Oldest living Sabre/s

PASabreFan

I appreciate all the reminders. We've had these threads before. I'm looking for the definitive list, not just the "OTTOMH" variety.

If we had 10 posters join the effort, we could each do c. 50 Sabres. I think right now we might have three people willing to do the leg work.

I am also going to check some important people I remember: Joe Crozier, Frank Christie, Jim Pizzutelli, Pat Hannigan, etc.

Mods, can we have this pinned?  I think it is important that we remember these people from years gone by.  Younger fans can learn a bit about them and we older fans can reminisce.  Anyone else remember Hannu Virta?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I appreciate all the reminders. We've had these threads before. I'm looking for the definitive list, not just the "OTTOMH" variety.

If we had 10 posters join the effort, we could each do c. 50 Sabres. I think right now we might have three people willing to do the leg work.

I’d be willing to help!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Don't forget Floyd Smith, who took the first face-off ever in Sabres history and was coach in the great years. He's 86. 

Three more discovered deceased: Steve Atkinson, Mike Byers, Chris Evans, all from the class of 71-72. 

Whoever else is compiling this list can use this running count as of now:

Steve Atkinson, Ken Breitenbach, Mike Byers, Roger Crozier, Paul Cyr, Richie Dunn, Chris Evans, Reggie Fleming, Norm Gratton, Dale Hawerchuk, Tim Horton, Tom Kurvers, Danny Lawson, Real Lemieux, Rick Martin, Larry Mickey, Steve Montador, Kevin O’Shea, Jacques Richard, Rene Robert, Doug Rombough, Cliff Schmautz, Eddie Shack, Al Smith, Brian Spencer, Paul Terbenche, Denis Tsygurov and Vladimir Tsyplakov. 

Edited by Kong

@PASabreFan If you want to make this easy on yourself, get a copy of the Official NHL Guide & Record Book.  (Presuming it still is published in print or electronic form.)

It has a listing of ALL retired NHLers and what team(s) they played for with an * by the names of all the deceased ones.  It'll reduce your obit search to the past few months if it still gets published.

Here's some mixed action clips on Brian Spencer RIP from the film "Gross Misconduct.". There's also a book by the same title about Spencer. You may have read that Spencer's father Roy was shot and killed in front of CKPG Radio/TV on the night of Brian's NHL debut. Roy had forcefully entered the station, held up the eight staff working that night and tried to get them to broadcast the Leaf's game with Spinner's debut when he was shot and killed.

Edited by Kong

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.