Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

here are my rooting interests for tonight:

• Sabres over Canucks (10pm)
  • Jackets over Wings (7pm)
  • Devils over Pens (7pm), and especially not in OT since we'd really prefer both lost
  • Leafs over Flyers (7pm)
  • Canes over Isles (7pm)

The Caps are only 1 pt back on the Flyers with a game in hand, so they could move up into Met 3rd spot. However that doesn't remove them as an issue for us, it really just adds Philly as another team we care about. But at least 1 of the Met teams (Caps, Devils, Isles, Flyers, Isles) can still finish ahead of us and we can claim the final Wild Card, so long as it's only 1.

In theory it should help us as all those teams have games against each other to finish out the season. So long as they win in regulation (which is a big IF this time of year) that should help us make up ground

Meanwhile, the Devils would be 1 point back on us (but still have a game in hand, so effectivity 1 point ahead of us unless they lose their game in hand)

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Sad.  A year younger than me.  Maybe he was doing something unhealthy that led to this but the rate at which NHL enforcers leave us early is harrowing.  

Nothing official, but I read it was suicide. He was battling depression apparently. I didn't realize he was that young. He wasn't just a goon either. I believe he had like 148 goals too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Claude Balls said:

Nothing official, but I read it was suicide. He was battling depression apparently. I didn't realize he was that young. He wasn't just a goon either. I believe he had like 148 goals too. 

He was exactly what I wanted every Sabre to be. Big, mean and talented. Looked cool af and was a ferocious fighter.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Sad.  A year younger than me.  Maybe he was doing something unhealthy that led to this but the rate at which NHL enforcers leave us early is harrowing.  

Given the high number of football players and boxers to also experience CTE, I strongly believe the comparably high death rate among NHL enforcers is more attributable to lifestyle than the brain trauma. 

Edited by JoeSchmoe

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

He was exactly what I wanted every Sabre to be. Big, mean and talented. Looked cool af and was a ferocious fighter.  

Same. I've been a closet Caps fan since the Peter Bondra/Scott Stevens days so I loved watching Simon when he was there. One the worst days was when he cut all his hair off. He was one big tough Indian. Chris and Ted Nolan were really close. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Given the high number of football players and boxers to also experience CTE, I strongly believe the comparably high death rate among NHL enforcers is more attributable to lifestyle than the brain trauma. 

I don’t understand the connection you are making. What does the “lifestyle” of NHL enforcers have to do with the high number of football players and boxers who get CTE. Not trying to be cute, I’m just not sure what you are indicating?  

11 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I don’t understand the connection you are making. What does the “lifestyle” of NHL enforcers have to do with the high number of football players and boxers who get CTE. Not trying to be cute, I’m just not sure what you are indicating?  

Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

The high death rate amongst NHL enforcers is commonly connected by the media to their CTE issues. The reality is the vast majority of these guys have long histories of drug and alcohol abuse going back to their playing days. 

I'm certain CTE doesn't help, but the drugs and alcohol would be the prime drivers of the suicides and other physical health related issues. If it were otherwise, football players and boxers would also be dying at similar rates.

Great out of town scoreboard as usual. Sabres should be in a playoff spot technically within a few days, is my prediction

We are in a new stage now, “math is unlikely” need not apply. We will be 2 points back after today with only 1 team in between. Caps schedule is ridiculously hard in a travel sense, and yes they have games in hand but when you have like 3 saved up your schedule gets ridiculously compacted down the stretch, which adds to the difficulty.

it’s our spot to lose. Keep playing at the pace we have been lately and we’ll snag it 

Edited by Thorny