Linesman Don Henderson suing Calgary's Wideman

Sabre fan

Crazy stuff...NHL Linesman Don Henderson, who got smoked from behind by Dennis Wideman a while back, is suing the player for 10 million dollars! The team, Calgary Flames, are also named in the suit.

Of course there was the issue of whether Wideman did it on purpose at the time and that remains a hotly debated subject (sure looked like he did it on purpose). Henderson has not been in a game since and his career is in jeopardy.

Rumors are that the NHL thought he had become a liability and his work was failing and open to debate as to whether he was doing a job worthy of the NHL. This should get real ugly I would think. Very interesting indeed...

Crazy stuff...NHL Linesman Don Henderson, who got smoked from behind by Dennis Wideman a while back, is suing the player for 10 million dollars! The team, Calgary Flames, are also named in the suit.

Of course there was the issue of whether Wideman did it on purpose at the time and that remains a hotly debated subject (sure looked like he did it on purpose). Henderson has not been in a game since and his career is in jeopardy.

Rumors are that the NHL thought he had become a liability and his work was failing and open to debate as to whether he was doing a job worthy of the NHL. This should get real ugly I would think. Very interesting indeed...

Link? I didn't realize at the time that Henderson was severely injured(?) during the altercation.  Hmm.

Why is the NHL not named in this lawsuit?

Ultimately can't this boil down to a workers compensation issue?  He's an employee who is injured on the job.  

Maybe there is a workers compensation case as well?

I don't know.  It's ugly.

Why is the NHL not named in this lawsuit?

Ultimately can't this boil down to a workers compensation issue? He's an employee who is injured on the job.

Maybe there is a workers compensation case as well?

I don't know. It's ugly.

I'm pretty far from being an employment attorney, but I'd guess these two are both the answer to your second question. Workers comp covers the NHL's liability, but not Wideman's and the Flames.

I'm pretty far from being an employment attorney, but I'd guess these two are both the answer to your second question. Workers comp covers the NHL's liability, but not Wideman's and the Flames.

We don't know if worker's comp covers the NHL, even.  We don't know what the CBA says about choice of law.  If it's silent, it's likely Alberta law would apply (that's where it happened), and I couldn't begin to tell you anything about Alberta worker's comp laws.

I do know this--maybe it's a good thing the Sabres never signed Wideman!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.