armchair GM

sweetlou

Lou, I like some of your ideas, but I think some of these trades will be hard to execute. The ROR deal to STL is interesting, but I think it needs more pieces to get it done. No way Pitt gives us Rust and Sheahan for McCabe and Larsson, although Pitt probably saves some cap. By the way Nelson’s 3 year deal would have to be about 1.95 (650K per year). Did you mean 2 years at $750K? I also don’t think Carlson signs anywhere without get 7.5 per season. He had 68 pts this season (in a career year admittedly), but Wash will likely do everything they can to keep him. Would DeHaan work as a substitute. He’ll be cheaper and maybe a better compliment to Dahlin.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Lou, I like some of your ideas, but I think some of these trades will be hard to execute. The ROR deal to STL is interesting, but I think it needs more pieces to get it done. No way Pitt gives us Rust and Sheahan for McCabe and Larsson, although Pitt probably saves some cap. By the way Nelson’s 3 year deal would have to be about 1.95 (650K per year). Did you mean 2 years at $750K? I also don’t think Carlson signs anywhere without get 7.5 per season. He had 68 pts this season (in a career year admittedly), but Wash will likely do everything they can to keep him. Would DeHaan work as a substitute. He’ll be cheaper and maybe a better compliment to Dahlin.

I think ROR to St. Louis makes sense. They need another center to compliment Schenn.  A replacement for the loss of Stastny.  Could there be some prospects thrown in the trade either way, yeah I guess so.

The main reason for the Pitt trade is they need players under contract relatively cheap. I think Sheahan gets traded because he will get about $3mil AAV and they just picked up Brassard for their third line center.  Larsson fits the mold of a rat they can use on the fourth line and kills penalties.  McCabe gives them depth.

As a UFA Nelson will be able to demand more on the open market. If Buffalo wants him they will have to pay a little bit more than if he was an RFA.

If Carlson wants $7.5 than you give it.  We need a true #1 defenseman. This slides Risto to the 2nd pairing.  This is also based on us drafting Dahlin as he is a LD.  We have Scandella for two years so we wouldn't need to rush Dahlin's development.

But imagine in two years a d core of 

Dahlin- Carlson

Guhle- Risto

Borgen- Nelson

DeHaan is a steady 4-5 defenseman but we need more skill.  

I think ROR to St. Louis makes sense. They need another center to compliment Schenn. A replacement for the loss of Stastny. Could there be some prospects thrown in the trade either way, yeah I guess so.

The main reason for the Pitt trade is they need players under contract relatively cheap. I think Sheahan gets traded because he will get about $3mil AAV and they just picked up Brassard for their third line center. Larsson fits the mold of a rat they can use on the fourth line and kills penalties. McCabe gives them depth.

As a UFA Nelson will be able to demand more on the open market. If Buffalo wants him they will have to pay a little bit more than if he was an RFA.

If Carlson wants $7.5 than you give it. We need a true #1 defenseman. This slides Risto to the 2nd pairing. This is also based on us drafting Dahlin as he is a LD. We have Scandella for two years so we wouldn't need to rush Dahlin's development.

But imagine in two years a d core of

Dahlin- Carlson

Guhle- Risto

Borgen- Nelson

DeHaan is a steady 4-5 defenseman but we need more skill.

But who is your 2nd line center? Mittelstadt isn’t close to ready for that responsibility and Sheahan isn’t good enough. That said trading ROR to STL might work.

I do agree that Pitt is going to trade Sheahan, but I’m not sure he works here short or long term for his price point.

I worked this out on capfriendly

Girgensons and our 2nd in 2019 to Pitt for Rust and their 4th in 2020. Sign Rust for 3years at 3.5per

Trade Larsson to Dal for a 4th

Trade McCabe to LA for Tobias Rieder. Sign Rieder for 2 years at 2.5 per

Sign de Haan 3 years at 3.5 per season or 4 yrs at 4.0

Win Lottery and draft Dahlin

Sign Halak 2 yrs at 3.5 per

Re-sign Smith, Nelson, O’Regan, Baptiste, Bailey, and Wilson (all one or two years deal from 650 to 750 per season)

Buyout Bogo cap cost 1.142

Sign one more depth D

Lineup

Rieder Eichel Rust

Smith ROR Reinhart

Erod Mittelstadt Okposo

Wilson O’Regan Baptiste

Pommers/Bailey

DeHaan Risto

Scandella Dahlin

Guhle Nelson

Baloo

Ullmark

Halak

Cost 71.5 to 72.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think one of Okposo or ROR gets moved this off season. The return on ROR would be greater that is why I think he will be moved.  Looking at teams that have young centers under 25 who may be up for new contracts in the next few years I have compiled a list below.  I think the Sabres need a second line center who can compliment Jack not fight over the ice time a #1 center should be getting.  

