticism toward the Sabres organization.  You don’t respect opinions that don’t align with yours.   

Not true, they deserve criticism at times. What I don't like is repeated flat-out dumb comments. There is a vast difference. Unless you also think the organization is "preparing to miss the playoffs next year".

Edited by Sabres73

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

“Some guys just can’t handle Vegas” 

6 hours ago, Mango said:

After seeing your first ever post ever was last year and about how knowledgeable Kevyn Adams with a heavy dose of Kevyn Adams ballwashing I have no choice but to believe that both you and @Sabres73 are some combination of Mr. and Mrs. Adams. 

I just asked Siri and she agreed. 

EDIT: I just asked Alexa. She said without a doubt. But with an Australian accent. 

I've been on this board for over two decades, I also like the way Adams is building the team. For this team, in this market, at this time, I think the draft and develop strategy is the way to go. Not strictly of course. I want smart FA pickups and trades in the off-season. I advocated for Novak before nashville resigned him a couple weeks ago. Proposed giving up a kings ranson for Saros prior to the draft. Bitched for months when Adams didn't put in a waiver claim for Tolvanen. But over all, I like the direction the team is headed and am happy with Adams. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

EA1327F9-9B57-4ECE-99E1-4ABEF453AACB.thumb.jpeg.744873f7cd57221bf2876cf33b46ec3c.jpeg

You sleep on a bed of lies 

*****. You came along after the great server crash so I'll forgive your ignorance. That incident SDS referred to yesterday? That happened in 2002, and it was a topic of discussion on here. I know your self esteem is so low that you crave message board validation and get your feelings hurt over eye rolls to the point you'll hide and sulk for a few weeks, but you're getting really petty. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2024 at 9:58 PM, Hank said:

*****. You came along after the great server crash so I'll forgive your ignorance. That incident SDS referred to yesterday? That happened in 2002, and it was a topic of discussion on here. I know your self esteem is so low that you crave message board validation and get your feelings hurt over eye rolls to the point you'll hide and sulk for a few weeks, but you're getting really petty. 

It was a joke, sir 

good god

Don’t worry, I won’t let it happen/quote you again 

lmao the most innocuous rib and you fire back with that.

Edited by Thorny
  • dislike 1

Just now, Thorny said:

It was a joke, sir 

good god

Ah. Sorry. I hate being called a liar. I'm often wrong, but I don't lie. All good. Guess I'm a bit touchy, sorry about that. I'm going to bed. 

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Ah. Sorry. I hate being called a liar. I'm often wrong, but I don't lie. All good. Guess I'm a bit touchy, sorry about that. I'm going to bed. 

Whatever.

for the record, yes I slightly misquoted it but I thought the reference was also obvious 

College Accuse GIF

• dislike 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

I've been on this board for over two decades, I also like the way Adams is building the team. For this team, in this market, at this time, I think the draft and develop strategy is the way to go. Not strictly of course. I want smart FA pickups and trades in the off-season. I advocated for Novak before nashville resigned him a couple weeks ago. Proposed giving up a kings ranson for Saros prior to the draft. Bitched for months when Adams didn't put in a waiver claim for Tolvanen. But over all, I like the direction the team is headed and am happy with Adams. 

Listen 1H 1A 1N 1K. I get it, you want to be Kevyn Adams. But you can’t be him and the Mrs. are already here. 

Edited by Mango

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

It was a joke, sir 

good god

Don’t worry, I won’t let it happen/quote you again 

lmao the most innocuous rib and you fire back with that. Seek help

No, it wasn't a light hearted joke. You posted a screenshot of my profile page in an attempt to out me as a liar and embarrass me. You're so bothered by eye rolls that you're pettiness is becoming increasingly aggressive. JohnC commented some time back that liger was being a certain way. I responded with something like I disagree, when you say someone is doing that my mind goes to Thorny breaking 100 sticks on his dead horse. You read that and said something to the effect of, it's obvious people don't want me here so I'm gonna leave, and you disappeared for awhile. Then you started with the retaliatory eye rolls, which is kind of amusing. Recently you sent me a DM about giving you eye rolls. Now you post a screen shot of my profile page trying to embarrass me. So no, it most definitely was not intended as a joke. If the eye rolls bother you so much stop beating your dead horse and I'll stop giving them. It's just a message board. If eye rolls from an anonymous person in Nashville are affecting your emotional well-being, maybe you're the one who should seek help. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1