What Exactly Do Flyer Fans Want?

PTS

I hear their announcers, media, and fans all crying about the officiating and that it doesn't allowed for "real" hockey to be played?

So is real hockey all about hooking and holding?

Obviously real hockey doesn't mean physical hockey to these people because that game was one of the most physical games I've ever been to. However, the difference was it was the SABRES who took it to the Flyers. Those Philly scum probably didn't know how to handle it that their team was being man-handled by the "lil ole Sabres".

Face the Facts: You can't hit what you can't catch.

Go Sabres! Can't wait for Monday night!

I hear their announcers, media, and fans all crying about the officiating and that it doesn't allowed for "real" hockey to be played?

So is real hockey all about hooking and holding?

Obviously real hockey doesn't mean physical hockey to these people because that game was one of the most physical games I've ever been to. However, the difference was it was the SABRES who took it to the Flyers. Those Philly scum probably didn't know how to handle it that their team was being man-handled by the "lil ole Sabres".

Face the Facts: You can't hit what you can't catch.

Go Sabres! Can't wait for Monday night!

Like Hatcher said, the Flyers have a pre-lockout team. The Phlyer phaithful will cry about not being able to hold guys because that is the only trick they have left in their bag.

Stinks to be them.

Like Hatcher said, the Flyers have a pre-lockout team. The Phlyer phaithful will cry about not being able to hold guys because that is the only trick they have left in their bag.

Stinks to be them.

I think their fan sites are hysterical. I lurked in today. I can't get over what a bully they think Campbell is.

Campbell had to make that hit. He was already committed to move in, and if he didn't that would have been Philly's only odd man rush of the game.

I think their fan sites are hysterical. I lurked in today. I can't get over what a bully they think Campbell is.

Campbell had to make that hit. He was already committed to move in, and if he didn't that would have been Philly's only odd man rush of the game.

Yeah, I lurked at one of their sites and could barely stomach all of the whining about how it was Campbell's (yeah, big rough and tough Campbell) intent to injure, and how he left the ground with both feet. I've seen that replay a couple dozen times, and I don't see his blades leaving the ice. I think Umberger was a victim of circumstance and a "Perfect Storm" type hit. He appears to be OK, and that is good.

Philly fans bemoaning the classlessness of Buffalo fans was also a good larf.

After lurking for a while at a fan site this morning, I quickly moved from feeling disgusted (by their racist comments regarding Grier's play) to annoyed (by their comments regarding Campbell's "cheap shot") to amused (by their continuous whining over the penalties called).

If the penalties were such a big deal, why did neither coach address it in their postgame comments? Hitchcock certainly doesn't shy away from discussing the refs (to a degree), especially in a playoff series. While the Sabres got away with a couple plays (specifically, I remember Lydman or Tallinder catching a Flyer forward with a high stick near the net), Philly also got away with two or three cross-checks or roughing calls in front of the net after the whistle.

For all the talk about how tough and physical a game the Flyers were going to play, I didn't get the feeling that they out-muscled the Sabres throughout the game. They seemed to initiate a lot of scrums after the whistle, most of which they got the better of (Hatcher pretty much tossed aside Grier with one hand! He's an absolute BEAST). However, during play, I didn't feel like Philly was forechecking that well, at least not on a consistent basis...nor were they finishing checks consistently.

It will be interesting to see what adjustments Philly makes for Game 2.

Yeah, I lurked at one of their sites and could barely stomach all of the whining about how it was Campbell's (yeah, big rough and tough Campbell) intent to injure, and how he left the ground with both feet. I've seen that replay a couple dozen times, and I don't see his blades leaving the ice. I think Umberger was a victim of circumstance and a "Perfect Storm" type hit. He appears to be OK, and that is good.

Philly fans bemoaning the classlessness of Buffalo fans was also a good larf.

I think Campbell's skates may have left the ground, but if so, it wasn't until after the contact. Since Umberger was lower than Campbell when he hit him, and they were going in opposite directions, it makes sense that Umberger provided an upward force on Campbell when Campbell laid him out, enough so to bring him off the ground. But that doesn't make it any less of a clean hit.

I think Campbell's skates may have left the ground, but if so, it wasn't until after the contact. Since Umberger was lower than Campbell when he hit him, and they were going in opposite directions, it makes sense that Umberger provided an upward force on Campbell when Campbell laid him out, enough so to bring him off the ground. But that doesn't make it any less of a clean hit.

its all abuot physics.

i just watched the video of "the hit" again, and campbell didn't leave his feet to throw the hit. one leg came up after impact, but the left skate stayed on the ice. that was as clean and as textbook as an open ice hit can be. even umberger came out and said he has no hard feeling against campbell, that it was a clean hit.

Just another aside about the hit. Over on the Phlyers Phan board, there was a lot of whining about the hit being shown multiple times on the Jumbotron. (5+ times seems to be a common perception.) I was at the game and just watched the MSG version of that portion of the game and can honestly state I would like to know what drugs those guys (and the OLN guys that goaded them on) were smoking because it must be some reeeaaally incredible stuff.

