Disney with Espn taking over Fox Sports programming

North Buffalo

So its its being reported that Disney is taking over Fox Sports and on twitter lots of concern of the effect on Fox’s regional hockey coverage given ESPN’s history of dumping hockey coverage. Any insite or comments to discuss..

Edited by Kottbullar

So its its being reported that Disney is taking over Fox Sports and on twitter lots of concern of the effect on Fox’s regional hockey coverage given ESPN’s history of dumping hockey coverage. Any insite or comments to discuss..

I'm looking forward to a very-Goofy-like animated version of Mike Milbury.

I'd think local team coverage of hockey makes enough money to keep it around (otherwise there'd probably be a few teams that don't broadcast every game). I don't feel like hockey translates to national audiences as well though which is why ESPN kept cutting back coverage. These days with the all-singing all-dancing sports coverage on the net, I don't really care what ESPN covers.

LTS PM me stating, "I am now reading yet ANOTHER story, this one one ESPN, that says the regional sports networks ARE included but Fox Sports 1 and 2 are not. So they will be part of the ESPN network. I would post it in the thread but it's locked."    

I have reopened the thread as a result, thinking it could use further clarification and discussion...  Thank you LTS for bringing this to my attention...

LTS PM me stating, "I am now reading yet ANOTHER story, this one one ESPN, that says the regional sports networks ARE included but Fox Sports 1 and 2 are not. So they will be part of the ESPN network. I would post it in the thread but it's locked."    

I have reopened the thread as a result, thinking it could use further clarification and discussion...  Thank you LTS for bringing this to my attention...

The stories I saw yesterday are consistent with what LTS wrote.

The Fox RSNs are reportedly valued at $20 billion – almost 40 percent of the total cost of the entire Disney-Fox transaction.

This would also put Disney back in the hockey business for the first time since 2004. Disney was also the original ownership group of the Anaheim Ducks – then the Anaheim Mighty Ducks – when they came into being 25 years ago.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/14/how-the-disney-fox-deal-affects-local-sports-coverage/

Sadly, as a non-ESPN guy (sports preferences not this new political angle), they are getting F1 next year too.  

mickey_skates.gif

A lot of industry analysts aren't sure where this is going with Disney's desire to own the RSN's, since many of them are big liabilities since they have huge rights agreement contracts with various teams to carry the games, often with strict stipulations that they are only carried on the specific RSN and through pay cable (i.e. no internet broadcast). With the proliferation of cable cord cutting and de-bundling "sports packages" these networks are at risk to lose a lot of subscribers and only keep the hardcore fans.

Then again, Disney's media CEO is lauded as a forward thinking, smart guy so maybe there is a different play here that we don't see...

A lot of industry analysts aren't sure where this is going with Disney's desire to own the RSN's, since many of them are big liabilities since they have huge rights agreement contracts with various teams to carry the games, often with strict stipulations that they are only carried on the specific RSN and through pay cable (i.e. no internet broadcast). With the proliferation of cable cord cutting and de-bundling "sports packages" these networks are at risk to lose a lot of subscribers and only keep the hardcore fans.

Then again, Disney's media CEO is lauded as a forward thinking, smart guy so maybe there is a different play here that we don't see...

Disney has long been rumored to be working towards offering ESPN over the top (i.e. via internet without cable). Perhaps the RSN's could be bundled to make it more attractive. The cost is likely to be extortionate.

The stories I saw yesterday are consistent with what LTS wrote.

That's fair.. given that I seem to have covered both sides adequately.. first they weren't included, then they were.  I made perfect sense!  Ugh.  Although, what I read in the first article was not fully clear.  Fox Sports 1 and 2 stay with Fox.  the RSNs move.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.