10 Years Ago was One of The Darkest Days in Sabres History 7/01/07

Brawndo

Hopefully, 10 years after the dismantling of a great team, the events over the past few days are the catalyst for a new great hockey team in Buffalo.

oh i hope so, still remember going on the NHL website and seeing the picture of briere with a flyers shirt on :(

It was 100% Golisano.  I worked with the man.  He's the type that will F with you just because he can F with you.  Think Christie, only older and slightly less rotund.  Glad he no longer own the Sabres.

I know Regier gets blame for this but I don't think Golisano wanted to pay to keep them both. You could tell by his demeanor at the press conference

it was all Golisano.. I think Everyone new this to be true.. 

The original Ownership was the Knox brothers. They eventually had an ownership partnership and the team was heading to bankruptcy in 1997 and the Knox's and ownership partnership had to sell

Rigas owned the team when Hasek was leading us to the 1999 championship. Fact was we failed to buy some goal scoring help at the deadline for Hasek. Another missed opportunity to win a championship. Rigas could of easily wrote another loan off the books of Adelphia cable to get us over the top..  I mean the guy and his family had taken 3.1 billion from Adelphia completely off the books.. Why he couldn't of helped the Sabres with that crooked money is a mystery.. What would another $25 mil off the top be at that point

The NHL ran the Buffalo Sabres for almost a year until things were settled and Pegulas stepped in

Bottom line is the Sabres are beyond lucky to even still exist considering how we had 2 really owners in a row who trashed this team.. 

In hindsight it should of been a lot lot lot worse that it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.