The Jumbotron shows the game in real time, so the hit (most likely) made it to the jumbotron when it occurred. The hit was repeated ONCE about 4 minutes after Umberger went down (which was actually about 2 minutes after he skated off the ice) as the game was being delayed by Captain Kangaroo's continued discussion with the referees.

Apparently, the hit was then reshown during the intermission on the Jumbotron during the MSG intermission simulcast. (I was talking with some friends in the concourse and didn't see the simulcast.) Assuming the feed in the rink is the same one that went out to the home viewers, the hit was shown exactly 1 more time. About 4 seconds after showing the hit, Kevin Sylvester said (and this is paraphrasing) "Just so everyone knows, we were told Umberger is alright. We would not have shown that if he was injured."

So, I have no idea what the OLN guys (and Phlyer Phans) are whining about; as the hit (if you include showing it real time) was shown on the Jumbotron exactly 3 times. (Once real time, once during a Phlyer induced delay in the action, and once 15 minutes later with a disclaimer.) Also, if there are any Phlyer Lurkers out there, the Sabre fans DID cheer for Umberger when he got up.

OLN, the national feed, replayed the hit several times while Umberger was still layed out on the ice. But the Philly rockheads dismiss this as being part of the "media."

So I guess it's okay for national viewers to watch the hit over and over again before Umberger's condition was known, but the 18,000 fans who paid to watch the game didn't have the same right to see the replay, after Umberger skated off the ice. :blink:

These guys know that you can't coach speed, and their team is screwed. Like the Leaf fan who chimed in as a "partial" observer, they know that their high-priced talent can compete with the Sabres nobodies, so they bitch and moan at how unfair the refs are or how "classless" the Sabres fans are.

They're going to spend the rest of the series hoping that one of Clarke's thugs will take out one of Buffalo's skaters, because that's the only thing they've got going for them right now.

Just another aside about the hit. Over on the Phlyers Phan board, there was a lot of whining about the hit being shown multiple times on the Jumbotron. (5+ times seems to be a common perception.) I was at the game and just watched the MSG version of that portion of the game and can honestly state I would like to know what drugs those guys (and the OLN guys that goaded them on) were smoking because it must be some reeeaaally incredible stuff.

The Jumbotron shows the game in real time, so the hit (most likely) made it to the jumbotron when it occurred. The hit was repeated ONCE about 4 minutes after Umberger went down (which was actually about 2 minutes after he skated off the ice) as the game was being delayed by Captain Kangaroo's continued discussion with the referees.

Apparently, the hit was then reshown during the intermission on the Jumbotron during the MSG intermission simulcast. (I was talking with some friends in the concourse and didn't see the simulcast.) Assuming the feed in the rink is the same one that went out to the home viewers, the hit was shown exactly 1 more time. About 4 seconds after showing the hit, Kevin Sylvester said (and this is paraphrasing) "Just so everyone knows, we were told Umberger is alright. We would not have shown that if he was injured."

So, I have no idea what the OLN guys (and Phlyer Phans) are whining about; as the hit (if you include showing it real time) was shown on the Jumbotron exactly 3 times. (Once real time, once during a Phlyer induced delay in the action, and once 15 minutes later with a disclaimer.) Also, if there are any Phlyer Lurkers out there, the Sabre fans DID cheer for Umberger when he got up.

OLN, the national feed, replayed the hit several times while Umberger was still layed out on the ice. But the Philly rockheads dismiss this as being part of the "media."

So I guess it's okay for national viewers to watch the hit over and over again before Umberger's condition was known, but the 18,000 fans who paid to watch the game didn't have the same right to see the replay, after Umberger skated off the ice. :blink:

Well put.

That pretty much sums it up.

Yeah. But he now thinks he's Mark Messier :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ehhh, eff the Flyers and Umberger. But i'm going to guess that McCabe is going to get proven wrong about Peters not getting any playing time. Maybe not game 2, but going to Philly i would at least dress Peters.

"That's embarrassing," Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe said of Peters. "If he needs a foursome, he should call us. After all, he'll never see the ice once the playoffs start."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ehhh, eff the Flyers and Umberger. But i'm going to guess that McCabe is going to get proven wrong about Peters not getting any playing time. Maybe not game 2, but going to Philly i would at least dress Peters.

"That's embarrassing," Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe said of Peters. "If he needs a foursome, he should call us. After all, he'll never see the ice once the playoffs start."

McCabe, what a crybaby queerbait.

Maybe McCabe would like to get together with Peters for a threesome... :lol:

Yeah. But he now thinks he's Mark Messier :o

And "he didn't suffer a concussion". Yeah, right. I was watching Engblom on OLN try to explain how guys can be knocked unconscious for a few minutes but NOT suffer a concussion. It was actually pretty funny. "Now, I'm not a Dr., but I've been told ...".

And "he didn't suffer a concussion". Yeah, right. I was watching Engblom on OLN try to explain how guys can be knocked unconscious for a few minutes but NOT suffer a concussion. It was actually pretty funny. "Now, I'm not a Dr., but I've been told ...".

It CAN happen that way. I got hit once in a game where I couldn't see for a few seconds, and when I could, it was nothing but stars for about a minute or so. I missed two shifts after that.

Archived