Gallant and Rangers Part

Courier-Express

47 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

You may not think DG is good at developing young talent. But don’t say “we” don’t really know if he’s a “development guy”. 

I would bet the majority of fans view him as a coach who is good at developing young talent to get better, and tap into their full potential most of the time. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.

I meant to say, only a developmental guy. He’s great at developing young talent. Just saying we shouldn’t paint him into a corner just yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

You may not think DG is good at developing young talent. But don’t say “we” don’t really know if he’s a “development guy”. 

I would bet the majority of fans view him as a coach who is good at developing young talent to get better, and tap into their full potential most of the time. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.

Didn't believe he was saying Granato isn't good at developing talent.  He is.  But he was saying we don't know if Granato is capable of being more well rounded than that.  If he can be more well rounded (and he very well may be) it would be a snub to simply label him a development guy.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Didn't believe he was saying Granato isn't good at developing talent.  He is.  But he was saying we don't know if Granato is capable of being more well rounded than that.  If he can be more well rounded (and he very well may be) it would be a snub to simply label him a development guy.

Yes, the conversation was in regards to developmental guys vs those coaches like Gallant or others who strictly want to play vets to get results. Donnie is a developmental guy no doubt, but who knows how he’ll be able to guide grizzled vets. Maybe he can do both. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Yes, the conversation was in regards to developmental guys vs those coaches like Gallant or others who strictly want to play vets to get results. Donnie is a developmental guy no doubt, but who knows how he’ll be able to guide grizzled vets. Maybe he can do both. 

I think he can and could. Those young guns won’t be young forever. Soon enough they will be “grizzled vets”. 

Gallant was coach of the CBJ from 2003-2007. His record was a mediocre 56-76-4. Fired after three years.

He was then coach of the Panthers from 2014-2017. His record was 96-65, also fired after three years. 

After that, he was coach of VGK from 2017-2020. His record was 118-75. He was fired after three years.

After that it was the Rangers from 2021-2023. His record was 99-46 and fired after two seasons.

His total coaching record is 369-262. That's a pretty darn good record. Why does he keep getting fired after 2-3 seasons?

7 minutes ago, Quint said:

Gallant was coach of the CBJ from 2003-2007. His record was a mediocre 56-76-4. Fired after three years.

He was then coach of the Panthers from 2014-2017. His record was 96-65, also fired after three years. 

After that, he was coach of VGK from 2017-2020. His record was 118-75. He was fired after three years.

After that it was the Rangers from 2021-2023. His record was 99-46 and fired after two seasons.

His total coaching record is 369-262. That's a pretty darn good record. Why does he keep getting fired after 2-3 seasons?

Figure out why he was told to find his own way back to Florida from Montreal after being canned by the Swamp Cats and you will likely find your answer.

23 minutes ago, Quint said:

Can't figure it out, that's why I asked. 

How mad at you does your former boss need to be to be so petty as to not let you sit in the seat on the plane home that he'd already paid for you to sit in after he cans your butt?

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

How mad at you does your former boss need to be to be so petty as to not let you sit in the seat on the plane home that he'd already paid for you to sit in after he cans your butt?

I know there was anger there but what was the reason? What does this guy do that wears out his welcome and that he can't stick somewhere? Or are short coaching tenures just a sign of the times in a league where most teams lose money, regardless of winning? And what did Gallant do to make the Panthers make him pay for a taxi or whatever?  He's a winning coach; there's only one team per year that wins it all...a winning coach shouldn't be treated this way team after team unless there's something weird going on with him.

6 hours ago, Quint said:

I know there was anger there but what was the reason? What does this guy do that wears out his welcome and that he can't stick somewhere? Or are short coaching tenures just a sign of the times in a league where most teams lose money, regardless of winning? And what did Gallant do to make the Panthers make him pay for a taxi or whatever?  He's a winning coach; there's only one team per year that wins it all...a winning coach shouldn't be treated this way team after team unless there's something weird going on with him.

Gallant isn’t fired for results as much as personality. He never seems to get along with the front office. He is not an Xs and Os guy. He lets vet players play. He probably has a grating personality and doesn’t listen to suggestions from above. He is hired for his previous results and then canned for his behaviour. It sounds like his “people skills” are lacking.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

Something stinks in NYC. Now Bettman is setting the stage for a Quenneville return this coming season. IMO, Quenneville to coach the Rangers this year, even before reading this article and just seeing the headline: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/gary-bettman-to-meet-with-joel-quenneville-to-review-status-once-playoffs-end-1.1962521

Quenneville should be banned from coaching in the NHL 

• Agree 1

On 5/9/2023 at 6:58 PM, kas23 said:

Apparently Gallant can't. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.