After the latest loss, what does accountability look like?

Porous Five Hole

22 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

It's a lack of consistent effort. These guys take nights off and you can see it in their skating. Ownership and coaching can't change personalities. How can you change a Power into a Benson mindset?

Coaching can change a player.  Coaching can change an entire team.  

See St Louis Blues season 2018-19.  That coach is available.  

https://www.facebook.com/StLouisBlues/videos/berube-game-7-speech/1694993347546761/

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

IMHO, the problems in the coaching staff are below HCDG.  On the numerous bad days, the forwards in the defencive zone are borderline clueless.  On the far too few good days, this team can beat anyone.  We have griped about the PP ad nauseam.  Both of those are assistants' jobs nowadays.  These two need to be replaced if nobody else is.

Another problem is the age distribution of the team.  The youngsters just don't have enough older players for guidance on the ice.  5/7 D and 7/14 F are too young to truly be savvy veterans.  And in the forwards, the ice time with many of the youngsters is with other youngsters rather than veterans to show them the ropes.  This needs to be done via UFA or trades.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

IMHO, the problems in the coaching staff are below HCDG.  On the numerous bad days, the forwards in the defencive zone are borderline clueless.  On the far too few good days, this team can beat anyone.  We have griped about the PP ad nauseam.  Both of those are assistants' jobs nowadays.  These two need to be replaced if nobody else is.

Another problem is the age distribution of the team.  The youngsters just don't have enough older players for guidance on the ice.  5/7 D and 7/14 F are too young to truly be savvy veterans.  And in the forwards, the ice time with many of the youngsters is with other youngsters rather than veterans to show them the ropes.  This needs to be done via UFA or trades.

The assistants are clearly out of their league, but I'd also argue that HC DG is also.  He is still a first time HC in the NHL and I sense no willingness on his part to assess HIS OWN performance, meaning no accountability on himself.  I'd have more respect for him if he said "The team's performance is MY responsibility and I need to do a better job!"

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Agree on most of it. D-men being young, well, when you are basically saying/hoping that Dahline, Power, Samuelsson, and Jokiharju are going to be your top guys, there aren't many minutes left for anyone else.  On the forwards though, you know I agree with that, the issue is, again, if you bring in a vet guy, who's spot does he take the place of?  Plus the key is you need a vet who knows how to play a full game.  Okposo....this was brough up in another thread but he has never been on a team that played a good 200 foot game. As much as he is a veteran leader, I don't think he knows how to play defensively from up front.  When was the last time we had a forward on this team that was somewhat productive with EXPERIENCE on a team that played a good 200 foot game?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Agree on most of it. D-men being young, well, when you are basically saying/hoping that Dahline, Power, Samuelsson, and Jokiharju are going to be your top guys, there aren't many minutes left for anyone else.  On the forwards though, you know I agree with that, the issue is, again, if you bring in a vet guy, who's spot does he take the place of?  Plus the key is you need a vet who knows how to play a full game.  Okposo....this was brough up in another thread but he has never been on a team that played a good 200 foot game. As much as he is a veteran leader, I don't think he knows how to play defensively from up front.  When was the last time we had a forward on this team that was somewhat productive with EXPERIENCE on a team that played a good 200 foot game?

Unfortunately, the time for more veterans was last year.  Then the guys coming up would have started to displace them this year.  Granted, that takes away the fun of JJP, but it would have helped overall with Peterka, Quinn, Cozens, Benson, and Krebs.

JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.