Philly's woes...aren't going away anytime soon.

inkman

Some quotes I really liked from this article.

good read

"Defenseman Derian Hatcher, who turns 34 next month, has three years and $10.5 million remaining on his contract. Mike Rathje, who turns 32 next week, has four years and $14 million remaining on his deal."

"Both are 6-foot-5, 235 pounds, which, in the old NHL, was quite impressive. In the new NHL, they are the equivalent of two concrete posts worth $24.5 million."

And since every dollar you spend in a buyout counts against the NHL salary cap, the Flyers have no choice but to keep their two big blue liners and surround them with speed.

The one Flyers message (FlyersPhans?) had a number of threads earlier excited about the possibilities of buying out/releasing guys like Rathje, Hatcher, etc - all the big slow guys. Its great to see that they won't get themselves out of salary cap/roster trouble for a long time to come...

And since every dollar you spend in a buyout counts against the NHL salary cap, the Flyers have no choice but to keep their two big blue liners and surround them with speed.

The one Flyers message (FlyersPhans?) had a number of threads earlier excited about the possibilities of buying out/releasing guys like Rathje, Hatcher, etc - all the big slow guys. Its great to see that they won't get themselves out of salary cap/roster trouble for a long time to come...

Their franchise is in BIG, BIG trouble. They need a #1 Goalie. Shittyamakki and ecshe are not that. They won't have the cash to lure any free agent Goalies while resigning their own RFA. I see them hovering around .500 for a few years unless they make a serious youth movement and then I could see them even worse.

Some quotes I really liked from this article.

good read

"Defenseman Derian Hatcher, who turns 34 next month, has three years and $10.5 million remaining on his contract. Mike Rathje, who turns 32 next week, has four years and $14 million remaining on his deal."

"Both are 6-foot-5, 235 pounds, which, in the old NHL, was quite impressive. In the new NHL, they are the equivalent of two concrete posts worth $24.5 million."

Two concrete posts... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their franchise is in BIG, BIG trouble. They need a #1 Goalie. Shittyamakki and ecshe are not that. They won't have the cash to lure any free agent Goalies while resigning their own RFA. I see them hovering around .500 for a few years unless they make a serious youth movement and then I could see them even worse.

Wouldn't that be Shittymaki and Mesche?? :D

I know, I know, bad as hell, but I couldn't resist.

And to add insult to injury, the young players that the Flyers do have were no-shows for the series. Not a good sign.

Detroit, Toronto, Dallas, and the Rangers are all out of the playoffs. One line teams, with oversized slow players and high-paid rosters are shut out of the Stanley Cup tournament. The dinosaurs are extinct.

And to add insult to injury, the young players that the Flyers do have were no-shows for the series. Not a good sign.

Maybe it's my BU bias or the fact that their defense is so horrible, but I thought Freddy Meyer had a decent series.

Weren't the buy outs a one time thing? I thought that option was only available before this season.

Buyouts not counting against the Salary Cap were a 1 time thing.

Player contracts can still be bought out (at 2/3 or 1/3 cost, depending upon the contract size) but that buyout counts against the team's salary cap. It's my understanding that the cap hit is spread out over 2x the life of the contract, but I don't know that for certain.

IF that's the way it works, then for a team that wants to dump a player making $3MM / year with 2 years left;

they would pay the player $4MM (2/3 $3MM *2) and have $1MM less to spend on salaries than everyone else for the next 4 years.

Archived