Anyone Else Worried about Okposo

GASabresIUFAN

It's really unfortunate and sad that his career has derailed with injuries/maladies: multiple concussions and the ICU scare last summer. Oki-pos-obi needs to take the entire summer off and re-evaluate what's best for him and his family. If we lose him, that's bad for us -- he was starting to round back into form and was a good linemate with Jack.   x-Eichel-Okposo; x-O'Reilly-Reinhart looked to be 1-2 next season. But the Sabres can always move on and find new players (that's their business), a person and his/her family can't just move on with severe brain trauma.

So, he's got to do what's best for him. And if that's retirement: good. Go for it. Choose life.

Crosby had whiplash and irritated his occipital nerves. I know this because my daughter had two head injuries last year and we are going through the same thing. It's been 9 months and she still has daily headaches caused by these nerves being compressed at the base of her skull. The steroids that helped Crosby get back on the ice after the proper diagnosis, only partially helped her.

I am so sorry to hear about daughter. I hope she gets well soon. My youngest had vertigo for nearly half her jr year in high school and there is nothing worse the seeing a child suffer a cronic head aliment. Best wishes.

Crosby had whiplash and irritated his occipital nerves. I know this because my daughter had two head injuries last year and we are going through the same thing. It's been 9 months and she still has daily headaches caused by these nerves being compressed at the base of her skull. The steroids that helped Crosby get back on the ice after the proper diagnosis, only partially helped her.

Interesting.  That would be different than a concussion then.  It sounds scary as hell however and your poor daughter is not having as much luck.

While this is true, KO's first reported concussion landed him in the ICU and IIRC he lost a lot of weight as well as had other symptoms. As you say, I'm sure KO will make the right decision based on expert medical opinions and the advice of his family. 

Wasn't he in the ICU because of a reaction to the medication and not just the concussion?  My guess is that they'll find another way to treat him this time.

Sucks to hear he's got another concussion. 

I've been pretty consistent about this.  The rest of your life is too important to play hockey.

We are going to miss your skill set dearly, Kyle, but this is your sign.  Walk away and enjoy the rest of your life relatively symptom free.  One more goal ain't worth it, and you don't need the paychecks, I'll bet.

Interesting.  That would be different than a concussion then.  It sounds scary as hell however and your poor daughter is not having as much luck.

Wasn't he in the ICU because of a reaction to the medication and not just the concussion?  My guess is that they'll find another way to treat him this time.

You may be right - I thought it was both a reaction to the meds in combination with concussion symptoms and a total loss of appetite. 

He has 5 years to go at $6MM per year?

He’s not walking away from that. Nobody would.

Hopefully he gets whatever medical certification he needs to get him paid but still allows him to retire.

NHL contracts are guaranteed.  He'll get his money regardless.  If not medically cleared to play again, he still won't "officially" retire until the contract expires.  He'll remain on LTIR, just like McCormick did and hopefully the Sabres insured his contract.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.