Shades of 2001

PASabreFan

Am I crazy or does this feel like the Penguin series? We had that series under control and were on the verge of winning it in six when Lemieux scores that heaven-sent goal. After that, everything seemed inevitable. The Pens would win Game 6 in overtime. The Sabres would not hold a lead in the third period of Game 7. One more bizarre goal would do them in in overtime. I've had that paranoid feeling since Forsberg's goals in Game 3. Buffalo fans are in all their glory today. It just feels right, doesn't it? So familiar.

Well if Forsberg is reprising the role of Tucker, let's hope Forsberg's team meets the same fate as Tucker's. Does that make any sense? Does anyone else have fog brain today?

Good call, GGM. The Sabres got handled pretty good on the road in the first two games, came home and tied the series, lost a close game in Boston in Game 5, then lost the series back at the Aud.

Am I crazy or does this feel like the Penguin series? We had that series under control and were on the verge of winning it in six when Lemieux scores that heaven-sent goal. After that, everything seemed inevitable. The Pens would win Game 6 in overtime. The Sabres would not hold a lead in the third period of Game 7. One more bizarre goal would do them in in overtime. I've had that paranoid feeling since Forsberg's goals in Game 3. Buffalo fans are in all their glory today. It just feels right, doesn't it? So familiar.

Considering that without Forsberg's heroics (fluke and very well earned alike), the Phlyers would be setting up tee times with the Loafs, and considering that Forsberg did not look impressive for more than ~4 shifts total in the 1st 2 games when the Sabres had the option to match lines and did; I don't believe a Sabres loss is inevitable.

I am very disappointed that they let the Phlyers back in the series by not taking at least 1 in Filly, but am definitely looking forward to a great game tomorrow afternoon. My biggest concern for tomorrow is that the ice will be slush with the Bandits having played tonight. (Aside: does anyone know who won tonight?) If the ice is serviceable, the Sabres should win a good game. Filly does think they can compete right now (and in Game 4, they did) but I really think the last change will be the deciding factor.

If the Sabres contain Forsberg, I simply can't see the Phlyers winning tomorrow. Assuming the Sabres do win tomorrow, I would have a player (whomever) shadow Forsberg whenever he is on the ice. Each line should have 1 guy that will come back to the bench and tell Lindy how much Lutefisk Forsberg had for lunch. I don't care if the lines going against Forsberg get 0 shots on the net all game long, just control him (and his line) and I don't see the Phlyers having the speed (or skill) to win the other 40 minutes of the game when Forsberg is on the bench.

Considering that without Forsberg's heroics (fluke and very well earned alike), the Phlyers would be setting up tee times with the Loafs, and considering that Forsberg did not look impressive for more than ~4 shifts total in the 1st 2 games when the Sabres had the option to match lines and did; I don't believe a Sabres loss is inevitable.

I am very disappointed that they let the Phlyers back in the series by not taking at least 1 in Filly, but am definitely looking forward to a great game tomorrow afternoon. My biggest concern for tomorrow is that the ice will be slush with the Bandits having played tonight. (Aside: does anyone know who won tonight?) If the ice is serviceable, the Sabres should win a good game. Filly does think they can compete right now (and in Game 4, they did) but I really think the last change will be the deciding factor.

If the Sabres contain Forsberg, I simply can't see the Phlyers winning tomorrow. Assuming the Sabres do win tomorrow, I would have a player (whomever) shadow Forsberg whenever he is on the ice. Each line should have 1 guy that will come back to the bench and tell Lindy how much Lutefisk Forsberg had for lunch. I don't care if the lines going against Forsberg get 0 shots on the net all game long, just control him (and his line) and I don't see the Phlyers having the speed (or skill) to win the other 40 minutes of the game when Forsberg is on the bench.

An answer to your aside: The Bandits won.

Dave, is that the theme to the Andy Griffith Show you are whistling as you walk past Forest Lawn? Or maybe The Odd Couple? I like your optimism. You are definitely not welcome at the Nervous Nellies meeting tomorrow morning. We are going to discuss this stretch of magnificent weather and how it certainly means a bunch of devastating tornadoes in May.

By the way, for the longest time I couldn't figure out who Lutefisk Forsberg was.

I agree. I think home ice advantage is huge in this series and not because of the crowd. The ability to make the last change appears to be the difference in this series.

And let's hope the ice is in perfect condition in the HSBC tomorrow!

Gentlemen -- IMHO, today's game, and the rest of the series, will come down to the same factor that has driven our entire season: goaltending. If we get pre-Olympic and final-week-of-the-season Miller, we will win. If we get shaky Miller, it's thanks for the memories and holy cow do we need to get another goalie for next year.

I will freely admit that the team as a whole was a little too tight in games 3 and 4, we didn't convert on the PP or on breakaways, we didn't match up well against forsberg, etc. etc. However, winning hockey, esp. in the playoffs, always comes back to goaltending. If Miller had been at 100% sharpness in games 3 and 4, we would've swept those punks right outta the playoffs. He lets in a couple of softies, isn't sharp enough on a couple of more difficult shots, the wind goes out of the team's sails, and next thing you know we're back on our heels.

I think Miller will step up and we will win today. But he might not, and if he doesn't, we should all remember that this is the risk we took by going with a rookie goalie. It's pretty rare that a rookie goalie really takes his team on a long playoff run, so maybe it's not fair to expect too much out of Ryan, but that's how it is.

Also, it would be nice to get some production out of Max, who was after all our leading scorer in the regular season.

Go Sabres.

For some reason this reminds me of the Ottawa series that went 7 games, only this one is more exciting. I just can't see us losing. The boys are giving it everything they have. The problem is in no way lack of effort. If anything, they are trying too hard. These guys don't want the season to end, and it shows. I think they will win today and then who knows? Let's go Sabres!!!!

:D :D :D

Archived