If you were GMKA, what is the most you would pay Reinhart to extend?

nfreeman

If you were GMKA, how much would you pay Reinhart to extend?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What's he worth to ya?

• Would not extend him -- I want to trade him this summer
    • Less than 5 years x $5MM per year
    • 5 years x $5MM per year
    • 6 years x $6MM per year
    • 7 years x $7MM per year
    • 8 years x $8MM per year
    • More than 8 years x $8MM per year

25 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It depends on your team and the AAV you can get them to agree to. You have to be somewhat discerning in who gets them and, ideally, you reserve them for those cornerstone players and you have those players sign them at 24 or sooner.  There has to be some built in roster churn and that means you will move good players out to bring in different, good, younger players.  It means you will bring in older vets on short term deals realizing you may not want to keep them past that 1 or 2 year deal no matter how good they are for you. Basically it means you need to be a well run organization that can identify talent.

The Sabres will probably give Reinhart 7 years because they aren't well run and they will be afraid of the hole in the roster and the backlash they will get.

Let's flip the question around. Someone tell me a long term deal the Sabres have handed to a player 26 or older that has worked out well.  

Ryan Miller might be the most recent 

A contract that carries a player into their 30s is good, or bad, only dependent on the asset in question in each individual case.

- - - 

Pominville had questions about his speed and skating like Sam. Like Sam, Pominville was an Iron Man - they don’t miss games. Even in Pommer’s (my Avatar, btw, credit to Josie) age 34 season he had 47 points in 78 games. 

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I don't think Minnesota was glad to have given him the additional 5 year extension they gave him at 32.  I did say I'd give Sam 5 years which takes him to 31.  

See above. A deal into his 32-33 is fine 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

It doesn’t matter what he makes relative to the cap what matters is what he makes relative to other players. He has the 8th highest forward contract in the league right now. Until that changes, significantly, it’s not a bargain. 

Right now we’d need to put a fair bit of spin on it to classify it as even “good”, never mind “bargain”. 

Scheifele is on a bargain contract. 

Perhaps not Scheifele level, but in those final 2 years of Eichel's deal (28-29 years old, still putting up 70+ points/season barring injury, lots of PP time) I think everything is trending toward a cap above 100M. A wave of players (many on bridges now, plus anyone who negotiates here during the flat cap should be doing Hall-like 1-year deals) is going to get paid. 10M will be the new 7M and we'll see 50 players with higher salaries than Eichel. The TV contract cash flood is coming.

Heck, because it's the Reinhart thread, in 2 years if Reinhart puts up 70+ point seasons and... wham... he won't be the biggest name on UFA, but he could still get more than 10M because that'll simply be the going price for any first liner. It'll simply be the going rate for a guy like "Ryan Johansen" to pull an 8M guy from the current list.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted in another thread, but it belongs here:

Sam Reinhart has 9 goals and 5 assists in the past 15 games, putting up a -2 with (the corpse of) Jeff Skinner and Victor (not good 5-on-5) Olofsson while learning how to play a position he hasn't played in years, and in a first line role.

I'm not certain exactly when he got switched to centre, but since March 31, the only centres with more points than Sam Reinhart are McKinnon, Matthews, Tavares, Crosby and Zibanejad. The only centre with more goals is Matthews.

Remember all of those years we've been begging for a real 2C? He's here, you're watching him.

Sam is pretty ***** good. (Just re-sign this guy. Please.)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.