All Star Weekend

Believer

53 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So you are saying the reason I think it’s bad is because I’m old, now, and the all star weekend is for kids? 

It’s as good a point as any. 

No I didn't say that.  I asked what ideas you have to improve the NHL all star weekend.  I have just decided to ignore it for the most part and wait for regular games to come back.  I liked the full games of east vs west (but I remember that was heavily criticized as well).

3 minutes ago, Digger said:

No I didn't say that.  I asked what ideas you have to improve the NHL all star weekend.  I have just decided to ignore it for the most part and wait for regular games to come back.  I liked the full games of east vs west (but I remember that was heavily criticized as well).

Was just kidding around (Though it being more for kids is likely true.)

- - - 

I think for me is it’s gone further downhill since it went to 3 v 3. I’ve said before even NHL regular season 3 v 3 little resembles hockey, and that I don’t like it. The all star incarnation of it obviously accentuates the flaws in it

• Thanks (+1) 1

Considering nobody is going to throw a check in the ASG & no contact 5v5 was beyond ridiculously bad & the ASG really is for the sponsors to be able to schmooze w/ the stars, actually find the 3v3 format a good choice for the ASG.

It's NOT real hockey.  Taking away the pretense that it IS real hockey is a good thing.  And the 3v3 IS entertaining in this single instance (YMMV).

But, the skills competition used to be fun.  They just keep making it dumber every year & flat out didn't watch any of it other than a couple of tweeted clips.  Not sure how to fix it, but it currently is awful.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Considering nobody is going to throw a check in the ASG & no contact 5v5 was beyond ridiculously bad & the ASG really is for the sponsors to be able to schmooze w/ the stars, actually find the 3v3 format a good choice for the ASG.

It's NOT real hockey.  Taking away the pretense that it IS real hockey is a good thing.  And the 3v3 IS entertaining in this single instance (YMMV).

But, the skills competition used to be fun.  They just keep making it dumber every year & flat out didn't watch any of it other than a couple of tweeted clips.  Not sure how to fix it, but it currently is awful.

That’s fair. I probably didn’t do a good job of explaining that my objection in the case of both regulation play and the all star game is that in addition to it not being “real” hockey I don’t find it to be particularly entertaining either. It reminds of the hockey at the local rink when the talented kids are at it 

• Haha (+1) 1

Here are some ideas for the skills competition:

Skating up and down your wing.

Defencive positioning.

Cycling the puck and maintaining possession.

Finishing your check.

Proper match-ups on an even-up rush.

Proper handling of an extra-man rush.

Defencemen choose when to go into the corner with the puck carrier.

Shot blocking.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
Thought of some more...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.