This Day in Sabres History :: May 10

May 10, 1980

On the Island, trying to tie the semifinals at three games apiece, the Sabres open up a 2-0 lead only to see the Islanders score five unanswered goals. With the game and series all but decided in the third period, Lindy Ruff cruises past Billy Smith and receives the butt end of his goalie stick in the kisser as a souvenir of his trip. Ruff attacks Smith. "It was in the heat of battle," Ruff said. "I would have jumped off the Grand Island Bridge to win the game."

May 10, 1998

Matt Barnaby scores a hat trick in a Mother's Day matinee at Marine Midland Arena to lead the Sabres to a 6-3 win over Montreal and a two games to nothing lead in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

May 10, 2001

At HSBC Arena, Pittsburgh's Darius Kasparaitis scores in overtime of the seventh and deciding game of the Eastern Conference semifinals, beating Dominik Hasek with a harmless wrister from 40 feet.

May 10, 1980

On the Island, trying to tie the semifinals at three games apiece, the Sabres open up a 2-0 lead only to see the Islanders score five unanswered goals. With the game and series all but decided in the third period, Lindy Ruff cruises past Billy Smith and receives the butt end of his goalie stick in the kisser as a souvenir of his trip. Ruff attacks Smith. "It was in the heat of battle," Ruff said. "I would have jumped off the Grand Island Bridge to win the game."

This will always be my lasting memory of Lindy as a player. After taking the cheapshot, he turned on Smith like a doberman attacking a ham.

Smith taped the 'knob' of his stick about an inch or two below the butt end. The unpadded edge of Smith's stick cut Lindy on the cheek. Ruff wasn't the only victim of Smith's jabs and the league mandated that all goalies had to tape the entire butt end of their sticks the next year.

May 10, 1980

I swear to God I saw Mike Bossy and Brian Trottier kiss on the lips following a goal in that game. And how awful that that game falls on the same awful date that we lost game seven in Pittsburg. :unsure:

I swear to God I saw Mike Bossy and Brian Trottier kiss on the lips following a goal in that game. And how awful that that game falls on the same awful date that we lost game seven in Pittsburg. :unsure:

god, that pittsburgh game has to be the low point of the sabres history.. You knew it was over (and by over, i mean hasek/peca/gilmour et al were leaving) before it was over. Too bad... that was a great team.

PA Fan -- I respectfully submit that going forward, we have an additional item for 5/10.

Yeah, baby.

What item? That Strow quit school because Curtis Brown couldn't completely deflect a puck? Or that he quit school because Koharski told Kasparaitis that he WOULD get a penalty the NEXT time he grabbed the puck and threw it into the crowd?!? :blink:

What item? That Strow quit school because Curtis Brown couldn't completely deflect a puck? Or that he quit school because Koharski told Kasparaitis that he WOULD get a penalty the NEXT time he grabbed the puck and threw it into the crowd?!? :blink:

In case you were being facetious, we had sort of a big game at HSBC on 5/10/06...

Anyway, I don't bear a grudge against Dominik for letting in that goal -- not after all of the ones he kept out. When I hear Kasparitis, I think "cheap shot at Connolly's knee" and "I really hope Grier obliterates him at some point next year".

But actually I'm not thinking about any of that right now. I'm thinking about the fact that I picked the Sabres in 6 mostly b/c there was no way I wasn't picking my team -- but in the back of my mind I knew it would be an uphill battle. But a few days later, here we are, about to sweep, with the Senators exposed as flashy, gutless pretenders and the Sabres as a GREAT hockey team.

That's why I want 5/5/06, 5/8/06 and 5/10/06 saved for posterity in the "today in sabres history" file. But something tells me PAFan was going to take care of that anyway.

In case you were being facetious, we had sort of a big game at HSBC on 5/10/06...

It's late and I will cut you some slack for not catching the [facetious] ... [/facetious] around the post. (What, it didn't come through. I need to talk to SDS about that one! :P)

It's actually funny (to me, at least) that you mention that, because in the original version of my post I had a huge disclaimer at the bottom stating something to the effect of: yes, I know you were referring to tonight's game.

Darn, it's late, I'm tired, and have a lot of work to get done tomorrow before heading off to the Mmarena. G'night.