exploring the idea of John Tavares as a Buffalo Sabre

JohnRobertEichel

On paper, Buffalo shouldn't really be on the list. If you're not following the team obsessively and hopelessly negative, the Sabres have 2 solid centers (Eichel and O'Reilly), with Reinhart (and Mittelstadt, if you're paying attention) as up and coming centers, so getting in on another expensive center seems like a bad decision given the team needs of D and wings.

On paper, Buffalo shouldn't really be on the list. If you're not following the team obsessively and hopelessly negative, the Sabres have 2 solid centers (Eichel and O'Reilly), with Reinhart (and Mittelstadt, if you're paying attention) as up and coming centers, so getting in on another expensive center seems like a bad decision given the team needs of D and wings.

That is why I said earlier, only of O'Reilly gets traded you have room for him.

That is why I said earlier, only of O'Reilly gets traded you have room for him.

Actually, I crunched some numbers and found that the Sabres would have the room to sign Tavares AND keep O'Reilly along with Eichel, Okposo, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and Scandella. I used an estimated $80 million cap for my back-of-the-envelope estimate. I even assumed we were holding on to dead weight like Bogosian, Moulson, Pominville, and Beaulieu.

It's all very possible to imagine if you factor in the likelihood that Kane and Lehner are gone next season and that several of our inexpensive prospects make the NHL squad full time (Nylander, Mittelstadt, Bailey, Guhle, and Ullmark). The caveat, however, is that there would be no financial room to upgrade the defense without moving some of that aforementioned dead weight. But where there's a will, there's a way! Kane and Lehner trades, for example, could include salary dumps and defensemen help.

Uh...wut

What is a superstar center worth? One of the best centers in the game today, and will continue to be for his career. His trade value as a rental right now would be through the roof, never mind signed long term. Maybe not 4 1st rd picks but he would bring in one he'll of a return under contract.

Edited by LikeEich

What is a superstar center worth? One of the best centers in the game today, and will continue to be for his career. His trade value as a rental right now would be through the roof, never mind signed long term. Maybe not 4 1st rd picks but he would bring in one he'll of a return under contract.

Nobody will ever trade that much for a rental. Nobody is ever trading for a superstar, probable HoF, as a rental. It just doesn't make any sense

Heh.  Don't you realize that free agents come to Buffalo to watch their careers DIE?

Edited by Anordning

Give my post another read a little bit slower

You're saying maybe he doesn't fetch 4 1sts, but even if he doesn't, that his trade value as a rental is through the roof right now, and that he would be worth more if he was signed long term

I'm saying there is no point in considering him as a rental, for that very reason. Nobody is going to pay 'through the roof' for a top line center / captain / face of a franchise that would completely change the entire dynamic of their team and expect that all to mesh within 2 months. It would never, ever work, and no team is dumb enough to even try it, let alone pay anything significant for it

If isles were to shop him, I guarantee someone would be 2x1st or significant prospects just for the heightened chance of winning a cup. Look up Martin hanzal trade history.

Not to mention at this point in time they could discuss a contract extension before trading for him... I see your point though, would be a very tough trade to pull off without many available trade partners

My apologies for sloppy grammar and confusing mistakes. Mobile plus a funky autocorrect.

If isles were to shop him, I guarantee someone would be 2x1st or significant prospects just for the heightened chance of winning a cup. Look up Martin hanzal trade history.

Not to mention at this point in time they could discuss a contract extension before trading for him... I see your point though, would be a very tough trade to pull off without many available trade partners

My apologies for sloppy grammar and confusing mistakes. Mobile plus a funky autocorrect.

I just don't think any team would throw that giant of a wrench in that short of a time period, especially when, if they're buyers at the deadline, they're already contenders. No offense but Martin Hanzal is not John Tavares

Oops I accidently deleted that post. It read something like this:

None taken, he's definetly not on Tavares level. Where our opinions differ is I think of he was available, a contender wouldnt hesitate to sign him, that may or may not be correct. However there is a few teams that may not be contenders that see that acquisition as now being bonefide contenders. I believe there would be a rather strong market for him

Edited by LikeEich

You're saying maybe he doesn't fetch 4 1sts, but even if he doesn't, that his trade value as a rental is through the roof right now, and that he would be worth more if he was signed long term

I'm saying there is no point in considering him as a rental, for that very reason. Nobody is going to pay 'through the roof' for a top line center / captain / face of a franchise that would completely change the entire dynamic of their team and expect that all to mesh within 2 months. It would never, ever work, and no team is dumb enough to even try it, let alone pay anything significant for it

Oh there's always a team desperate or dumb enough.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.