CBJ's GM gets pink slip

Cityo'Rasmii

9 hours ago, Mango said:

This now makes Adams the longest tenured playoff drought in the league. (Assuming the standings stay the same as they are today)

Technically Arizona hired Bill Armstrong the same offseason as Adams, but KA was hired 3 months earlier. 

Way to go Terry!

This is a meaningful stat 

“this regime isn’t amendable to past failures” need not apply 

8 hours ago, TageMVP said:

You can't be saying this in defense of the Sabres. I hope not, at least. 

They've also made the playoffs several more times than the Sabres. Check mate 

He is saying it in defence of the Sabres 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

I did say that I am taking the posters here who have consistently turned up correct internal information before at their word.  They also have written about the problems that Buffalo has historically had with recruitment, which partially exonerates Pegula and Adams from their critics.  Conjecture this might be, but they obviously know more than I do.

The first obvious question comes with XGMJB's dismissal and GMKA's ascension because Adams was willing to be a good soldier.  The current rebuilding plan with its spending limitations is GMKA's deciding under Terry Pegula's direction.  It is reasonable to draw the inference that Terry has some veto over what GMKA does.

From a hockey point of view, I have to ask if running back exactly the same forwards from the end of last year to this season was unduly caused by (very understandable) sentiment rather than cold hockey logic for Terry (and Kevin and Donnie too, for that matter).  It is reasonable to assert that the bottom part of the forward roster could have been improved upon and that it could have made a difference this year.

Very understandable? Totally disagree 

Some were screaming against the viability of a run it back approach after multiple career years. Hindsight need not apply: the off-season looked bad at the time. And worse now. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The layer above the GM (PoHO) is good to isolate the owner from the GM - which is what we need in Buffalo.  

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

The latter part.  It is human nature.

Also, considering @Brawndo's and other's information, there is also a natural question of whether some personnel moves are unduly influenced by Terry's sentiments rather than by pure hockey decisions.

Pegula does set parameters for the team in terms of total spending, authorizes the contract extensions and is kept informed by Adams on a daily basis. 
He used to be much more involved in decision making, this is how the Sabres ended with Alex Nylander over Charlie McAvoy or Chychurn, McAvoy even told Jerry Forton he thought the Sabres were taking him. 

Since Kim Pegula’s Medical Issues, he has taken a step back from the day to day decision making as he has a large amount of trust in Adams. 
He does have His Roster favorites as reported by Jeff Marek (Zemgus and Peterka) so there was some misplaced sentimental feelings that went into re-signing both Zemgus and KO without adding any other experienced forwards.

He does let the scouting staff make the final decisions on draft picks though. 

From various accounts, Adams does do a good job of insulating the Hockey Ops Department from Him and allows them to do their jobs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Pegula does set parameters for the team in terms of total spending, authorizes the contract extensions and is kept informed by Adams on a daily basis. 
He used to be much more involved in decision making, this is how the Sabres ended with Alex Nylander over Charlie McAvoy or Chychurn, McAvoy even told Jerry Forton he thought the Sabres were taking him. 

Since Kim Pegula’s Medical Issues, he has taken a step back from the day to day decision making as he has a large amount of trust in Adams. 
He does have His Roster favorites as reported by Jeff Marek (Zemgus and Peterka) so there was some misplaced sentimental feelings that went into re-signing both Zemgus and KO without adding any other experienced forwards.

He does let the scouting staff make the final decisions on draft picks though. 

From various accounts, Adams does do a good job of insulating the Hockey Ops Department from Him and allows them to do their jobs. 

Maybe they should let Terry have a try at the book, honestly 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Very understandable? Totally disagree 

Some were screaming against the viability of a run it back approach after multiple career years. Hindsight need not apply: the off-season looked bad at the time. And worse now. 

Sentimentality isn't understandable?  It is to me.   However, it was Granato's and Adams's jobs not to be swayed by that.

36 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Sentimentality isn't understandable?  It is to me.   However, it was Granato's and Adams's jobs not to be swayed by that.

Yes understandable on a human level. I suppose I feel like the context being “paid professionals” went without saying 

• Like (+1) 1

Friedman was talking about the fact that the Columbus Job is very desirable for a couple reasons 

1. The prospect pool and young players

2. Strong ownership group that’s good to work for

3. Columbus is a great place to live. 

Buffalo has two out of three of these 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.