OT: Microsoft almost forced a Windows 11 upgrade on me

Marvin

31 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For others who don't trust any version x.0 of anyone -- my machine tried to force an upgrade on me this morning.  It took almost 15 minutes to get loose.

That stinks.  How did that attempted process begin / what was the trigger?  Asking to hopefully avoid your tribulations.  Planning on sticking w/ 10 u til they stop supporting it, so would be unhappy (understatement) if they forced that switch now.  Can rewind to a few days ago if necessary to undo it, but that's a hassle too.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

That stinks.  How did that attempted process begin / what was the trigger?  Asking to hopefully avoid your tribulations.  Planning on sticking w/ 10 u til they stop supporting it, so would be unhappy (understatement) if they forced that switch now.  Can rewind to a few days ago if necessary to undo it, but that's a hassle too.

It was automatic: I fired up my computer and it held me on a display for a free Windows 11 upgrade.  I had to patiently jump through a bunch of hoops.  Each time, I had to wait for the system to do something and then ask something about the upgrade again.

I am looking for a shortcut if it tries again.  If I find one, I will post it here.

• Thanks (+1) 1

***** Microsoft and ***** Apple and ***** Samsung ...

The bain of my existance.  Especially irksome when they promised that 10 would be the last version of Windows and they would just update it forever.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
more goodly ... I think
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:18 AM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For others who don't trust any version x.0 of anyone -- my machine tried to force an upgrade on me this morning.  It took almost 15 minutes to get loose.

Yes not a big fan of automatic updates.  I think the only way to control them is to turn off updates and then sort through what you want to allow.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:18 AM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Happened to me too.  I was trying to stop it but eventually let it upgrade.

I will admit I like it a lot and have had no issues from it whatsoever.  FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.