How to retool the Sabres forward group?

GASabresIUFAN

The thread needs another music break.  Great song by a then teenager, with an amazing backing track too.  Influential R&B.  

Most everything I find on the old 1960’s Tamla / Motown record label is recorded beautifully, and a lot of the songs still hold up today.  Best played loud. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And... a lot of the conflict on the board ends up with fans on either side of the "stay the course" and "blow it all up" divide.

I'm in the "stay the course" camp. I have repeatedly stated so.  However, taking that view doesn't mean that I advocate that the front office shouldn't make moves to improve the roster and better balance the roster. I liked the Greenway and Clifton acquisitions. Although it took some time for each player to adjust to their new team, they are now solid contributors. There should have been a couple more of these types of mid-level deals that would have made this roster better.

I give little credibility to those who argue to blow up the team and the staff. That's the last thing this woebegone franchise needs to do. It's not a question of tinkering but making enough smart moves to keep on with the upward trajectory that followed last season. Most hockey analysts believed that Buffalo was ahead of Detroit in the rebuilding process. Why did Detroit move ahead of us this year? Yzerman made a number of moves to bring in players to augment the young talent he has  assembled over the past few years. He's simply a more experienced and astute GM than our GM. And it has been demonstrated by where his team is in the standings compared to where we are. 

I'm not a KA basher. In general, I believe he has done a good job. But he could have done more to accelerate the rebuilding process to keep up with the teams he is competing with. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm curious as to how much Boone Jenner would cost and if he'd be worth overpaying. He's only got 18 pts in 34 games this year which is the main hold up.

I like him but would not overpay  

Everyone says we don't have room for the kids, I disagree. Next year we have: 

Skinner TT Tuch

JJ Cozens Quinn

Benson Mitts (I think he's resigned long term.) Greenway

Krebs ( I think he gets his QO, not much more)

Savoie and Östlund can, should, and in Ostlunds case will be in Rochester next year. Both Kulich and Rosen should, and likely will, start in Rochester and may spend enother year there depending on their play. Even if they earn a call-up and play well enough to stick, isn't that a good thing? We still have room to add at least three FAs. 

I think Skinners last two years are bought out after next season. If they are his cap hit would be 4M(5M savings), 3M(6M savings), and 2M for two following two years. Greenways 3M comes off tho books. JJ & Quinn need resigned, but they're not centers so I don't think they get Cozens money. Additionally, I think, and I believe most would agree, Benson, Quinn and JJ have 1st line potential, by the 25/26 season they should be producing like it. Mitts, Thompson and Tuch should be producing like it. Cozens should be producing at least at a top six level. Rosen and Kulich are probably on the team this year, Östlund and Savoie probably start in Rochester. Still room for 2/3 FA. 

The next year Tuchs 4.75M comes off the books. He'll be 30/31. If he is resigned it won't be long term or for much more $. Savoie and Östlund will be on the roster, still room for a FA or two. RFAs are Benson, Kulich, Rosen, Savoie and Östlund. Benson is the only one likely to earn a big contract. The rest likely won't be able to earn it in thier one/two years on the team. If any of the four do produce enough to earn big money, wouldn't that be a GOOD problem to have?  

There's plenty of money, and plenty of time and space to integrate the kids into the lineup. 

Edited by Hank
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm curious as to how much Boone Jenner would cost and if he'd be worth overpaying. He's only got 18 pts in 34 games this year which is the main hold up.

I love this player. We have the assets to be able to get him. Not sure what the price would be but hopefully hes a player they are after if Columbus makes him available.

None of the three mentioned as our top centers have proven to be a very good center over a long period of time. TT should be winger but we are stuck with skinner where TT should be. Cozens has a chance to prove he is a center and recent play is encouraging. Mitts is not a center. Too slow. A new coach who enforces a disciplined style of play could save Cozens. 

Johnson, is not nor never will be top 4 type d. Not physical, average skater, ok puck mover. Does nothing above average. Comparing him to garbage of joker and Bryson anyone will look good. He should be in Rochester with orders to play physical.

• Disagree 1
  • dislike 1

Would you offer Savoie for Jenner straight up? I'd honestly be on the fence if there is reason to believe Jenner could continue his role and production for 2.3 years. He fits the mold of a vet leader who plays physically, has leadership, and isn't a detriment defensively. I have high hopes for Savoie but he's yet another small skill guy and Östlund has shown a bit more range in his style (defensive capabilities and the like) while Kulich just strikes me as a natural goal scorer.

15 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Would you offer Savoie for Jenner straight up? I'd honestly be on the fence if there is reason to believe Jenner could continue his role and production for 2.3 years. He fits the mold of a vet leader who plays physically, has leadership, and isn't a detriment defensively. I have high hopes for Savoie but he's yet another small skill guy and Östlund has shown a bit more range in his style (defensive capabilities and the like) while Kulich just strikes me as a natural goal scorer.

Sure, why not, as a 3C with Thompson and Benson on the wings

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don’t think Boone Jenner’s mom even likes Boone Jenner as much as this board does. 

Well he’s one of very few players in his category that might actually be available for reasonable terms to acquire and/or isn’t a headcase.

There is a very small number of intermediate options that can bring everything we need while not breaking the cap or asset pool.

For instance, even if Brady Tkachuk were available I’d not consider him since they’d be asking for Cozens and Power and/or our 1st while wanting to dump Korpisalo’s contract on us. Plus Brady seems a tad crazy and quite literally demanded the captaincy according to some reports.

Pat Maroon would be great if he weren’t ancient at this point. Same as Hornquist when Florida may have wanted to dump his salary a couple years ago. 

Players that can both play, be large and actually like being physical while not having glaring flaws are few and far between. That’s why many here like Boone Jenner, he’s a very good player who fills those roles and with a new coach; perhaps the combination can get Cozens back on his ole work horse ways and convince Tage to play angry more often. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watch the Edmonton Oilers and a few other teams. 

This Sabres team is soft and slow as ****. The Oilers, while far from the best team in hockey, are super fast and aggressive. They are constantly on the move, flying on the ice. Aggressive. Strong with the puck. 

The Sabres need to get physically stronger and develop more endurance. And then need a coach that gets them to play with intensity. Instead we are weak physically, do not skate well or aggressive or fast. Puck handling is junior level. That’s just the start. But it would go a long way. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.