Derek Roy sent

IKnowPhysics

So let's see...two days before the regular season starts, Darcy still has a roster with 3 goalies(once again) and Pyatt and Connolly over Roy.

Darcy...just admit when you're wrong. You were enamored with Pyatt & Connolly who were both top 10 picks. They turned out to be 4th liners at best. It's okay to cut them and move on.

PS Is Roy the latest whipping boy for Ruff because he doesn't play enough defense? Mark my word...it won't be long before Vanek ends up in the Ruff doghouse. Ruff couldn't develop an offensive talent if his life depended on it.

yeah, I thought ROY deserved an opening spot. Guastad for sure (which looks likely). But at least Derek doesn't have to clear waivers.

Connolly better provide some "goods". Pyatt too for that matter. :o

I have to believe that is the only reason that Roy was sent down - he could be.

In the linked article, they mention they like Connolly at the point on the power play. Didn't they try that in the past and have it end up more or less a disaster? Oh well, if they're going with him, I hope they're right this time.

Dave.

So let's see...two days before the regular season starts, Darcy still has a roster with 3 goalies(once again) and Pyatt and Connolly over Roy.

Darcy...just admit when you're wrong.  You were enamored with Pyatt & Connolly who were both top 10 picks.  They turned out to be 4th liners at best.  It's okay to cut them and move on. 

PS Is Roy the latest whipping boy for Ruff because he doesn't play enough defense?  Mark my word...it won't be long before Vanek ends up in the Ruff doghouse.  Ruff couldn't develop an offensive talent if his life depended on it.

I don't think so. I think this was simply a case of them being afraid (for whatever reason) that they would lose Connolly or Pyatt in the waiver draft and Roy was able to be sent down without clearing waivers. To be honest, I would have been very surprised had Roy made the opening day roster although I think he deserved to make it. I expect him to be one of the 1st, if not the 1st call up from the forward ranks.

Dave.

Guest Kristian
The Sabres are proving YET AGAIN how much of a joke they are by sending Roy down.

Smooth Move Regier :angry:

I would say something like "this is getting ridiculous", but I'd be wrong.

It's been ridiculous for a long time now. I'm starting to remember that December were The Sabres lost 7 in a row that had me thinking "Ok, if you're gonna lose, please lose another 10 or 15 so that Ruff gets fired".

I would say something like "this is getting ridiculous", but I'd be wrong.

It's been ridiculous for a long time now. I'm starting to remember that December were The Sabres lost 7 in a row that had me thinking "Ok, if you're gonna lose, please lose another 10 or 15 so that Ruff gets fired".

Regier? A bad joke that just gets worse. :lol:

You have to laugh. It keeps you from crying :blink:

http://www.sabres.com/newsarchive.cfm?id=142

I'm not 100% behind this move. I was hoping he'd have the chance to break out this year, displacing Tiny Tim, if not keeping himself from being replaced by Paul Gaustad.

Gaustad is the player Pyatt was supposed to be.

And why are the Sabres exposing Bartovic? He's better then Connolly and Pyatt. But since he's not part of the Peca trade who cares if we lose him.

I think this was simply a case of them being afraid (for whatever reason) that they would lose Connolly or Pyatt in the waiver draft

So the Sabres may have lost Connolly or Pyatt if they attempted to send them to Rochester...and this would hurt the team in what way? :o

So the Sabres may have lost Connolly or Pyatt if they attempted to send them to Rochester...and this would hurt the team in what way? :o

Didn't say I agreed with it. The poster had asked why it had happened, not should it have happened.

Dave.

I don't understand.

This is not right.

How does Derek NOT make the team?

After last season in Rochester I thought he and Vanek would be certain for roster spots.

Connolly and Pyatt better produce. More so Timmy because he is taking Miro's spot on the PP, so there are no excuses for him. Not even another concussion. In fact, I almost wish another one on him just so Roy can get the spot he deserves. I'm pissed.

Guest Daryl Douglas

Just remember Tiny Tim is obviously 1 hit away from ending his career.

Once the Sabres trade 1 of these goalies, Derek will be back up, and hopefully the right people will see Taylor Pyatt dogging it.

Go Sabres

Once the Sabres trade 1 of these goalies, Derek will be back up, and hopefully the right people will see Taylor Pyatt dogging it.

Go Sabres

Not necessarily. Mair is definitely staying with the big team and Peters is expected to stay as the team goon. Add those 2, subtract 1 goalie, and you have 23 players which is the limit. Heck, there's even the outside possibility that the Sabres get a player for the goalie and one of the other 23 gets sent down as well. (I SAID it was an OUTSIDE POSSIBILITY, not that I EXPECT it to happen.)

I do expect to see Roy back before the season is done (ideally by November), but I don't expect to see him back just because the extra goalie is gone.

Dave.

Not necessarily. Mair is definitely staying with the big team and Peters is expected to stay as the team goon. Add those 2, subtract 1 goalie, and you have 23 players which is the limit. Heck, there's even the outside possibility that the Sabres get a player for the goalie and one of the other 23 gets sent down as well. (I SAID it was an OUTSIDE POSSIBILITY, not that I EXPECT it to happen.)

I do expect to see Roy back before the season is done (ideally by November), but I don't expect to see him back just because the extra goalie is gone.

Dave.

Is it possible (just hypothetically) that Gaustaud only made the team to take Peters' spot until he returns from injury? And that maybe Roy will come up when Peters gets back? I'm not sure if Goose has to clear waivers to go back down to Rochester or not...

It just seems that with Mair, Goose, and Peters, we may a little overwhelmed with goons. It would make sense (at least to me) to sacrifice one for Derek.

Guest Kristian

Go Sabres

Any chance of that hit coming in practice?

Yeah right, we should be so lucky.

yea that kid worked hard last year to earn his roster spot... while connolly and pyatt floated... a damn crime is what this is... ah well... at least he goes straight down and not waivers.

I assume that you're talking about the 03-04 season? Connolly missed the entire year. Also, I read a comment from Roy earlier today in the Rochester D&C where he said that he probably wasn't playing up to his abilities in training camp (or something to that effect). Maybe he didn't work as hard as you think he did.

Anyway, he belongs on the roster, and he will be soon enough. For now, its just a matter of sending down the guy who you don't have to place on waivers. It happens all the time in sports.

This move was all about keeping assets within the organization. I'm sure if the world was a perfect place Roysie would be in the NHL but the Sabres couldn't expose one of their assets like Pyatt or Connolly ( :blink: ) to waivers. Okay, I'll drink some more coffee and get back to you on this. :unsure:

Thats just it, he don't have to clear waivers. Plus I'd like to give Connolly 20 games before pulling the plug on him.

Why does Connolly deserve 20 games? Pyatt for that matter? Isn't a little strange how these two get chance after chance, continue to fail, and get more chances. While players like Roy, Bartovic and Kotilik get the boot evey time they make one mistake.

Archived