Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Experience is a valuable asset for teaching in the regular season too.  I might argue that you need the experience to get to the point where you can bring up playoffs in the conversation, so waiting for when you are a contender to bring in experience means you are always going to be waiting.

Sure.  Let's do that too.  We have plenty of bottom 6 guys who never knew or never experienced winning in the NHL.  I'm good with swapping them out to make it happen.

I dont disagree about experience, but that's now an offseason move, not for a rental this late in the season.

44 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont disagree about experience, but that's now an offseason move, not for a rental this late in the season.

Disagree.  There is benefit now, even if it isn't playoffs.

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Disagree.  There is benefit now, even if it isn't playoffs.

I appreciate your dedication to the veteran mentor conversation. I still don't know if that is truly what ails the Sabres, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

9 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

I appreciate your dedication to the veteran mentor conversation. I still don't know if that is truly what ails the Sabres, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement here.  I believe that good veteran mentoring is one of the major things missing from the Sabre roster.  Pominville is not enough.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement here.  I believe that good veteran mentoring is one of the major things missing from the Sabre roster.  Pominville is not enough.

Agreed. Always good to have a positive role model. Good habits and work ethic inspire some and shame others. Sabres need both.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I’ve been saying this team needs a veteran leader who is actually capable on the ice for about two years now but every time I suggest somebody I get the whole “his age doesn’t fit this team’s timeline” thing. I’ve raged against that because literally zero percent of good teams in the history of this game have had a roster made up entirely of players on the same development timeline.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’ve been saying this team needs a veteran leader who is actually capable on the ice for about two years now but every time I suggest somebody I get the whole “his age doesn’t fit this team’s timeline” thing. I’ve raged against that because literally zero percent of good teams in the history of this game have had a roster made up entirely of players on the same development timeline.

I've been in this same boat for a while.  Okposo should have been that guy, but his play went off a cliff.  I was always on him for being overrated, but the exact thing this team needs right now is the Chris Drury type.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Here's my issue, it is about just getting a good veteran player. It is about getting the right one who is good enough on the ice that he can tell everyone off the ice to get their s#1t in order. 

Have we not had veterans on the roster over the past decade?  

2 minutes ago, ... said:

not anyone good who can take the bull by the horns. No office to Pommers but he may be decent but he isn't an in your face leader and they need an in your face, no bs, consequences if you step out of line, leader. 

42 minutes ago, ... said:

Not enough at any one point in time IMO.

You can’t sprinkle one or two in because their contribution gets lost in the noise (Brian Gionta for example).  You need a veteran group.

You're all missing the point where Hoss said the vet needs to be "actually capable on the ice".  You need more than just a voice.  It needs to be a voice who can actually contribute.  A name like Justin Williams is what comes to mind, granted this team would need someone a bit younger.  But yeah, someone like that when he was 32-34 years old.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's my issue, it is about just getting a good veteran player. It is about getting the right one who is good enough on the ice that he can tell everyone off the ice to get their s#1t in order. 

Right - a guy like Jaromir Jagr for the Panthers or Marian Hossa back in the Blackhawks cup days. Doesn't necessarily have to be in your face, but a guy with enough talent to still be a top 6 player who can demonstrate how to go about being a winner.

Problem is, for every one Jagr there are 10+ Okposo/Moulson players who fall off the cliff and can't back up the mentoring with their play.

38 minutes ago, shrader said:

You're all missing the point where Hoss said the vet needs to be "actually capable on the ice".  You need more than just a voice.  It needs to be a voice who can actually contribute.  A name like Justin Williams is what comes to mind, granted this team would need someone a bit younger.  But yeah, someone like that when he was 32-34 years old.

It can be a double edge sword though, Justin Williams is one of the reasons Skinner wanted out of Carolina. 

You are right in the Sabres needing a strong veteran presence for this team however. 

2 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Right - a guy like Jaromir Jagr for the Panthers or Marian Hossa back in the Blackhawks cup days. Doesn't necessarily have to be in your face, but a guy with enough talent to still be a top 6 player who can demonstrate how to go about being a winner.

Problem is, for every one Jagr there are 10+ Okposo/Moulson players who fall off the cliff and can't back up the mentoring with their play.

If I were JBOT I would sign Jagr right now.  He should have done it last summer, IMO.

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

If I were JBOT I would sign Jagr right now.  He should have done it last summer, IMO.

He’s playing overseas in Czech again. Score 18 minutes into the first period his first game back (He’s 47 now).

• Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

He’s playing overseas in Czech again. Score 18 minutes into the first period his first game back (He’s 47 now).

I think he could be loured (he, oh @Weave) back for another year, or two.  He is a very young 47 though, eh.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Should have done this while Chiarelli was employed. 

Jack is the level of physicality I'm seeking at a minimum in my skill guys. RNH is considerably below that. 

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Should have done this while Chiarelli was employed. 

Why, So Edmonton would feel compelled to throw in their 1st next year and take Okposo too? They dont need Chiarelli in place to make a hockey trade of a swap of those 2 players.

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Why, So Edmonton would feel compelled to throw in their 1st next year and take Okposo too? They dont need Chiarelli in place to make a hockey trade of a swap of those 2 players.

Most competent GMs would not trade RNH for Risto, that’s why.

Read the replies to that Tweet, Edmonton Fans would not be happy if it’s 1 for 1 

Do we know that Botterill talked to the Coyotes about ROR?

Around 4:30

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do we know that Botterill talked to the Coyotes about ROR?

Around 4:30

Yes

I believe they went into after July 2nd Category.