JT Miller from Tampa is and RFA who will probably get around $5 mil AAV.  He definitely has the speed JBots is looking for.  Tampa has a lot of young talent in Kucherov, Point and Gourde that they will need to sign after next year so I don't see them being able to give Miller a long term deal.  I think if you trade them a prospect and pick we would be able to get him.

Ryan Hartman from Nashville is an RFA RW.  I think he would be a stud on Jack's wing. Big, physical forward with speed.  Nashville probably resigns him for about $3mil AAV, but I think he would be great in a Sabres uniform.

Sam Bennett from Calgary could be an interesting pick up as a 2/3 center.

Thomas Hertl from SanJose.

Kevin Hayes from Boston. 

So looking at teams that have cap space that could take on ROR or Okposo and possible returns.

Okposo-

1. Carolina- Justin Faulk

2. Arizona- Max Domi

3. NY Rangers- Mats Zuccarello, 3rd rd pick for Okposo and Fasching

4. Vancouver- Brandon Sutter

ROR-

1. Arizona- Christian Dvorak

2. NY Rangers- Kevin Hayes, Mats Zuccarello, 2nd rd pick for ROR and Fasching

3. Vancouver- Bo Horvat

4. NJ Devils- Miles Wood and Pavel Zacha

5. San Jose- Tomas Hertl

6. Anaheim- Josh Manson or Brandon Montour

I think beyond assembling competent hockey players who can follow a blueprint, you need players who have unquestioned loyalty to the city of Buffalo. This is an ingrediant that has been missing from many Sabre players, who are in reality mercenaries. (A mercenary or soldier of fortune. One is a soldier who can be hired and will fight if the money paid is high enough.) 

Look at the loyalty of the Maple Leafs. I know they haven't won a playoff series since 2003 and haven't been to the Stanley Cup Finals since 1967 but check out their response to yesterday's van attack in TO.

https://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-force-game-7-with-emotional-win-for-city-1.1066030. The Leafs are being led by a 20 year old native Torontonian, the diabolically clever Mitchell Marner.

You NEED more Buffalonians on this roster. There is much talent in Buffalo. I'd like to stack the lineup with area players. Buffalonians are the only ones who really stick up for Buffalo. Despite the lip service, Buffalo means nothing but a fat paycheck to most of these hired guns, who'd just assume play somewhere else for probably less money.

While I don’t agree that should be our focus, it should be a consideration. Iafalo for example needed to be a Sabre. Sadly we stink and he took his talents elsewhere.

We have added a few locals like Marcus Foligno, Bailey and Malone in recent years, but other then Kane we also haven’t produced Marner quality talent.

Still I love the idea of grabbing local talent when we can but we also need to give them a reason to want to play here.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Think Chicago would ever part with Kane??

ROR, Bogo, Larsson, and Fasching for Seabrook and Kane???

I know we would have Seabrook cap hit, but his real money is not that bad.  

Imagine Kane playing on the right side with Mittelstadt!!!

Make it stop!  You can't give up your crap for another team's gold.  In what world is RoR the main part of a trade that lands you one of the best wingers in hockey?

Just because you offer 4 players for 2 doesnt mean it's a good trade for Chicago.  Bogo is always hurt and even when he plays, he's a way over paid 4th defenseman.  Larsson? do you really think Chicago has any use for him? 4th line players are a dime a dozen and Larsson is in that category.  Fasching can barely break the 4th line in Rochester these days and didnt he get scratched in 1 or both the playoff games?

If you plan on landing Kane + Seabrook, the offer probably has to start at no less than RoR, Risto, Mittelstadt and a 1st.  That will at least keep Chicago on the phone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.